pinhodecarlos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-29, 09:27   #13
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

3·23·149 Posts

Thai language is a tonal language. The same word said on a different tone could mean totally different things. For example the word "maa" (pronounced like mah, or mar in English, with silent r, and ah like in car, not with eh) could mean, depending on the tone you use, either "dog", "horse", or "to come". To say "the dog and the horse are coming", in Thai is "maa maa maa", but each maa has a different tone (about the same intonation like you would say "po-ta-to?" in English, with a higher pitch on "ta" and question mark at the end ).

Now, this can be quite confusing sometimes, you try to tell some beautiful words to your sweetheart and they will understand some insult... Therefore Thai has "polite words" for almost everything that could be offended, or could offend you. Even if it is no possibility of confusion. If you have a pet dog, they won't call it "maa", as "ma" can mean any stray dog, or just dog in general, and this may be insulting for your dog , so they have a "polite word" for dog. Like another, parallel, aristocratic language.

Sometimes with layers of politeness. Like "mr dog", or "dog, sir", or "his majesty the dog". But the new word has nothing to do with "ma". It is a totally new, unrelated phonetically, word.

Well, I have few British colleagues, and when I found out about UK's new prime minister, I was dying to go to the office next day, and ask them "Mee Sunak mai?" (listen to the sound, if the letters don't mean much for you)

(details may follow later)
(they all can speak fair Thai too, so they understand my question)

One told me that he is Scottish, so he only believes in the kingdom of Scotland

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2022-10-29 at 09:40
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-18, 19:09   #14
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

13·139 Posts

Posts on mathematics education up to age 18 have been split off into a new thread.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote