mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome of Trump having COVID-19?
Trump blaming the liberals, MSM, Chinese, Mexicans, etc. 15 41.67%
Trump surviving and the evangelicals claiming it is because they prayed for him. 1 2.78%
Trump surviving and claiming his faith saved him 2 5.56%
Trump surviving and claiming he was saved by hydrochroloquin hydroxychloroquine 9 25.00%
Trump surviving and evangelicals claiming his "chosen one" status 3 8.33%
Trump dying and the evangelicals painting him as a martyr. 1 2.78%
Trump survives and is humbled by the experience 4 11.11%
Trump has no covid, it's just a political stunt (*post #19-20) 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2020-10-04, 03:38   #34
phillipsjk

Nov 2019

5·13 Posts

I suspect he will survive, but with complications.

That invalidates most of the "god's favour" options.
phillipsjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-04, 13:27   #35
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

25×7×17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
…created a credibility crisis…
No, the credibility crisis has been there for quite a while.
I agree with the sentiment. However, any "credibility crisis" for this Admin's White House was resolved very early on. And that's granting the premise that there was any credibility to begin with. On January 22, 2017, two days after Inauguration Day, Kellyanne Conway offered "alternative facts" to further the lie that the inaugural had been better-attended than it actually was. "Credibility crisis" resolved -- no credibility, no "credibility crisis."

But that's assuming "credibility" has anything to do with facts or reality. Believability is actually in the mind of the beholder. This president's supporters believe (or at least accept) everything he says, even if it's self-contradictory. The whole notion of there being any such thing as objective facts or tests in reality, has long since gone by the boards.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-04, 13:37   #36
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
But that's assuming "credibility" has anything to do with facts or reality. Believability is actually in the mind of the beholder. This president's supporters believe (or at least accept) everything he says, even if it's self-contradictory. The whole notion of there being any such thing as objective facts or tests in reality, has long since gone by the boards.
That paragraph can apply equally to any religion (or cult, but I repeat myself) also.

Critical thinking is what is missing. It seems a lot of people don't even know what it is, let alone actually do it.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-04, 14:49   #37
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

380810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Critical thinking is what is missing. It seems a lot of people don't even know what it is, let alone actually do it.

Old 2020-10-04, 17:06   #38
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

23·211 Posts

"Trump survives and is humbled by the experience" was my pick. Perhaps there may be some changes in his behavior and attitudes.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-05, 00:51   #39
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

25×7×17 Posts

The president is being treated with dexamethasone, a (gluco)corticosteroid used to reduce inflammation.. From what I've read, it is not recommended for pneumonia unless it's pretty bad.

The president was also started on Remdesivir for five days, starting Friday. That would be until Tuesday. And that treatment is normally a hospital job, requiring careful monitoring, and being ready in case things head south.

The president supposedly took ill Thursday. (Or was it Wednesday?) Official statements said the 7 to 10 day period is critical. That means no earlier than Wednesday. (Or is it Tuesday?). But now they're saying he might be discharged Monday.

Leana Wen's WAPO column suggests an amusing explanation:
Quote:
There is another possibility. Perhaps the president is further along in his illness than we’ve been told. Maybe he is already past Day 10 and, while the nation is on edge, his medical team is confident the worst is behind him.
OTOH, that would also mean he was out and about, spreading the virus among his closest associates for a week...
Old 2020-10-05, 07:48   #40
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

26·157 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Is this a case of “Mom’s on the roof"?
Genuine LOL.

EDIT: We don't know nothin'. Confused tales float about. Motivations are obscure and conflicting. Between a return to jet-setting bombast, or increasingly diversionary statements from staff there's lots of room for speculation. My own guess is that he's not in very good shape. The projections shift. Some of the drugs mentioned are generally used in extreme circumstances.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-10-05 at 08:01
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-05, 08:16   #41
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
"Trump survives and is humbled by the experience" was my pick.
Having the words "Trump" and "humbled" in the same sentence is not something I would ever consider valid unless it had a negative association.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-05, 12:24   #42
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

1110111000002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Having the words "Trump" and "humbled" in the same sentence is not something I would ever consider valid unless it had a negative association.
We are in violent agreement, as this post indicates. A recent development does not indicate he has acquired any measure of humility.

Trump takes a brief car ride, ignoring own COVID infection
Quote:
In a short video released by the White House on Sunday, Trump insisted he understood the gravity of the moment. But his actions moments later, by leaving the hospital and sitting inside the SUV with others, suggested otherwise.

"This is insanity," Dr. James P. Phillips, an attending physician at Walter Reed who is a critic of Trump and his handling of the pandemic. "Every single person in the vehicle during that completely unnecessary presidential `drive-by' just now has to be quarantined for 14 days. They might get sick. They may die."

"For political theater," the doctor added. "Commanded by Trump to put their lives at risk for theater."
I am astounded every time I see supposedly intelligent, well-informed people being surprised or shocked that a narcissist acts like a narcissist, or indulging in wishful thinking that a narcissist won't act like a narcissist. The Secret Service agents in his protective detail are just props to him.

Besides, he's on Dexamethasone. Corticosteroids can make people euphoric. They can also make even normal people have delusions of grandeur, as portrayed in the movie Bigger than Life, which took a bit of artistic license with the true medical story Ten Feet Tall by Berton Roueché. Imagine what they might do to a narcissist.
Old 2020-10-05, 12:25   #43
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2·5·601 Posts

I have to wonder if the doctors providing care to Trump are the same doctors he is pawning off on America as the spokespersons on covid. I suppose if he were using them, he would probably already be dead.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-06, 00:36   #44
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

23·5·229 Posts
Angry

I wonder what any of us would have paid out of pocket for the Regeneron's cocktail which doesn't even have an EUA. "compassionate use"?? Unless you use your position because Schleifer was just schmoozing you at a WH party (and now try to prove that there will be not some tit-for-tat for this "compassionate use". Let's get some fat tax break to Regeneron, pronto.). I know a thing or two about typical "compassionate uses" at our children's hospital, and I can assure you that it doesn't happen at a finger flick. Try to get a Zolgensma for a child without insurance, eh? Will you get it to him in the afternoon after talking to some CEO on the phone? I don't think so.

"45 survives and is humbled by the experience". Har-dee-har-har.

Atlas and Conley, and before Conley what's his name ...Ronny Jackson, aw gawd.
Being treated by these people? What a thought.

In contrast I like Fauci's tempered and wise remarks (like this, for example) ...and good for him to make them from outside of WH.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote