mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2011-12-24, 01:29   #1
Matt

Feb 2007
San Francisco, Calif, USA

17 Posts
Default Prime95 not respecting default account work-type

I installed Prime95 on several of my computers today. I have my default account work-type set to "D - LL double-check". When I started the programs, I used all of the defaults except for setting my account name, computer ID, and setting the stage 2 memory. When I logged into the web site to check the work assignments, the computers show LL instead of D for the work type. According to the flowchart on http://mersenne.org/worktype/ this should not have happened.

What went wrong? Is there another setting that I have missed?

I will not be able to access these computers for a week. Can I fix this without having to touch each computer? Is there a way to release the current assignments and have them get a double-check assignment instead using the mersenne.org web site?

I'm using version 26.6 on 32-bit Windows 7.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 02:21   #2
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·2,399 Posts

I don't know why it wouldn't respect the account worktype, but you can try manually setting the preferences for each worker thread on PrimeNet. Go to http://www.mersenne.org/cpus/, and click on the computer name to be able to change worker preferences. If there's something there currently, or if you accidentally set preferences on the computers themselves, that overrides the Account preference. Setting them either to 'Do what makes sense' (should then respect acc. pref.) or just 'Double Check' should fix the issue in the future. From your 'Assignments' page you ought to be able to unreserve whatever was assigned; be careful though, because your computers won't find out until tomorrow at the next update, and I can't guarantee they'll stop and pick up new assignments.

If all else fails, when you next get to the computers next week, you can put
WorkPreference=101
below each worker in prime.txt . That is rather a pain, but it will fix the behavior. (You can also do the same from the menus in Prime95, without having to fiddle with the files. 101 is the DC worktype.)

Last fiddled with by Dubslow on 2011-12-24 at 02:23
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 02:44   #3
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

442910 Posts

Whatever you have on the PC itself will override anything else including your settings on PrimeNet. When you list it as "D - LL Double Check" I can tell that is a PrimeNet Setting.

I would suggest you start by checking your PC settings.
I.e. in the Windows GUI on your PC do
Test...
Worker Windows...
and set there accordingly.
In this place DD is listed as "Double-check tests"

If you really don't want to do the LL there is no harm in unreserving it.
If you unreserve it at the PrimeNet server it won't get unreserved by your PC until the PC checks in to send new end dates or if you do it manually.

If you unreserve on your own PC it is immediate.
Advanced...
Unreserve Exponent.

Last fiddled with by petrw1 on 2011-12-24 at 02:44
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-28, 05:43   #4
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

22×7×317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
If you unreserve it at the PrimeNet server it won't get unreserved by your PC until the PC checks in to send new end dates or if you do it manually.
And only if there is no work started yet. Any exponent with some work already done on it will not be unreserved. You have to stop p95, edit worktodo file, delete the line with the exponent that you want to unreserve, then unreserve the exponent from primenet assignment page, then restart p95. You can also use the "Advanced/Unreserve Exponent" in p95 menu for work that was already started. The exponents will be unreserved from primenet next time when the computer checks in.
LaurV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-29, 01:28   #5
Matt

Feb 2007

17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
Whatever you have on the PC itself will override anything else including your settings on PrimeNet. When you list it as "D - LL Double Check" I can tell that is a PrimeNet Setting.
The settings on the PC are "Whatever makes the most sense." which means that, according to this flowchart, the client should use the settings in my PrimeNet account.

This is definitely a bug. I ran some tests on my laptop today and the assignments are random each time.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Run program.
2. Click on "Join GIMPS"
3. Enter user ID and computer name, then click OK
4. Set Daytime and nighttime memory to 1024, then click OK
5. On Worker Windows dialog click OK.

The first time I ran this I received one LL and one D assignment. I quit, deleted the config files, then started over. I then received all TF assignments. When I tried again I received two LL assignments.

Where do I go to report this bug? Should I email George or is there a bug tracker that I should use?

Last fiddled with by Matt on 2011-12-29 at 01:37
Old 2011-12-29, 02:13   #6
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

160358 Posts

In the interim, you should use some of the methods above to manually set the default. There is no real bug place, except hopefully George will stop by this thread. If he hasn't shown up in a day or two then PM him here on the forum.
Old 2011-12-30, 06:36   #7
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

22·7·317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The first time I ran this I received one LL and one D assignment. I quit, deleted the config files, then started over. I then received all TF assignments. When I tried again I received two LL assignments.
I don't see any bug here. And there isn't anything wrong with it, except that the assignments you got are now locked for a month or two, if you did not bother to unsererve them. "Whatever makes sense" means "the most wanted" in THAT moment, "IF you computer can do it". As people reserve/complete/unreserve expos every moment, it can be that now a DC is the most wanted, but after few seconds later a TF should be most wanted. Especially when you "locked" the DC work in the way you said you locked it. At least, do you remember the exponents? To resume the work on them, or unreserve it?

A bug should be when you requested TF or P-1 work and got DC or LL work instead.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2011-12-30 at 06:40
LaurV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-30, 07:46   #8
Matt

Feb 2007

17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
I don't see any bug here.
It's a bug because it's not doing what the documentation states. I already posted the steps to reproduce the error. I would welcome your assistance with testing this problem and seeing if you can reproduce it. Set your PrimeNet default work-type to "D - LL double check" then perform the steps I listed in my last post.

Quote:
And there isn't anything wrong with it, except that the assignments you got are now locked for a month or two, if you did not bother to unsererve them.
I unreserved the exponents after I completed my tests and before posting my findings in the post above.

Quote:
"Whatever makes sense" means "the most wanted" in THAT moment, "IF you computer can do it".
I believe you have a misunderstanding of how the assignment system works. I am basing my understanding on the documentation located at http://mersenne.org/worktype/. Please read the section titled "How to remotely control your CPU workload using the GIMPS PrimeNet web site" and look at the flowchart on the same page. I linked to the flowchart in a previous post.

According to that page, if the client is set to "Whatever makes sense" then the user account preference is looked at next to see what assignment to make. My user account preference is for double checks, but I am not getting double checks.

Quote:
A bug should be when you requested TF or P-1 work and got DC or LL work instead.
Then it's a bug. I requested DC and only occasionally received DC.
Old 2011-12-30, 18:25   #9
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

11100000111012 Posts

Seems like a bug to me. If all threads are set to 'do what makes sense' and there is an account level preference for DC, then he should only be getting DC, which is not the case.