mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > FactorDB

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-07-25, 01:01   #1
wblipp
 
wblipp's Avatar
 
"William"
May 2003
New Haven

22·32·5·13 Posts
Default

This thread is for attempts to contact and/or inform other factordb users. Be aware the other users may not read this forum, or even know of it's existence.

Last fiddled with by wblipp on 2013-08-20 at 14:01
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-29, 07:57   #2
kar_bon
 
kar_bon's Avatar
 
Mar 2006
Germany

22×23×31 Posts
Default The "Hey YOU" Thread

To the guy who's doing n^m-1 (thounsands of small composites with n ~ 6- to 15-digit numbers and m ~ 5- to 17-digit exponent number):

Example:
The C79=4545240977...71<79> is the composite part of (30488817170364239412727^5-1)/5796234755344305420995084262210186.

The quotient 5796234755344305420995084262210186 was not fully factored in FactorDB (just done it) so the 30488817170364239412727^5-1 wasn't, too.

The problem:
If the C79 factors to Px * Py the n^5-1 remains not fully factored in the FactorDB and someone (if >= 70 digits) has to do this factorisation although it could have been done if the factors were inserted to the n^5-1 and not to (n^5-1)/x!

This x sometimes contains greater factors which are not known to FactorDB to the originally n^5-1 value.

Please insert all new factors found to the n^5-1 value instead of (n^5-1)/x!


Another Example:
C79 is part of 14103553^17-1, this is a C122 with a C96!
So there's a small chance, that someone is doing the C79 while someone else tries factoring the C96 at the same time!

Last fiddled with by firejuggler on 2013-07-29 at 08:20 Reason: Moving done -F
kar_bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-29, 17:13   #3
chris2be8
 
chris2be8's Avatar
 
Sep 2009

3·647 Posts
Default

I'm running scripts on two of my older systems to factor small numbers in factordb. They download random_composites.txt and factor everything they can from it (using SNFS if possible). But they just return:
(line from random_composites.txt)=p1*p2*p3 etc.
Is that going to cause this problem? If so what should the script do? I'm factoring hundreds of numbers per day so manual intervention is impossible.

The jobs are usually quick enough that collisions with someone else doing the number at the same time are rare.

Chris
chris2be8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-29, 19:37   #4
wblipp
 
wblipp's Avatar
 
"William"
May 2003
New Haven

22·32·5·13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar_bon View Post
To the guy who's doing n^m-1
That's probably the oddperfect project - at least when n and m are both prime. "Usually" (p^q-1), (p^q-1)/(p-1) and (p^q-1)/((p-1)*a) are in synch, all showing the same final composite. Once in synch, they stay in synch with any new factor showing up in all three forms. From time to time I push factors into factordb to increase the likelyhood of synchronization. It sounds like I need to do that for the batch of numbers that we are currently checking to see if additional factors are known.
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 13:57   #5
wblipp
 
wblipp's Avatar
 
"William"
May 2003
New Haven

44448 Posts
Default

To the guy who is entering lots of Homogenous Cunninghams (a^n+b^n, a, b, n small) - are you aware that when n has an odd divisor k, (a^(n/k)+b^(n/k)) is an algebraic divisor of your number?

The small end of the unfactored composites list is currently swamped with your numbers, many of which could be reduced under the automatic 70 digit limit by informing the factordb of these algebraic factors. For example, I just cleared 651^28+127^28 by telling the factordb about 651^4+127^4. You can load thousands of these factors quickly using the Report Factors page with lines like

651^28+127^28 = 651^4+127^4
(651^33+74^33) = (651^11+74^11) (651^3+74^3)
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-28, 22:50   #6
BudgieJane
 
BudgieJane's Avatar
 
"Jane Sullivan"
Jan 2011
Beckenham, UK

22×59 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblipp View Post
To the guy who is entering lots of Homogenous Cunninghams (a^n+b^n, a, b, n small) - are you aware that when n has an odd divisor k, (a^(n/k)+b^(n/k)) is an algebraic divisor of your number?
Yes, thanks.

Quote:
The small end of the unfactored composites list is currently swamped with your numbers, many of which could be reduced under the automatic 70 digit limit by informing the factordb of these algebraic factors. For example, I just cleared 651^28+127^28 by telling the factordb about 651^4+127^4. You can load thousands of these factors quickly using the Report Factors page with lines like

651^28+127^28 = 651^4+127^4
(651^33+74^33) = (651^11+74^11) (651^3+74^3)
Sorry about that. I'm working on (a) stopping so many getting on there at any one time, and (b) clearing them up.

Are there any instructions for how to use FactorDB and how FactorDB works? I've had a good look around and can't find any.
BudgieJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-28, 22:52   #7
henryzz
Just call me Henry
 
henryzz's Avatar
 
"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

166F16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgieJane View Post
Are there any instructions for how to use FactorDB and how FactorDB works? I've had a good look around and can't find any.
Not really. We are available for questions though.
henryzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-16, 14:44   #8
cubaq
 
cubaq's Avatar
 
Mar 2016

2×29 Posts
Default

I am surely newby, and has some simple question:

- what will happen after my number receive C* from factordb.com/search.
cubaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-17, 03:13   #9
wblipp
 
wblipp's Avatar
 
"William"
May 2003
New Haven

22×32×5×13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubaq View Post
what will happen after my number receive C* from factordb.com/search.
factordb is a resource to collect known factorizations and primality proofs.

If your composite is under 70 digits, the factordb workers will factor it. This usually happens in seconds to minutes.

Above 70 digits it will sit there until somebody factors it. There are people that donate their resources to factor the smallest numbers. This usually factors numbers into the low 90 digits, and has occasionally factored everything into the high 11x level. You can see how this stands by going to the bottom of the status page and clicking on "Distribution of composite numbers."

Beyond that, your composite will sit there until someone gets interested enough to devote the resources to factor it. If you are the only person interested, that mean until you factor it.
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-10, 04:00   #10
PawnProver44
 
PawnProver44's Avatar
 
"NOT A TROLL"
Mar 2016
California

C516 Posts
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblipp View Post
factordb is a resource to collect known factorizations and primality proofs.

If your composite is under 70 digits, the factordb workers will factor it. This usually happens in seconds to minutes.

Above 70 digits it will sit there until somebody factors it. There are people that donate their resources to factor the smallest numbers. This usually factors numbers into the low 90 digits, and has occasionally factored everything into the high 11x level. You can see how this stands by going to the bottom of the status page and clicking on "Distribution of composite numbers."

Beyond that, your composite will sit there until someone gets interested enough to devote the resources to factor it. If you are the only person interested, that mean until you factor it.
It is very useful for submitting primes about 5,000 digits. Is there any way i can "Organize a list" of random long primes of requested size?
PawnProver44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-11, 00:55   #11
wblipp
 
wblipp's Avatar
 
"William"
May 2003
New Haven

234010 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawnProver44 View Post
Is there any way i can "Organize a list" of random long primes of requested size?
You can use this page to get a list of primes starting at any particular size. You will need to do the trimming to exactly that size yourself and supply your own randomization.
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official "Faits erronés dans de belles-lettres" thread ewmayer Lounge 39 2015-05-19 01:08
Official "all-Greek-to-me Fiction Literature and Cinema" Thread ewmayer Science & Technology 41 2014-04-16 11:54
Official "Lasciate ogne speranza" whinge-thread cheesehead Soap Box 56 2013-06-29 01:42
Official "Ernst is a deceiving bully and George is a meanie" thread cheesehead Soap Box 61 2013-06-11 04:30
Official "String copy Statement Considered Harmful" thread Dubslow Programming 19 2012-05-31 17:49

All times are UTC. The time now is 16:47.

Wed Nov 25 16:47:57 UTC 2020 up 76 days, 13:58, 3 users, load averages: 1.48, 1.85, 1.86

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.