mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-05-18, 16:05   #34
M344587487
 
M344587487's Avatar
 
"Composite as Heck"
Oct 2017

23×71 Posts
Default

# in a script is a comment. # instead of $ in a terminal window at the prompt indicates that the terminal is opened as root instead of as a user. /dev contains special files mainly for interacting with devices (in Linux "everything is a file"). /dev/sda is your hard drive represented as a single file called a block device. In the example dd simply copies the block device representation of your hard drive to an actual file.
M344587487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-22, 00:58   #35
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
U.S.A.

1,213 Posts
Default

Why does Ubuntu have to be such a SOB about starting properly? I have yet to get it to start on the first try. Typical has been 4 to 7 attempts. I learned, if I hold the Shift key down and the Grub appears, it will usually load, but not always.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-22, 02:11   #36
PhilF
 
PhilF's Avatar
 
Feb 2005
Colorado

457 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
Why does Ubuntu have to be such a SOB about starting properly? I have yet to get it to start on the first try. Typical has been 4 to 7 attempts. I learned, if I hold the Shift key down and the Grub appears, it will usually load, but not always.
At the command prompt (either logged in as root or using sudo), try:

update-initramfs -u

Then:

update-grub

That might fix your grub configuration problem. Of course, you don't want anything to go wrong, so make sure you are backed up first. Murphy's Law states that if you are fully backed up, then you won't need it.

If the command update-initramfs isn't found, you may need to install the package "initramfs-tools".
PhilF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-22, 15:49   #37
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
U.S.A.

22758 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
At the command prompt (either logged in as root or using sudo), try:

update-initramfs -u

Then:

update-grub

That might fix your grub configuration problem. Of course, you don't want anything to go wrong, so make sure you are backed up first. Murphy's Law states that if you are fully backed up, then you won't need it.

If the command update-initramfs isn't found, you may need to install the package "initramfs-tools".
There have been four minor updates since I installed it, I believe. I passed on 20.04. It seems to me like the grub should be shown without any user action, like holding down the Shift key. It's a slow loader with a "spinner." I put a SSD in my Windows 10 rig. A huge improvement. I imagine the result would be similar with Ubuntu.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-22, 16:05   #38
PhilF
 
PhilF's Avatar
 
Feb 2005
Colorado

457 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
There have been four minor updates since I installed it, I believe. I passed on 20.04. It seems to me like the grub should be shown without any user action, like holding down the Shift key. It's a slow loader with a "spinner." I put a SSD in my Windows 10 rig. A huge improvement. I imagine the result would be similar with Ubuntu.
Those commands don't have anything to do with updating linux. They pertain to updating/recreating the current configuration files of initramfs and grub on your hard drive.

Once you are successfully booted in, I'm hoping that running those commands will make that configuration stick.
PhilF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-24, 13:42   #39
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
U.S.A.

1,213 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
...Once you are successfully booted in, I'm hoping that running those commands will make that configuration stick.
Much improved. Complete start-up on the first try. Thank you!
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
login on ubuntu wildrabbitt Software 16 2015-12-06 00:24
Ubuntu storm5510 Linux 24 2013-11-08 20:59
Ubuntu saddies ET_ GPU Computing 12 2013-05-14 14:30
Ubuntu 9.10 henryzz Linux 11 2010-01-29 21:31
mprime under Ubuntu? Unregistered Linux 8 2007-11-23 23:03

All times are UTC. The time now is 10:54.

Thu Jun 4 10:54:02 UTC 2020 up 71 days, 8:27, 0 users, load averages: 1.27, 1.38, 1.31

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.