Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2011-12-08, 19:00   #1
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

100000101100012 Posts
Default virgina tech university shootings

another shooting going on at Virginia tech university apparently the last time it happened in 2007,30 dead so far the dead are 2 in the current battle, and yes the school is on lockdown, watching it on cnn.

Last fiddled with by science_man_88 on 2011-12-08 at 19:01
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 01:20   #2
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

8,369 Posts

sadly there was another shooting today in Hollywood. there's only so many suicidal gun using maniacs In this world hopefully these where the last 2.
Old 2011-12-11, 10:29   #3
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

26·3·17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
sadly there was another shooting today in Hollywood. there's only so many suicidal gun using maniacs In this world hopefully these where the last 2.
It would be so much easier if it were that simple.
Anyone can harbour problems which neither they themselves, nor the outside world including the people closest to them, ever suspect. Anyone can suddenly experience a psychosis or similar crisis after a previously healthy existence and do something which is out of character and incomprehensible to everyone who knows them, something which can change things forever and possibly destroy other lives in addition to their own. I am in fact speaking from my own experience. It was traumatic and completely incomprehensible to me at the time.
So the human race does not neatly fall into gun using maniacs and non gun using maniacs.

Perhaps this thread would do better in the Soap Box?
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 14:25   #4
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

8,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
Perhaps this thread would do better in the Soap Box?
yeah I guess since I'm kinda offtopic either way.
Old 2011-12-12, 03:06   #5
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

24·107 Posts

Brian,
I'm curious as to your story...if you are up to telling the tale...it reminds me of a roommate in college that flipped out when he was flunking his senior project, the first class he had *ever* flunked....what I know of it (from the dean of students, who was asking me what I knew) is that he started walking, he knew not where, in a daze.....

From a political standpoint, I do like to not have guns around, because they amplify the severity of such problems -- If I start pounding someone with my fists, they and I are likely to survive, but if I start shooting, the person I shoot is dead, and I am also likely to get shot.

In the mean time, I'd like to remind everyone that a significant number of people do die on our roads every single day, and more are permanently crippled, but this is not news. VA Tech/Blacksburg is probably the SAFEST place to be in America right now.
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 01:10   #6
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

326410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christenson View Post
From a political standpoint, I do like to not have guns around, because they amplify the severity of such problems -- If I start pounding someone with my fists, they and I are likely to survive, but if I start shooting, the person I shoot is dead, and I am also likely to get shot.
Yes, this potential branch of discussion may well be the reason why a moderator moved this thread to the Soap Box.
I am in full agreement with you here. And I believe the arguments you provide are important enough to justify making the possession of fire-arms by members of the general public illegal. This is the case in much of Europe. Guns used for sport shooting should not be taken away from the shooting range where they should be secured when not in use. (Though this can be problematical: keeping the firearms all locked up in one place could in itself be a horrifying hazard if the security is breached. So I'm somewhat unsure about this.)

P.S. Sorry not to elaborate on my "story". It's unique, and any details I gave would yield results from Google and breach confidentiality. Thanks for your account of your college room-mate.
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 03:07   #7
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

24·107 Posts

I was thinking more of the emotional impact on you of telling the tale than I was of confidentiality...but the point is well taken anyway.

I wish our own NRA would take the attitude that guns should be kept out of the hands of criminals...that is, locked up securely when not in use.

And yes, there could be a hundred guns at the shooting range, but if every one of them had a non-trivial owner's lock on or around it, and quite possibly missing parts, a lot of locks have to be broken and parts found or replaced to make an arsenal. Lots and lots of planning required there....
Old 2011-12-13, 14:21   #8
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

836910 Posts

Quote:
And yes, there could be a hundred guns at the shooting range, but if every one of them had a non-trivial owner's lock on or around it, and quite possibly missing parts, a lot of locks have to be broken and parts found or replaced to make an arsenal. Lots and lots of planning required there....
the problem is randomizing the placement because although hard it's not impossible unless you random the placement so that the odds of breach so many separate areas and finding each part becomes nearly impossible.
Old 2011-12-13, 15:56   #9
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

6,451 Posts
Default Famous Belgians

A new addition from Liege.

I agree this observation is a bit risque even by my standards.

But I can't help contemplating the power of suggestion.

David
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 23:52   #10
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

32608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieddy View Post
A new addition from Liege.

I agree this observation is a bit risque even by my standards.

But I can't help contemplating the power of suggestion.

David
You are making exactly as much sense as SM88 here...are you sure this was the right spot to post????

SM88: What if half the action (say the bolt for a bolt-action rifle) was kept at my house...not at the range...?
Old 2011-12-14, 01:25   #11
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

8,369 Posts

Quote:
You are making exactly as much sense as SM88 here...are you sure this was the right spot to post????

SM88: What if half the action (say the bolt for a bolt-action rifle) was kept at my house...not at the range...?
what I'm saying is say there are 3 places A,B,C ( I was thinking more on range but I can try to deal with off range)

A-list:

part 1 -bolt action rifle

B-list:

part 2 -bolt action rifle

C-list:

part 3 -bolt action

to get all three things they need to break into 2 different places to get the others even with one in their home. also maybe every day the placement changes to something new.

lets now say there are 100 places we use for storing 3 weapon parts to find so we have:

x part(s) in a place broken into

for x ranging from 0 to 2 and so 4 choices ( obviously one bad one at very least) how many ways can you place those parts in the 100 places so that the person trying to get at it won't get the gun.