mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Prime Sierpinski Project

Old 2006-07-20, 15:00   #1
VJS

Dec 2004

13·23 Posts

Going to be reserving a new range soon...

This question is to LTD or citrix and PenDragon, Joe was going to release a new dat for SOB in early august. I was curious about PenDragon is he/are you still working on yourrange. I could finish up what's left in a few days.
VJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-23, 06:39   #2
ltd

Apr 2003

11000001002 Posts

I tried to contact PenDragon before i went for my working weeks.
If i find no answer when i get home on thursday i will release the ranges reserved by PenDragon for sieving and also for PRP Testing.

The PRP ranges will fall into the pool for the llrnet server.

Greetings from Lichtenstein,

Lars
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-23, 09:24   #3
Mystwalker

Jul 2004
Potsdam, Germany

3·277 Posts

His last visit to the Team Ninja forum was the 24th June 2006:
http://www.team-ninja.com/vbulletin/...&sort=username

If he doesn't respond, maybe there is someone who can contact him.
Mystwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-23, 14:14   #4
VJS

Dec 2004

13·23 Posts

O.K. let me know I'll finish off his ranges as soon as you release them. It would be nice to have these lower ranges done when Joe updates the dat. Not sure if you have sent factors to Joe recently, if not it would be great if you could send everything early august.
Old 2006-07-23, 14:23   #5
ltd

Apr 2003

22×193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJS
O.K. let me know I'll finish off his ranges as soon as you release them. It would be nice to have these lower ranges done when Joe updates the dat. Not sure if you have sent factors to Joe recently, if not it would be great if you could send everything early august.
The ranges from PenDragon are no problem for the SOB dat file as they are not combined.
But as i will create a new dat file also i agree that these ranges should be finished before the creation of new dat files.
I have send all factors that i have to Joe sometime last weekend and will do so again next weekend.

Lars
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-24, 17:39   #6
VJS

Dec 2004

13·23 Posts

I understand this but I'm more concerned about the combined dat. Alot of work in both projects has been conducted lately and it should reduce the combined dat fairly substaintially.

If you sent factors last week I wouldn't worry too much, Joe will ask before he creates one.

The main issue is upon creation of each, dat Joe and I go through the process of looking for gaps and incomplete ranges. If there are existing holes from users they somewhat hinder the process b/c you have to guestimate the factor drop off density. This is the same problem with including duplicate factors giving a false high factor density, etc.

I'm just looking over the ranges and its looking pretty good. Not much below 150T unsieved.

I believe both Joe and I were waiting for a prime from SOB but in any regards it's probably time for a new dat.

Last fiddled with by VJS on 2006-07-24 at 17:40
Old 2006-07-24, 19:04   #7
hhh

Jun 2005

22·3·31 Posts

The new .dat for the Sob part is independent from the PSP-part. You can go ahead and make a new dat, Lars will notice and make a new one accordingly.
Unlike you, I don't believe we will get a big performance burst by this. Factor density has dropped, sieve speed too, and I expect a speed increase of at most 1%. At this level I would almost fear more factor misses related to human error in the changing of the dat than recource wasting.
Yours H.
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-25, 14:31   #8
VJS

Dec 2004

13×23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh
The new .dat for the Sob part is independent from the PSP-part. You can go ahead and make a new dat, Lars will notice and make a new one accordingly.
Unlike you, I don't believe we will get a big performance burst by this. Factor density has dropped, sieve speed too, and I expect a speed increase of at most 1%. At this level I would almost fear more factor misses related to human error in the changing of the dat than recource wasting.
Yours H.

I think there is a little bit of miscommunication here...

AFAIK removing n from the dat has no effect on speed, memory footprint yes but speed no. The only effect on speed is n-range and number of k.

Also the dats are created by a program so there is just as much chance that the current dat is flawed as much as the new dat would be.

THe major issue behind making a new dat is archieve ability. Yes it is more important for SOB since we are currently do P-1. But beyond this it is purely archieve and gap checking. Gap checking is important due to factor drop off as you had suggested and human error.

Often people will keep their ranges for a few weeks or months. If there is a gap it gives us the possibility to go back at these people and say hey were are these factors... often times they are true gaps sometimes they are simple errors which are fixed quickly by an e-mail exhanging some files.