mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > FactorDB

Old 2019-07-11, 11:15   #1
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22·5·373 Posts
Default Query: Notation

When one queries numbers the status column sometimes shows "C" with an
asterisk. What is the meaning of the asterisk?

The "tested" column sometimes is blank, sometimes shows a dash (-), sometimes
shows 0 and sometimes shows 5. Will someone knowledgeable please explain
the notation?
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-11, 11:40   #2
axn

Jun 2003

19·271 Posts

Asterisk means the number was not previously in the DB, but your querying caused it to be added. If you requery the same number, it will not appear.
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-11, 12:17   #3
RichD

Sep 2008
Kansas

23·431 Posts

The “tested” column was used in FactorDB 1.0. If one clicks on the question mark next to tested, a cryptic message will appear. Similarly, if one clicks on the “status” question mark a brief statement will appear similar to axn response above.

If I recall correctly, the “tested” was the level of tiny testing of a C or CF. The dash appears on P and FF numbers. When a number was added to the database it would start at level 0. Each subsequent query would generate a split second of low level testing. I don’t recall the exact values because it varied by composite size. Let’s say, level 1 testing was TF to a small value. Level 2 was ten curves at a tiny B1. Another level would be five curves at a slightly higher B1. Another would be P+1 and/or P-1 testing - all at tiny levels. The current version of FactorDB does all five levels on the next query. And further tracking has yet to be implemented.
RichD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-11, 13:30   #4
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

271816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
Asterisk means the number was not previously in the DB, but your querying caused it to be added. If you requery the same number, it will not appear.
That is a cool idea.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-11, 13:49   #5
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
That is a cool idea.
Much obliged to those who responded.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-30, 13:29   #6
BudgieJane

"Jane Sullivan"
Jan 2011
Beckenham, UK

1000101012 Posts

Quote:
Is there a way to query something(s) and for the number not to be added to the DB if it wasn't previously there? If not, can this facility be added?
BudgieJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-30, 14:09   #7
axn

Jun 2003

19·271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgieJane View Post
Is there a way to query something(s) and for the number not to be added to the DB if it wasn't previously there? If not, can this facility be added?
Not that I know of. You can contact Syd (http://www.factordb.com/imp.html) and ask for this feature. Not sure he will be inclined. I think the core principle of factordb is the democratization of factoring information. So, if a number is of interest to someone, factordb will create an entry for it, and (if it is small enough) factorize it as well.
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-02, 09:47   #8
BudgieJane

"Jane Sullivan"
Jan 2011
Beckenham, UK

1000101012 Posts

Quote:
Not that I know of. You can contact Syd (http://www.factordb.com/imp.html) and ask for this feature. Not sure he will be inclined. I think the core principle of factordb is the democratization of factoring information. So, if a number is of interest to someone, factordb will create an entry for it, and (if it is small enough) factorize it as well.
I'm thinking of the situation I had the other day where I accidentally added a lot of new numbers to the database. I requested (a^n-b^n)/(a-b) where I obviously gave the numeric values for a, b and a-b, and I wanted n to run from something silly like 91, and show 200 examples in the reply. Then I decided there were too many FF numbers in the result and I couldn't see the wood for the trees, so I opted not to receive the FFs, but I forgot to reduce the number of items in the reply to something sensible like 20. This then generated an awful lot of new entries that I wasn't interested in, and it would have been better not to put the new numbers on the database.

I shall take up your idea and contact Syd, with my reasons for the suggestion.
BudgieJane is offline   Reply With Quote