mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Msieve

Old 2014-04-25, 12:42   #1
mickfrancis

Apr 2014
Marlow, UK

3816 Posts
Default Contributions to msieve source code

I've managed to find a very small change to the source code that speeds up the factoring of an 80 digit number by about 23% and a 90 digit one by nearer 30% (I'm currently testing with a 100 digit number - should know this evening). How do I go about sharing this change?

I'm running on a Windows VM with i7 processor, using gcc and Cygwin - I can't tell whether the speed-up will apply to other architectures...
mickfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-25, 13:58   #2
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2·3·1,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickfrancis View Post
I've managed to find a very small change to the source code that speeds up the factoring of an 80 digit number by about 23% and a 90 digit one by nearer 30% (I'm currently testing with a 100 digit number - should know this evening). How do I go about sharing this change?

I'm running on a Windows VM with i7 processor, using gcc and Cygwin - I can't tell whether the speed-up will apply to other architectures...
If it is very small, post the changes here, otherwise put the patch somewhere accessible and post a link. If you don't have anywhere accessible mail me (paul@leyland.vispa.com) some of the details and I'll try to sort it out from there.

The original author reads this forum but recently posted that Real Life (tm) is taking up most of his time and he won't be able to much, if any, development work.

FWIW, many folk here are interested in msieve to factor rather larger numbers, those in the 120-170 digit range by GNFS or 180-250 by SNFS. Your optimizations are less likely to be useful to them because they tend to use the ggnfs siever in conjuction with the msieve toolkit for everything else.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-25, 15:06   #3
firejuggler

Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

9A916 Posts

If the speed improvement is that large (claiming 23-30% on a C100) that would be interesting, even if it just for giving idea to others. If thoses numbers hold, it will be a noticeable change in ECM.
firejuggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-25, 16:11   #4
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

593810 Posts

Definitely interesting (though I usually use yafu for numbers of that size).
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-25, 17:10   #5
bsquared

"Ben"
Feb 2007

1101000011012 Posts

Although it has not been under active development for quite some time, msieve's QS has undergone significant optimization. I'm kinda surprised that a small change could result in such large improvements. I'd very much like to see your updates.
bsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-25, 18:08   #6
mickfrancis

Apr 2014
Marlow, UK

23·7 Posts

Yes, it is impressively optimised. I was rather surprised by the result, and before I post the changes I'll wait for RSA-100 to finish (this took 11 hours before, so should finish in the next few hours). If there is a similar improvement with this I'll post the change, if not I'll hang my head in shame and apologise
Old 2014-04-25, 18:20   #7
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2×3×1,699 Posts

Quote:
Yes, it is impressively optimised. I was rather surprised by the result, and before I post the changes I'll wait for RSA-100 to finish (this took 11 hours before, so should finish in the next few hours). If there is a similar improvement with this I'll post the change, if not I'll hang my head in shame and apologise
Shame on you indeed Sir!

Even if a C100 is no worse than before, the improvements for smaller numbers are well worth including.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-25, 18:55   #8
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

26·113 Posts

Quote:

Please describe the nature of the change; What part of the algorithm
was involved?
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-25, 22:39   #9
jasonp
Tribal Bullet

Oct 2004

348910 Posts

I'd be happy to fold it in; post the changes here or PM me.
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-26, 10:20   #10
mickfrancis

Apr 2014
Marlow, UK

23×7 Posts
Default Underwhelmed...

(Struggling to type due to shamed head-hanging...)

It would appear that rumours of a significant speed-up have been greatly exaggerated... Factoring RSA-100, which took almost exactly 11 hours before on my (slow!) VM (at work) took 10h46 after the change - 2% improvement - disappointing.

Hard to do timings when the 'tin' is shared by other VMs, I guess, but it's the only place I have a modern Cygwin.

The change is in the function add_to_hashtable in sieve_core.c (possibly pplicable to other sieve_core_xxx.c files?). This is very much a hot-spot, and has clearly been carefully optimised, including pre-fetching to maximise cache usage.

What I did was this: Instead of allocating a new bucket_entry_t (struct) on the stack, setting its contents then copying to the entry's list, avoid this copy by setting the list's entry's fields directly. This is probably in the cache due to the PREFETCH.

The body of the function is as follows, with the mods conditionally compiled on the __MDF__ flag:

Code:
static void add_to_hashtable(bucket_t *entry,
                 uint32 sieve_offset,
                 uint32 mask,
                 uint32 prime_index,
                 uint32 logprime) {
    /* add a 'sieve update' to the hashtable bin pointed
       to by 'entry'. Hashing is based on the top few
       bits of sieve_offset, and the range of sieve values
       represented by one hash bin is given by 'mask'.

Note that after the first polynomial it's unlikely
       that any hash bin will need to grow in size. */

#if defined(__MDF__)
    uint32 i = entry->num_used++;
#else 
    uint32 i = entry->num_used;
    bucket_entry_t new_entry;
#endif

/* always prefetch; we can't rely on the processor
       automatically knowing when to do this */
    if (!(i % 8))
        PREFETCH(entry->list + i + 8);

if (i == entry->num_alloc) {
        entry->num_alloc = 2 * i;
        entry->list = (bucket_entry_t *)xrealloc(entry->list,
                        2 * i * sizeof(bucket_entry_t));
    }
#if defined(__MDF__)
    bucket_entry_t *new_entry = entry->list + i;
    new_entry->logprime       = logprime;
    new_entry->prime_index    = prime_index;
    new_entry->sieve_offset   = sieve_offset & mask;
#else
    new_entry.logprime = logprime;
    new_entry.prime_index = prime_index;
    new_entry.sieve_offset = sieve_offset & mask;
    entry->list[i] = new_entry;
    entry->num_used++;
#endif
}
Note that this includes moving the auto-increment of entry->num_used up to the assignmen to i. This may need approval from the style police, and may provide no benefit (and wasn't in the version used for my timings).

It would also be also possible to combine the sieve_offset and mask parameters into a single masked_sieve_offset (by using & at the call sites), to reduce the number of parameters, but I suspect this would make little or no difference with clever optimisers.

I would be interested to know what difference, if any, this change makes for other people.

Apologies for any time wasted, I'll adopt a test-before-post approach from now on!
Old 2014-04-26, 16:03   #11
jasonp
Tribal Bullet

Oct 2004

3×1,163 Posts

It's a pretty nice patch, and on my Core 2 it does drop the sieving time by a few seconds at 80 digits, so I committed it.

Thanks!
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote