Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Puzzles

Old 2006-06-29, 05:26   #1
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2·4,441 Posts
Default Double the area, Double the volume.

I was presented the following problem:
Using the classical tools (unmarked straight-edge, marking device, and a compass [not the direction pointer]), consider a square with sides of 1 unit and an area of 1 square unit. Please construct a square that has double the area, 2 square units.

I figured out how to do that, no problem.

Then I was presented with the follow on.
Given a cube with the dimensions of 1x1x1 unit, "construct" a cube of double the volume. Again you are limited to the classical tools, assume that they can work in 3D space or that you can work on a sheet of paper that will be folded up into the cube.

I haven't given that one a solid go. Please keep the math simple and spoilerise.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-29, 07:16   #2
Chris Card

Aug 2004

2·5·13 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplicating_the_cube

Chris
Chris Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 09:37   #3
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

22×33×19 Posts
Default Doubling the cube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Card
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplicating_the_cube

Chris

Uncwilly.
This problem has been one of the major 3 problems known since antiquity.

Its surprising that you should resurrect it here.

It was made aware to me by an excellent maths master (Christian Brother) who never restricted himself to the syllabus and I am thankful to him for giving me an all round view of maths even at that level.

Incidentally the same problem was known to the ancients and is mentioned in the Bible too but cloaked differently when the priests of Baal were asked to double the cubical altar that already existed IIRC.

Yes the Bible is not meant to be superficially read and to understand it esp. in these modern times we must pray to the Holy Spirit.

The Bible is eternally true and hence encompasses all modern theories and those to come but remember there is only ONE TRUTH. not only Science which is but a branch of a gigantic tree which coordinate in the trunk AND roots.

Mally

Last fiddled with by mfgoode on 2006-07-01 at 09:40
mfgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-02, 04:49   #4
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2×4,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgoode
This problem has been one of the major 3 problems known since antiquity.

Its surprising that you should resurrect it here.
I had never run into this on before. I am not a math major and have had limited geometry experience.

I have found out (from following the links at the cited Wikipedia article), that for some odd reason, a politcal group has latched onto this . On of the followers of the founder of the group is the one that posed to me the problem.

Again, after looking at the above cited article, it seems that it was not Baal's followers.
Can you point to me the place in Bible were it shows up????

Quote:
Yes the Bible is not meant to be superficially read and to understand it esp. in these modern times we must pray to the Holy Spirit.
This is better suited to the Soapbox. If you do bring it up there, please give a reference to back your claim.

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2006-07-02 at 04:53
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-02, 13:12   #5
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

22×33×19 Posts
Lightbulb Doubling the cube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly
I had never run into this on before. I am not a math major and have had limited geometry experience.

I have found out (from following the links at the cited Wikipedia article), that for some odd reason, a politcal group has latched onto this . On of the followers of the founder of the group is the one that posed to me the problem.

Again, after looking at the above cited article, it seems that it was not Baal's followers.

This is better suited to the Soapbox. If you do bring it up there, please give a reference to back your claim.

Uncwilly: No matter. Strange how knowledge is intertwined.
You are right its not exactly mentioned in the Bible but has a connection from Greek Mythology.
However Elijah did build an altar 1Kings 18:32 KJV. The whole chapter should be read to get the full reference to the Context and matter under discussion.

For the problem itself and the two other related problems and the clear account of the doubling of the altar read a bit down

http://www.encyclopedia.jrank.org/ CRE_DAH/CUBE_Gr_K46os

Mally
Old 2006-07-02, 13:26   #6
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

22·33·19 Posts
Lightbulb Doubling the cube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly

You are right its not exactly mentioned in the Bible but has a connection from Greek Mythology.
However Elijah did build an altar 1Kings 18:32 KJV. The whole chapter should be read to get the full reference to the Context and matter under discussion.

For the problem itself and the two other related problems and the clear account of the doubling of the altar read a bit down

http://www.encyclopedia.jrank.org/CRE_DAH/CUBE_Gr_K46os

Mally
Old 2006-07-02, 23:59   #7
brunoparga

Feb 2006
Brasília, Brazil

3×71 Posts
Default Bible and Pi

I can't quote book and verse and everything but there's some place in the Bible where it says that pi *equals* three.
brunoparga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-03, 11:04   #8
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

22·33·19 Posts
Lightbulb Pi and Bible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunoparga
I can't quote book and verse and everything but there's some place in the Bible where it says that pi *equals* three.

An astute observation but not quite correct.

Refer Book 1 Kings ch.7 verse 23.[ KJV.]

www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v17/i2/pi.asp

Mally
Old 2006-07-03, 16:02   #9
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

22·33·19 Posts
Lightbulb URL

Quote:

http://www.encyclopedia.jrank.org/CRE_DAH/CUBE_Gr_K46os

Mally
:surprised
Uncwilly: I have had trouble opening up this URL given above from this forum.
Maybe you have too.
Well, Where there is a will there is a way.

Google - Chios doubling the cube- select about the third entry down
which is CUBE and you should get the works- all three problems I mentioned
and their solutions why they cannot be solved plus the account of the DELIAN priests and doubling the cubical altar.
So the origin is Greek Mythology and not Biblical.
All the best
Mally

Last fiddled with by mfgoode on 2006-07-03 at 16:03