mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2020-10-19, 14:56   #1299
The Carnivore

Jun 2010

21210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Eating only plants won't supply you with many things your body needs. You can't survive only on plants diet for all your life, you still need meat or supplements from time to time. Want to be vegetarian? Be my guest, but don't pollute my life with it. From this point of view, vegetarians going public with it and making such a big fuss about how much they care about the planet, are, in my eyes, the same hypocrites like jehova's witnesses who ring your door to convince you to go to their religion. You know something? Fcuk off!
I totally agree!

I'm reminded of that old joke that goes something like this: You're stuck in a room with a tiger, a lion, and a vegan. You have a gun with two bullets. What would you do?

Shoot the vegan twice, and let the lion and tiger eat him!

Last fiddled with by The Carnivore on 2020-10-19 at 14:57 Reason: Formatting
The Carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-19, 15:05   #1300
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Carnivore View Post
I'm reminded of that old joke that goes something like this: You're stuck in a room with a tiger, a lion, and a vegan. You have a gun with two bullets. What would you do?

Shoot the vegan twice, and let the lion and tiger eat him!
Nah, too polite. Instead shoot the tiger and the lion, let the vegan starve to death, and eat like a king from the fresh meat (all three meats).
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-19, 17:39   #1301
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

32·11·103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
I wouldn't be so sure of that. According to, e.g. the 2004 article about how roads affect the ecology, The Ecology of Roadkill (my emphasis),

As to eating roadkill, it is an obvious factor in the increased range of Turkey Vultures in the US.
I have eaten roadkill on a number of occasions. if it is still in good condition, why not?
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-19, 19:08   #1302
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

EE916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
I have eaten roadkill on a number of occasions. if it is still in good condition, why not?
I have no objection to eating roadkill. I was merely pointing out that "road mortality" wasn't all that eco-friendly.

There is one caveat, at least here in the US. Some states require that, if you kill e.g. a deer with your car on the highway, and want to keep it, you let the State Patrol know. They'll have you fill out a form showing that you're claiming it as salvage. That way, if some law-enforcement officer later notices you carting a dead deer around -- especially outside of hunting season -- you'll have proof that you weren't poaching.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-20, 02:45   #1303
PhilF

Feb 2005
Colorado

10458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Fixed it for you two... Additionally, pork meat will be more healthy than lion meat.
Considering the initial comment came from MooMoo2, it's a good thing you said pork instead of beef.
PhilF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-20, 05:36   #1304
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

22·7·11·29 Posts

Haha. Didn't think about it
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-20, 14:51   #1305
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

4,733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
There is one caveat, at least here in the US. Some states require that, if you kill e.g. a deer with your car on the highway, and want to keep it, you let the State Patrol know. They'll have you fill out a form showing that you're claiming it as salvage. That way, if some law-enforcement officer later notices you carting a dead deer around -- especially outside of hunting season -- you'll have proof that you weren't poaching.
Ah yes. Reminds me of my farmer father going through the proper channels, after someone else hit and left a deer nearby, and leaving the field dressed carcass hanging from a wooden corn crib to cool, doing some farm work, and returning to find someone had stolen the whitetail. The mixed blessing of living on US highways; good snow removal and access to markets, but easier more anonymous access by thieves and vandals.

Occasionally we made good money pulling speeding drivers out of the ditch after a snowstorm. (Easily over ten times the pay rate of farming.) One nearly hit me in the process. Reckless car driver was "helping" by spinning his wheels in the snow, and once pulled onto clean pavement, rapidly accelerated too close to the tractor and me clinging to the back of the tractor. (Safety was not a priority at that farm, speed and profit were.)

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-10-20 at 15:08
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-21, 13:10   #1306
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

2·5·11·71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
(Safety was not a priority at that farm, speed and profit were.)
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-21, 17:58   #1307
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

10010011111012 Posts

Father was from the era of driving at age 9 a horse team and wagon through downtown LaCrosse behind his father, and seemed to expect his 9 year old son newly arrived again on the farm to be psychic, about the hazards of 1940s vintage farm equipment lacking fenders, roll bars, ignition interlocks, safety guards, current maintenance, or any shred of horse sense, and the many other hazards. Plus would leave equipment parked in gear with the clutch engaged instead of setting the brakes. My first near-death experience was a result of that at age 9. I was lucky enough and quick thinking enough to get through that and 8 more years of it more or less intact.
It was not unusual to reach 40-45 hours worked in 3 days, beginning ~6am and ending ~10pm. Compare to https://dwd.wisconsin.gov/dwd/public...erd_9212_p.pdf
Exhaustion to the point of falling asleep while driving an open no-cab no-seatbelt tractor towing dangerous operating equipment was one of the hazards.
It was remarkable how much mechanization got purchased as I was about to escape to college, and shortly after.

As a teen, I heard on the barn radio about another farm kid whose luck, alertness, etc ran out on a highway in the Arcadia hills. He ended up under a large tractor tire that was on fire at age 15. It took multiple men to lift it off him after the fire was out. He made it into the ambulance still alive so technically was not roadkill exactly. (I think he was pronounced DOA at the hospital.)

It was common back then for farm parents to view their children, especially sons, as productive assets, and to various degrees exploit them economically. Still is somewhat prevalent.
There was a consensus in the rural community that it was none of the government's business what farm parents were doing with their children; turning a blind eye to each others' dangerous exploitation seemed the rule.

There are still exceptions built into child labor laws to permit working of farm children outside the age limits or hours limits or wage minimums above zero, for their own parents.
Those ought change.
"In most cases, agricultural child labor laws do not apply to children working on their family's farm." https://www.minimum-wage.org/wiscons...ild-labor-laws
https://www.minimum-wage.org/article...age-exemptions

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-10-21 at 18:04
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-21, 18:54   #1308
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

32·11·103 Posts
Default Borat

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...new-borat-film
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-21, 19:25   #1309
The Carnivore

Jun 2010

22·53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Giuliani "also agrees...to eat a bat with his interviewer".

Finally something he and I can agree on!
The Carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote