Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2020-04-20, 01:54   #1343
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3,797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
One has to wonder, considering the high profile Police oversight cases Johnson had been involved in, whether there will be genuine investigation of these murders. After all, there is the code of omerta silence within the mafia Thin Blue Line of Heroes.
I imagine there are a lot of important people -- lawyers, judges, you name it -- demanding answers. I don't think they will stint on this one. By the time that article was published, the Oak Park Police had already reached out to the West Suburban Major Crimes Task Force and also to the FBI.

I have my doubts about the murders being any form of "retaliation." Yes, he presided over the Police Board hearings. But that's sort of like being a judge. And he wasn't AFAIK involved in the criminal cases against the officers.

You could just as easily point to his work as a lawyer -- fighting for "social justice and corporate accountability" surely made him some powerful enemies.

But I can't rule out the more mundane possibility of burglary or home invasion at this point. That would make their deaths seem even sadder, perhaps.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-20, 01:54   #1344
masser

Jul 2003
wear a mask

13×113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obit...rbarth-9090607

It was drawn to my attention by axn, to whom I am grateful.

Richard and I worked together for several years on the second incarnation of NFSNET. We met on two occasions: first at a conference in Banff (Canada, not Scotland) where we were joined by dleclair. He and Nancy had driven up from Austin, a journey which took them several days. Our second meeting took place a few years later when he drove over to Houston to introduce some FlyBase people to an excellent TexMex restaurant. On the latter occasion he picked up a group of jet-lagged Brits from the hotel where we were staying and then got seriously lost on the Houston streets. On the third time going past our hotel, one of our companions suggested stopping the car and waiting for the restaurant to go past us.
Thanks for the story. Condolences to all here that knew him.
masser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-20, 04:18   #1345
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

26·157 Posts

Dr S, you are right. I had a very bitter reaction, especially since there was an apparent connection to a police killing which was covered up, resulting in four officers being terminated. I just now searched on the victims' names and scanned though a variety of sources, including 'network' news locals, Fox, and others on the first page. It does stand out that police said "suspicious circumstances," but are otherwise mum. While I tend to think of most murders as 'suspicious', it seems there must be something remarkable, since they mentioned whatever it is. Calling in regional cops is certainly suggestive, too.

The Laquan McDonald murder, and Johnson's connection to the four cops who got fired for covering up, raises eyebrows, if not hackles.

Nevertheless, information is very scarce right now.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-04-20 at 04:19
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-20, 06:55   #1346
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2×3×1,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
Sometimes it takes a bit of distance (and a second read) to appreciate Paul's (or as he will say, his anonymous source's) sardonic New-Orlean-jazz-funeral humour.
Very common in these parts.

Example:

Incidentally "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" was the final piece at my brother's funeral. Quite a few of the congregation joined in.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-20, 14:46   #1347
dleclair

Mar 2003

7510 Posts

Thank you for mentioning this, I will miss Richard. The conference in Banff was great and later on I also got to see him for a bit in Texas while I was there for a business trip. The time we spent on the NFSNET project was immensely rewarding and I learned much from him and xilman.

Quote:
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obit...rbarth-9090607

It was drawn to my attention by axn, to whom I am grateful.

Richard and I worked together for several years on the second incarnation of NFSNET. We met on two occasions: first at a conference in Banff (Canada, not Scotland) where we were joined by dleclair. He and Nancy had driven up from Austin, a journey which took them several days. Our second meeting took place a few years later when he drove over to Houston to introduce some FlyBase people to an excellent TexMex restaurant. On the latter occasion he picked up a group of jet-lagged Brits from the hotel where we were staying and then got seriously lost on the Houston streets. On the third time going past our hotel, one of our companions suggested stopping the car and waiting for the restaurant to go past us.
dleclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-20, 16:23   #1348
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2·3·1,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleclair View Post
The time we spent on the NFSNET project was immensely rewarding and I learned much from him and xilman.
Hi Don.

Long time no see.

I'm surprised that you learned much from me other than how to drink beer in industrial quantities
Old 2020-04-20, 16:31   #1349
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2×3×1,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleclair View Post
The conference in Banff was great ...
Another abiding memory of mine from that conference: about two days after arriving, my belt broke. It was irreparable with the limited facilities at hand. I was forced to waddle into town with one hand firmly grasping the waistband of my jeans and search for what appeared to be the only beltmonger for miles around.

Damned good leather belt, though, which lasted for about a decade afterwards.
Old 2020-04-21, 11:38   #1350
dleclair

Mar 2003

7510 Posts

Quote:
I'm surprised that you learned much from me other than how to drink beer in industrial quantities
There's definitely that, and a lot about large scale factorizations too

I don't remember the belt incident but I remember riding in Richard and Nancy's van, through the mountains, on the way to the conference center. I took a picture of Richard in the atrium of the big hotel in that area, looking down at me from several stories above. I still have it somewhere.
dleclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-07, 06:37   #1351
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2×3×1,699 Posts

Florian Schneider

I'll play (at least) Radioactivity and Autobahn later today in tribute.
Old 2020-05-09, 12:10   #1352
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3,797 Posts

Roy Horn
Quote:
LAS VEGAS (AP) β€” Roy Horn of Siegfried & Roy, the duo whose extraordinary magic tricks astonished millions until Horn was critically injured in 2003 by one of the act's famed white tigers, has died. He was 75.

Horn died of complications from the coronavirus on Friday in a Las Vegas hospital, according to a statement released by publicist Dave Kirvin.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-09, 14:52   #1353
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the TannhΓ€user Gate

3·181 Posts

Rock legend Little Richard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Richard
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote