1011001012 Posts

M.U.L.E on the Commodore 64.
delta_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-28, 19:06   #13
tom11784

Aug 2003
Upstate NY, USA

2·163 Posts

MULE is fun - have it for the original NES, but most of those games don't work for me anymore... wonder if I can find a decent ROM this evening after I get home
tom11784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-12, 13:36   #14
battlemaxx

Nov 2002

43 Posts

I like Phantasie from SSI and Lord Wood, and I still enjoy Colonization.
battlemaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 09:11   #15
olmari

Jul 2005
Vaasa, Finland

110102 Posts

Lucasarts Monkey Island -series! Those still grabs me even today ;)
olmari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-29, 23:50   #16
hatu

Mar 2006

108 Posts

i wouldnt consider this an oldie.. cuz it got shutdown by EA Inc. in september of 2004 but it was the greatest game ive ever played.. and ive played a couple thousand games on every console virtually. from atari to ps2 to PC.

it was for the pc, you were a space pilot in space. several solar systems and planets and sectors. it cost 30 million to make it and 5 years to complete.

it was made by Westwood Studios *command and conquer makers*!!!
but EA bought them out and release Earth and Beyond. then after exactly 2 years of service it got shutdown. it was a scifi MMORPG> definitely a badass game!

so now friends of mine *and a couple thousand spectators* are trying to bring it back. google search earth and beyond or enb in web or images and you'll know what i mean :)

badass game!

Edit: Extra large inlined pictures removed. Please use the attachment function.
hatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 06:08   #17
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

2·2,237 Posts

Spaceward Ho!

Interplanetary military/economic game, but simple enough to play quickly. Was mac-only for years in the early 90's, then a PC version made us happy.
-Curtis
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 21:05   #18
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2×3×1,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garo
There is an old old game that I played on the BBC micro at school back in the mid 80's. I don't remember it's name and maybe xilman on other UK old hands can help me on this. It was a very simple sort of god game where you had to allocate workers to food, flood control (I think there was a dyke somewhere in the game) and maybe one or two other activities. After each turn some random events happened and you either got a population increase or decrease.

It is a far cry from the games today, more than twenty years later. Just got myself Civ3 Conquests But I will never forget that game.
Can't help there. I didn't get my hands on a BBC micro until long after they became museum pieces.

Speaking of museum pieces, I came across a bunch of Suns today hidden under a bench in the lab --- several SS2, a SS1, a SS5 and an IPX. My collection already includes a SS1 and an SS5 but I'm very tempted by the other systems.

Not sure about my favouite games from the mists of history. The RML 380Z had a bunch of them, including several written by a friend of mine. His 3D noughts and crosses played a very mean game and hammered most challengers. "Snake" was real fun in those days, as was a Star Trek written in tiny Basic. There was a space traders game written in Basic which was really addictive but I can no longer remember its name. That one dates from the late 70's; I played it on an early 380Z in 79 or so and remember loading it from cassette tape.

I was playing Crowther & Woods' creation over 25 years ago. It was called ADVENT in those days and was wrotten in FORTRAN-IV. The username "xyzzy" has been taken on the forum, but "plugh" may still available, AFAIK. Never did get into Zork. Derivative upstart from DEC IMO.

Probably my favourite game of recent years was rogue, later to mutate into nethack. For multiplayer games, it has to be "hunt". All are playable on vt100-compatible terminals.

Which reminds me: I'd love to get an honest-to-$Deity VT100 for my collection. The closest I have is a vt420.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 00:05   #19
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

177316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman
Probably my favourite game of recent years was rogue, later to mutate into nethack. For multiplayer games, it has to be "hunt". All are playable on vt100-compatible terminals.l
If you are interested I actually have the source to rogue (actually there are four variants that I am aware of and I have the source to each). My favorite variant was advrogue, which is a descendent of the original rogue and a parent to xrogue and urogue. I've compiled advrogue on my Mac and actually play it from time to time. It will also compile under Cygwin. I actually had to fix a number of bugs along the way and on rare occasion it does segfault, but it is exceptionally playable.

A few years ago I decided to learn Java, so I decided to re-engineer advrogue in Java. I got about halfway done, but stopped when child #2 was born. I might continue again someday just because I would like to finish it, even if nobody else ever plays it. Although some here might view coding in Java as child's play, it is actually a very difficult game to port, especially if you try to maintain the original look and feel.

Anyways if you want to step into the wayback machine, I can send you the source.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 06:37   #20
Siemelink

Jan 2006
Hungary

22×67 Posts

[snip]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman
Probably my favourite game of recent years was rogue, later to mutate into nethack. For multiplayer games, it has to be "hunt". All are playable on vt100-compatible terminals.

Paul
Rogue also mutated into Moria (mid 80's), which later mutated into Angband (late 80's). When Angband got a rewrite the code base got so good that by now there at least 20 variants of that.
I've played Moria in the late 80s, Angband off and on since that. The last couple of years I've spent more time programming on Zangband then on playing it. The automatic player in that game completes with Prime95 for cycles on my PC.

Willem
Siemelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 17:41   #21
Greenbank

Jul 2005

2×193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garo
There is an old old game that I played on the BBC micro at school back in the mid 80's. I don't remember it's name and maybe xilman on other UK old hands can help me on this. It was a very simple sort of god game where you had to allocate workers to food, flood control (I think there was a dyke somewhere in the game) and maybe one or two other activities. After each turn some random events happened and you either got a population increase or decrease.
Yellow River Kingdom.

[edit] And if I remember correctly it was on the BBC Welcome disk. *google* Yep...

http://www.bbcmicrogames.com/acornsoft.html

As for the RM380Z (or 480Z) all I will say is "Robot Arena". I spent far too much time writing robots for that.

Last fiddled with by Greenbank on 2006-04-28 at 17:44
Greenbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 18:38   #22
akruppa

"Nancy"
Aug 2002
Alexandria

25·7·11 Posts

I re-played Wasteland and Pool of Radiance again in between exams. Those were really great role playing games. And I think I might just dig out Bard's Tale again, just for heck's sake... right now, I'm playing Wizardry 7. Relatively new by the standards of this thread (1997 afaik) but still a hell of a good game and wicked hard, too.

Alex
akruppa is offline   Reply With Quote