mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Linux

Old 2020-10-13, 20:57   #1
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

3·43·61 Posts
Default AIO CLC

We bought an all-in-one closed-loop-cooler (AIO CLC) a few days ago. It was very easy to install and it does a fantastic job.

There are many brands and models to choose from. Most of them use very buggy and/or bloated Windows software packages to program the pump and LEDs.

However, we found out that some can be controlled via the command line in Linux! So we chose the NZXT Kraken X63 since it was one that is on the supported list.

And it worked! Amazingly, you can also use the command line program in Windows as well!

Program: https://github.com/jonasmalacofilho/liquidctl

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-14, 01:44   #2
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

134038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
So we chose the NZXT Kraken X63 since it was one that is on the supported list.
I "love" how the very first bullet point (which obviously means what they consider the most important point) is this: "A 10% bigger LED ring allows for more vivid RGB. A rotatable top accommodates re-orienting the logo no matter the direction the cooler is installed."

IMO that kind of should be last on the list. Or better yet, not even on the list. Or better still, not built into the device at all.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-14, 03:42   #3
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

8,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
IMO that kind of should be last on the list. Or better yet, not even on the list. Or better still, not built into the device at all.
+1
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-14, 13:40   #4
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

3×43×61 Posts

Other models go even farther with LED screens and stuff.

We originally planned to get a Fractal Design cooler but it doesn't come in a 280 version and we couldn't figure out a way to control the pump from Linux.

We are looking at building a "custom" cooling system from parts.
Old 2020-10-14, 13:52   #5
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

43×137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Other models go even farther with LED screens and stuff.
Yeah, I'm not surprised about that.

I'd much rather companies put all the engineering/programming/building effort into making the primary function work better/faster/cheaper/reliabler/longer/whateverer, instead of useless fluff that just makes it needlessly more complicated than it should be.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-16, 14:42   #6
PhilF

Feb 2005
Colorado

22E16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Yeah, I'm not surprised about that.

I'd much rather companies put all the engineering/programming/building effort into making the primary function work better/faster/cheaper/reliabler/longer/whateverer, instead of useless fluff that just makes it needlessly more complicated than it should be.
It's all about gaming. Gamers account for 95% of all the CPU/GPU cycles used these days (and the resulting need for heat removal), so anything that appeals to them danged whippersnappers means bigger profits.

But I have no right to register that as a complaint, because right now 95% of my own CPU/GPU cycles are being used simulating flight.
PhilF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-07, 23:57   #7
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

3·43·61 Posts

We found a program for both Windows and Linux to control various RGB lights and stuff.

It works! (We use the program to turn the lights off!)

https://gitlab.com/CalcProgrammer1/OpenRGB