Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2020-03-13, 19:08   #1145
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

135638 Posts

So what are the chances of:
  • Trump not contracting the virus and the evangelicals claiming it to be proof of his godhood.
  • Trump contracting the virus and blaming the liberals, MSM, Chinese, Mexicans, etc.
  • Trump contracting the virus but surviving and the evangelicals claiming it is because they prayed for him.
  • Trump dying from the virus and the evangelicals painting him as a martyr.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-13, 19:17   #1146
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

22·33·7·13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
(You had a so large number of presidents..., difficult to find a property which none of them had - as we already had a talk today about the strong law of small numbers, hehe).
Not really - off the top of my head:

o No women;
o No asian or latino;
o No professed atheists, muslims, jews, or Mormons;

"No professed atheists" needs a bit of nuancing:
Quote:
Two of the most famous presidents in American history had no formal religious affiliation. The first, Thomas Jefferson, lost his faith in orthodox Christianity at an early age, but continued to believe in an impersonal God as the creator of the universe. Jefferson famously edited the New Testament by removing references to the miracles and leaving in Jesus’ teachings.

The second, Abraham Lincoln, was raised in a religious household and spoke frequently about God (particularly as president), but never joined a church. Scholars have long debated Lincoln’s beliefs, including the question of whether or not he was a Christian, and some aspects of his faith remain a mystery.

Lincoln is not the only president for whom there is some uncertainty surrounding his affiliation and beliefs. Some presidents were more private than others about their religious leanings and some may have evolved in their beliefs during their life.
I'm sure fellow readers can come up with quite a few more "none have been/done..." categories. There are alos lots of interesting "very few" ones, e.g. "who was the last US president who had no war during his term?, and "who was the only U.S. president who never married?
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-13, 19:54   #1147
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

73238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
<snip>

I'm sure fellow readers can come up with quite a few more "none have been/done..." categories. There are alos lots of interesting "very few" ones, e.g. "who was the last US president who had no war during his term?, and "who was the only U.S. president who never married?
Only never-married US President -- James Buchanan. Curiously, in modern times we had a man named Patrick Buchanan running for president (I don't know if he's related, but certainly not a direct descendant), and it was said at the time that he had never been married (though he married in 1971 and the marriage has lasted to this day).

Jefferson isn't the only of our Founding Fathers who was a Deist. So was Benjamin Franklin.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2020-03-13 at 20:01
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-13, 20:04   #1148
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

2×3×1,699 Posts

Quote:

o No women;
o No asian or latino;

No Hindus, Buddhists, ...

Ok, that was an easy extrapolation of your third example.

How about those born outside the US?

Ex-member of any number of professions, examples being astronauts and taxidermists.

We've had one (at least)in a wheel-chair but how many with prosthetic limbs?
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-13, 20:25   #1149
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3×5×11×23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
No Hindus, Buddhists, ...
<snip>
How about those born outside the US?
<snip>
Apart from those born before the founding of the republic, none.

Among candidates who come to mind, George Romney was born in Mexico, and John McCain was born in the Canal Zone.

The Constitution requires a President not born before the US existed be a "natural born citizen." Besides those born in the US and under US jurisdiction (so not the children of foreign diplomats) [Fourtenth Amendment] this generally allows those born of at least one citizen parent to be considered eligible.

Barack Obama was born in the US (Hawaii,1961), and his mother was a US-born citizen, but the false rumor that he was born outside the US (Kenya or Canada, depending on which issue of which tabloid you read) and not a citizen, was the beginning of the political career of the COWH.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2020-03-13 at 20:51
Old 2020-03-13, 20:33   #1150
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·5·11·23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
So what are the chances of:
  • Trump not contracting the virus and the evangelicals claiming it to be proof of his godhood.
  • Trump contracting the virus and blaming the liberals, MSM, Chinese, Mexicans, etc.
  • Trump contracting the virus but surviving and the evangelicals claiming it is because they prayed for him.
  • Trump dying from the virus and the evangelicals painting him as a martyr.
I don't know, but the Mayor of Miami, who also met with Bolsonaro et al the same weekend as COWH, has tested positive for coronavirus.

What are the chances that, if the situation gets really bad in this country, Il Duce blames Obama? Or says the general election will have to be cancelled?
Old 2020-03-13, 20:51   #1151
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

32·23·29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
What are the chances that, if the situation gets really bad in this country, Il Duce blames Obama? Or says the general election will have to be cancelled?
I think that he already blamed Obama for why we aren't prepared for the crisis. I wonder if he has the power to cancel the election. I would not put it past the Senate or Trump to do that.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-13, 20:59   #1152
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·5·11·23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I think that he already blamed Obama for why we aren't prepared for the crisis.
Maybe so.

I'm sure it's Obama's fault that in May of 2018, the Admin destroyed the NSC office that had been set up to deal with pandemics.
Old 2020-03-14, 04:14   #1153
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

893210 Posts

Quote:
o No women;
o No asian or latino;
Nothing like a joke killer... (reality is that I didn't expect it from you, but from other participants on this thread )
However, in the light of the discussion, Trump can't become woman, Latino, or Asian. He may want to become Mormon, due to the number of wives allowed, but well...

Edit:
( !! By a heavenly coincidence, I mistyped "Asin" instead of Asian - but he can't became one either, because he already is one - in google translate you have to click the English word to see alternatives, because the default translation is wrong, or you can use the plural form, which is a bit better translated, or try translating it from Latin).

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2020-03-14 at 04:16
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-14, 04:14   #1154
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

26·157 Posts

Quote:
So I guess we'll know by next weekend whether the prez -- or the "geriatric Ken doll" -- are infected.
Great amusement ensued when I told my partner about Mike "Geriatric Ken Doll" Pence.
kladner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-14, 12:42   #1155
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·5·11·23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Great amusement ensued when I told my partner about Mike "Geriatric Ken Doll" Pence.
Thanks are due my aunt and uncle living in Indiana, where, before Geriatric Ken was tapped to be VP, he was the widely-detested Governor, facing defeat in his 2016 re-election bid.