mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2022-11-22, 22:07   #1
raresaturn

Jul 2021

2·19 Posts
Default Assignment "belongs to another user" ??

I got an error for one on my assigned jobs: "belongs to another user" even though it's assigned to me and I've completed 90% of it. The exponent is 112327459. How can I get this fixed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	primeError.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	27662  
raresaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-22, 22:54   #2
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

11111110110012 Posts

Make sure your user id is entered properly in the Test/Primenet dialog box?
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-22, 23:03   #3
raresaturn

Jul 2021

2×19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Make sure your user id is entered properly in the Test/Primenet dialog box?
Yep that fixed it, thanks. It must have cleared when I updated to the latest version. The problem now is that the exponent is listed as 0% complete instead of 92%. Does it take a while the status to 'catch up' ?
EDIT: and now it's saying 0.2% on the exponent report page. Dammit how can I lose 92%? That's a month of work

Last fiddled with by raresaturn on 2022-11-22 at 23:47
raresaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-22, 23:28   #4
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·11·503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raresaturn View Post
Yep that fixed it, thanks. It must have cleared when I updated to the latest version. The problem now is that the exponent is listed as 0% complete instead of 92%. Does it take a while the status to 'catch up' ?
I have found that software developers do the best they can. There are always "edge cases". Serious programmers welcome reports on these.

Developers also (currently) tend to be humans. Pointing out our errors is welcomed.

At the same time... Please give us time to work them.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-23, 01:16   #5
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

1CC316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raresaturn View Post
I assumed when it uploaded to the server it stayed on the server.
There's part of the problem.
It does NOT upload snapshots of saved work in progress to the PrimeNet server. That is, the save files from which you may resume are never uploaded, they stay local. If you delete them in the course of updating application version, that's on you. If you put the new version in a different folder than the old, the new version and George are not sufficiently prescient to know, nor is the code implemented AFAIK to search for where you stored the old version and its save files and guess you intend it to resume from those. By default, the program only looks in its own folder. I don't think the PrimeNet API even supports upload of interim or final residue files. Only proof files, after the PRP with proof generation is completed. AFAIK, there is no provision in the PrimeNet API to download work in progress to a new install either. (A variation of that upload and download you seem to have assumed the existence of, has been discussed occasionally, for reducing lost work when someone abandons an assignment, and ruled out by various resource limitations on the server / economic considerations.)

What gets reported to the server is occasionally (typically daily) an indication of how far the computation has progressed and what type and stage is running. And periodically, the least significant 64 bits of interim residue at certain interim iteration values of primality tests. ("assignment progress") Those are of order 1KB or less total. Not the (exponent) number of bits or multiples thereof that are stored locally as save files or backup save files. (n x 111M / 8 ~ 14 n Mbytes in your case.)
It's possible to have several versions of prime95 and several versions of various GPU applications stored on the same hard drive, each in a separate folder, and they are all unaware of each others' existence.

It's best to know when you don't know or are not sure what you're doing, and to proceed carefully. Doing an upgrade when a computation is 0-10% complete is much less risky than at 90-100% complete. And in some cases, the program documentation warns that certain computation types WILL start over from zero if upgrade occurs midstream. I think P-1 stage 2 was the last case of that.

Copying into an existing working folder, while the program is stopped and exited, the changed files of a prime95 update is usually safe, within the limits of incompatible file formats or algorithms, which George will generally warn about in the documentation files.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2022-11-23 at 01:33
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-23, 01:37   #6
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

37×199 Posts

This might be applicable: https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpo...3&postcount=24
Check your HD for save files in old folders, and trash can / recycle bin / whatever.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2022-11-23 at 01:45
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote