LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

22·7·11·29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
re:6th walk
How come you don't know? You gave me that freaking icon! (or, was it Serge? )

(hehe, first time since I have it when actually find a use for it)

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2016-07-23 at 07:20
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-23, 08:53   #13
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

22×7×11×29 Posts

(time limit, sorry for the double post)

Mrs LaurV's favorite joke for a while now:

The wife sees the husband ready to go out and asks (a bit irritated):
"Where are you going?"
The husband (a bit grumpy):
"I go to meet my mistress".
The wife (now terrible angry):
"You are lying! You go hunting pokemons!"

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2016-07-23 at 08:55
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-23, 18:20   #14
MooMoo2

Aug 2010

22·3·72 Posts

I played Pokemon while driving earlier this week. I don't know which is worse:

1.) Playing while driving on the freeway/motorway/expressway not just for a minute or two, but for a continuous 25-30 minutes.
2.) The terrible traffic that made #1 not that dangerous. There were 8+ total lanes (4+ on each direction), no accidents or construction, and my max speed was probably 3 mph/5 km/h while I was playing. The worst accident that I could have caused would have been a minor scratch on my car or the other person's car.
3.) The fact that my speed was slow enough to make the game think I was "walking". So it counted several km towards hatching an egg, which felt like cheating.
MooMoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-23, 18:28   #15
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

202618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo2 View Post
I played Pokemon while driving earlier this week. I don't know which is worse:

1.) Playing while driving on the freeway/motorway/expressway not just for a minute or two, but for a continuous 25-30 minutes.
2.) The terrible traffic that made #1 not that dangerous. There were 8+ total lanes (4+ on each direction), no accidents or construction, and my max speed was probably 3 mph/5 km/h while I was playing. The worst accident that I could have caused would have been a minor scratch on my car or the other person's car.
3.) The fact that my speed was slow enough to make the game think I was "walking". So it counted several km towards hatching an egg, which felt like cheating.
the last sentence in #2 isn't exactly true technically if someone rams the back of close vehicles at highway speed and it hits another and another you have a chain reaction multi car pileup with many possibly dead.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 20:09   #16
The Carnivore

Jun 2010

3248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
.("WTF is a Pokemon")
Pokemon are similar to animals, with one main exception: you can capture pokemon in pokeballs and get them to fight for you.

Currently, research is underway to modify pokeballs to catch humans. These are called "Humeballs". They're still being perfected, but early results are promising: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5nehSs8PdQ
The Carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-25, 00:38   #17
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

26×157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
(time limit, sorry for the double post)

Mrs LaurV's favorite joke for a while now:

The wife sees the husband ready to go out and asks (a bit irritated):
"Where are you going?"
The husband (a bit grumpy):
"I go to meet my mistress".
The wife (now terrible angry):
"You are lying! You go hunting pokemons!"
LOL!
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-28, 17:58   #18
MooMoo2

Aug 2010

22×3×72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictordeHolland View Post
I haven't found any dead bodies yet with Pokemon Go.
I got close.

I took a mini-road trip last Saturday. On my way home, I passed by Long Beach, California and stopped by since it was rumored to be a Pokemon hotspot. There were about a hundred people there even at 11 PM at night.

I played for a while, and a few minutes before midnight, a Lapras showed up. I was happy catching it, but what really made me smile was seeing everyone run towards it and hearing the cheers and excitement.

I went home right afterwards, and within a few minutes, I saw a wrecked car on the left side of the road. One ambulance was near there, and there were lots of sirens in the distance. The next day, this was on the news:
http://lbpost.com/news/2000009818-ma...ically-injured

Quote:
A 22-year-old South Gate man was killed after he crashed his car into a palm tree while exiting the 710 Freeway in Long Beach over the weekend, according to authorities. His three passengers were critically injured.

Police were dispatched to southbound Shoreline Drive just north of the Broadway exit of the Long Beach (710) Freeway, regarding a single vehicle injury traffic collision at 12:05AM on Sunday, October 23, according to a release from the Long Beach Police Department (LBPD).

Arriving officers found the vehicle in the grass center median just east of Shoreline Drive and north of the Broadway exit, officials stated. They located three critically injured passengers and the deceased driver.
Quote:
11:57pm, 3 critical & 1 DOA @ 710 fwy/Broadway Exit. Single car crash into tree. Jaws of life used for extrication. LBPD investigating.
It seems a bit unreal that happiness and tragedy can strike at the same time, so close to each other. People were jumping and cheering while someone died a mile away. The Lapras might have spawned at the exact same time of the crash.
Old 2016-11-03, 05:40   #19
MooMoo2

Aug 2010

22×3×72 Posts

In case anyone's curious, I finally got all 142 pokemon that were catchable in North America. It took me about three and a half months and ~5 hours of play time a week. I didn't make any in-app purchases, but I did spend quite a bit of money on gas, parking, pokemon-related gear, etc. The experiences I got made the whole thing worth it, though.
Old 2016-11-04, 20:12   #20
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

131618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo2 View Post
In case anyone's curious, I finally got all 142 pokemon that were catchable in North America. It took me about three and a half months and ~5 hours of play time a week. I didn't make any in-app purchases, but I did spend quite a bit of money on gas, parking, pokemon-related gear, etc. The experiences I got made the whole thing worth it, though.
Now to start travelling the world to catch the last few. Gotta catch em all!!!
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-10, 11:43   #21
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

DB116 Posts

I want a version of Pokemon Go that uses a treadmill or a stair-stepper and just virtual wandering.

Not even asking for teleportation, although plane rides to other continents would be nice.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-16, 06:04   #22
MooMoo2

Aug 2010

22×3×72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
Now to start travelling the world to catch the last few. Gotta catch em all!!!
This guy did:
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoa...t_lapras_this/
Quote:
I've never done anything so ridiculous. Made a snap call at 10:30pm and was in the air two hours later. In a layover now. . I'm still not sure it was a good idea but I'm well on my way now. Things I need help with:
1) SIM card to get?
2) Least travel time to get some serious Lapras action
3) somewhere to stay
Items 1) and 2) take priority over item 3)