mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2020-06-30, 17:25   #1
bostonabcd

Jun 2020

101002 Posts
Default NOT VERY TECH SAVVY ...PRIME 95 question!

Hello
i searched for the answer to my question on this forum and i was not able to find the answer (or make sense of the answers). I apologise if the answer is already out there.

1) I just build my first PC (details below)

2) Someone suggested I run PRIME 95 as a stress test

3) The first stress test BSODed in the first few hours and I got an error message that said the following:

I googled the event id and bug code. There were numerous answers that i could make sense of.
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
BugcheckCode">340
"BugcheckParameter1">0xffffcc8fd3e95000
"BugcheckParameter2">0xfffff90d98d32600

4) The second stress test: has been running for 18 hours ( I am wondering when to stop it? )

It seems to be running fine but on of the test it gave this error (i googled it ..again lot of answers and i was intimidated)

[Tue Jun 30 02:55:34 2020]
Self-test 2304K passed!
Self-test 2304K passed!
Self-test 2304K passed!
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
Self-test 2304K passed!
Self-test 2304K passed!
Self-test 2304K passed!
Self-test 2304K passed!
Self-test 2304K passed!
Self-test 2304K passed!
Self-test 2304K passed!

Can someone please tell me what this means? Can i stop the test now? does that mean something is wrong? I have 3 days to return the parts to amazon.

Settings: I used the default prime95 settings (something =16)
No overclocking etc
I have XMP on

PC details:

Motherboard: Gigabyte-X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor, 3593 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Hard Drive: Model Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB NVMe (the latest kind of M.2 drive)
RAM: 32GB DDR4 Dual chalnnel 3200 Mhz (16+16)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 31.9 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB (maybe because stress test is going on)
Available Physical Memory 3.57 GB
Total Virtual Memory 41.5 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.26 GB
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable

Tnhanking you in advance
Cheers
bostonabcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-30, 17:53   #2
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2·1,723 Posts

The last posted issue similar to this was solved by turning off XMP.

Install some thermal software and measure your temperatures with it.
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-30, 17:54   #3
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

2×2,213 Posts

Other smarter member can add more but in short:

BSOD suggests a hardware error. Could be CPU/RAM/MB
You should be able to download utilities to specifically test each component to determine where the fault is.

The following also suggests a hardware error:
Code:
Post what messages are in stress.txt.

Welcome and good luck.
petrw1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-30, 21:10   #4
S485122

Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

62E16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
You don't need the user to post the content of stress.txt : just download any more or less recent version of the software (prime95 or mprime). It is one of the text files accompanying the program.
(My thoughts about this are that modern CPU's can't work at their full advertised potential : one has to limit them, even when using advance thermal solutions. I tend to set a power utilisation limit, well under the specifications, like 140 W for a processor that should be able to cope with 165 W. Of course if you just intend to use the processor for other things than Prime95 or such, just gaming for instance, don't bother :-)

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-01, 01:00   #5
bostonabcd

Jun 2020

22·5 Posts

You maybe onto something here !

Please read this update:

Prime95 test:
  • I terminated Prime95 at 19 hours.
  • Please see image attached for the default settings used in these tests ( 16 Torture threads with a Blend of FFTS)
  • I never figured out why the BSOD happened with I ran Prime 95 with the same settings the first time (this is the event id and the related info I could find)
  • The second run was the one that ran for 19 hours
  • I had to stop it...it kept running
  • only one error: FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4.Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

Note:
Stress.txt was a file with genral information not specific to the tests I ran . I saw a file called Results.txt where these tests were listed.

After this I did a RAM test ...I had an issue with MEMTEST

Trial 1:
- I ran 6 instances of MEMtest at 3200 MB
- 3 crashes at 20% coverage
- I reset the bios and turned XMP off ...and it ran to 110% coverage

Trial 2:
- I had the RAM in A1 and B1 slots (alternative slots)...manual suggested A2 and B2...Not sure how it matters...but I changed it to A2 and B2

- After that I turned XMP on, ran 8 instances of MEMtest with 3200 MB.... and it ran till 190% coverage with no errors!

Does this say anything to any of you? Please advise.

I tried to be as descriptive as possible

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
The last posted issue similar to this was solved by turning off XMP.

Install some thermal software and measure your temperatures with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	22678  

Last fiddled with by bostonabcd on 2020-07-01 at 01:39
Old 2020-07-01, 01:07   #6
bostonabcd

Jun 2020

22·5 Posts

Jacob
I am not very knowledgebale in what you have said. I just did basic BIOS stuff..AKA set the XMP which I understand is some basic form of overclocking. I don't even know what I am testing the PC so intensely for. I just want to make sure everything is working before my Amazon return window expires. Please see my reply toPaull Underwoods reply in case that gives you and idea!
THanks and cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
You don't need the user to post the content of stress.txt : just download any more or less recent version of the software (prime95 or mprime). It is one of the text files accompanying the program.
(My thoughts about this are that modern CPU's can't work at their full advertised potential : one has to limit them, even when using advance thermal solutions. I tend to set a power utilisation limit, well under the specifications, like 140 W for a processor that should be able to cope with 165 W. Of course if you just intend to use the processor for other things than Prime95 or such, just gaming for instance, don't bother :-)

Jacob
Old 2020-07-01, 01:10   #7
bostonabcd

Jun 2020

22×5 Posts

There was no major information on stress.txt...it was some basic information on how Prime 95 worked etc. I found a file called Results.txt...maybe that is what you want....If yes...I am attaching it herewith. Please advise. And please check my reply to Paul Underwoods reply in case that gives u any information.

Also can you suggest some utilities to specifically test each component. I have short listed some ..please add if you know of anything else

Realbench - http://rog.asus.com/tag/realbench/
MemTest64 - http://www.techpowerup.com/memtest64/ (I have already ran this ...if you can please check my reply to Paul Underwood's reply u will find the info)
PassMark BurnInTest - https://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm
Ryzen Master - https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master
Afterburner - https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner

Thanks and Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
Other smarter member can add more but in short:

BSOD suggests a hardware error. Could be CPU/RAM/MB
You should be able to download utilities to specifically test each component to determine where the fault is.

The following also suggests a hardware error:
Code:

Welcome and good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: txt results.txt (50.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 2020-07-01, 02:00   #8
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2·1,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersenneforum View Post
- I had the RAM in A1 and B1 slots (alternative slots)...manual suggested A2 and B2...Not sure how it matters...but I changed it to A2 and B2

- After that I turned XMP on, ran 8 instances of MEMtest with 3200 MB.... and it ran till 190% coverage with no errors!

Does this say anything to any of you? Please advise.

I tried to be as descriptive as possible

Cheers
Now that the RAM is in the correct slots, check out the temperature differences with some software that connects to your computer's thermal sensors. Run without and with Prime95. If it is tolerable and Prime95 runs without issue you are good to go.
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-01, 02:29   #9
bostonabcd

Jun 2020

22·5 Posts

Okay. Thanks for the suggestion...I am doing this now...How long would you suggest I run Prime 95...its been abt 5 minutes so far! "Tolerable" would be less than 80 degrees Celsius? I will update temperatures at 20 minutes …

Strange thing is happening: One of the cores temperature (I think) is abt 81degrees vs the rest of them being around 35~40 degrees! Not sure if its cause of how the "workers" are working but it was an immediate difference I see!

Quote:
Now that the RAM is in the correct slots, check out the temperature differences with some software that connects to your computer's thermal sensors. Run without and with Prime95. If it is tolerable and Prime95 runs without issue you are good to go.

Last fiddled with by bostonabcd on 2020-07-01 at 02:39
Old 2020-07-01, 03:03   #10
bostonabcd

Jun 2020

22·5 Posts

Paul

Please see attached images with temperatures etc...

- Image 1: Before starting Prime95
- Image 2: After 35 minutes of Prime95 (please pay attn to TMPIN2 which has been consistently higher than the others..I am not sure what part of the MBD it is measuring)

UPDATE: at 48 minutes, TMPIN2 = 84 degrees

please let me know if one could consider this tolerable..I will update this reply with more images once in a while

And I hope this is what you were suggesting that I measure :)

and thanks :)
Cheers

Quote:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before_Prime95.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	22680   Click image for larger version

Name:	After_Prime_95_running_for_35_minutes.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	22681  

Last fiddled with by bostonabcd on 2020-07-01 at 03:13
Old 2020-07-01, 03:18   #11
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

442610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersenneforum View Post
Paul

Please see attached images with temperatures etc...

- Image 1: Before starting Prime95
- Image 2: After 35 minutes of Prime95 (please pay attn to TMPIN2 which has been consistently higher than the others..I am not sure what part of the MBD it is measuring)

Cheers
Is it possible you are running the stress test with only 1 core (TMPIN2)?
81 degrees is not that bad for a CPU running at 100%.
But with the others being in the 40 degrees range it I would guess they are not doing much.

I would think that if the stress test runs error free for a few hours (and is truly working all cores) I would stop it and try a few DCs as the next true test of reliability.

Enjoy
petrw1 is online now   Reply With Quote