mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2016-10-02, 16:39   #2652
Mark Rose
 
Mark Rose's Avatar
 
"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

3·971 Posts
Default

I've had hundreds of lines in worktodo.txt before. Interesting.
Mark Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-02, 19:27   #2653
Gordon
 
Gordon's Avatar
 
Nov 2008

1111101012 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl M Johnson View Post
Found my first bug for mfaktc by getting overnight TF work.
It would seem that 128 lines in worktodo file cause some kind of overflow, and mfaktc complains about invalid format in such a case (and doesn't start).
Will report further findings later.
I currently have 1723 lines in my worktodo and it's running sweet as a nut.

The new version puts out just over 500 days/day on my 970, previous version was about 470 days/day
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-02, 21:28   #2654
James Heinrich
 
James Heinrich's Avatar
 
"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

23×397 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJudger View Post
P.P.S. How high is the demand for Wagstaff and/or LessClasses?
I would normally request LessClasses, but my newest GPU is a 670 so I don't have any immediate need for it until a GTX 1080 magically falls out of the sky
James Heinrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-02, 23:35   #2655
kladner
 
kladner's Avatar
 
"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

3×17×197 Posts
Default

CUDA 8.0 made little difference on my currently-running 580. No surprise, for something that old.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 00:52   #2656
flashjh
 
flashjh's Avatar
 
"Jerry"
Nov 2011
Vancouver, WA

1,123 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Heinrich View Post
I would normally request LessClasses, but my newest GPU is a 670 so I don't have any immediate need for it until a GTX 1080 magically falls out of the sky
I just compiled the 32 and 64 bit versions of lessclass, Wagstaff, and lessclass Wagstaff.

I emailed to Oliver a few minutes ago, I'm sure he'll post them soon ;)
flashjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 00:55   #2657
flashjh
 
flashjh's Avatar
 
"Jerry"
Nov 2011
Vancouver, WA

1,123 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
CUDA 8.0 made little difference on my currently-running 580. No surprise, for something that old.
On this note, I'm sad to say that the workhorse 580s are soon obsolete based on CUDA versions -- If they're not already ;)

Current compiler warning:
Code:
nvcc warning : The 'compute_20', 'sm_20', and 'sm_21' architectures are deprecated, and may be removed in a future release (Use -Wno-deprecated-gpu-targets to suppress warning).
Won't change much either way, just sad.
flashjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 00:59   #2658
flashjh
 
flashjh's Avatar
 
"Jerry"
Nov 2011
Vancouver, WA

46316 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl M Johnson View Post
Found my first bug for mfaktc by getting overnight TF work.
It would seem that 128 lines in worktodo file cause some kind of overflow, and mfaktc complains about invalid format in such a case (and doesn't start).
Will report further findings later.
Back in my HayDay of running mfaktc I had thousands of lines in many instances running with no problems. Have you checked for any non-text characters in the file? That might cause a problem.
flashjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 02:06   #2659
Mark Rose
 
Mark Rose's Avatar
 
"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

3·971 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashjh View Post
Back in my HayDay of running mfaktc I had thousands of lines in many instances running with no problems. Have you checked for any non-text characters in the file? That might cause a problem.
I did have a problem with line endings once, IIRC.
Mark Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 02:44   #2660
Karl M Johnson
 
Karl M Johnson's Avatar
 
Mar 2010

3·137 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
I did have a problem with line endings once, IIRC.
Nailed it!
Turns out, it was not related to mfaktc, but which EOL worktodo.txt used.
I've realised this only when I've noticed a 'Macintosh' EOL being used n Notepad++ and I'm not sure how this happened.
False alarm
Karl M Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 03:09   #2661
kladner
 
kladner's Avatar
 
"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

234778 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashjh View Post
On this note, I'm sad to say that the workhorse 580s are soon obsolete based on CUDA versions -- If they're not already ;)

Current compiler warning:
Code:
nvcc warning : The 'compute_20', 'sm_20', and 'sm_21' architectures are deprecated, and may be removed in a future release (Use -Wno-deprecated-gpu-targets to suppress warning).
Won't change much either way, just sad.
One point I am uncertain about: I have always run 32 bit versions of mfaktc, because they have a very slight performance edge over the 64 bit. My experiment was with the 64 bit version of CUDA 8.0. Still, any differences were within normal fluctuations in everyday running.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 03:29   #2662
James Heinrich
 
James Heinrich's Avatar
 
"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

23×397 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl M Johnson View Post
Turns out, it was not related to mfaktc, but which EOL worktodo.txt used.
Vaguely related: I discovered while writing a script to fetch new worktodo that mfaktc always rewrites all of worktodo.txt and always uses \r\n even if the file had \n line-endings (which mfaktc can read fine).
James Heinrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mfakto: an OpenCL program for Mersenne prefactoring Bdot GPU Computing 1657 2020-10-27 01:23
The P-1 factoring CUDA program firejuggler GPU Computing 752 2020-09-08 16:15
"CUDA runtime version 0.0" when running mfaktc.exe froderik GPU Computing 4 2016-10-30 15:29
World's second-dumbest CUDA program fivemack Programming 112 2015-02-12 22:51
World's dumbest CUDA program? xilman Programming 1 2009-11-16 10:26

All times are UTC. The time now is 00:41.

Wed Nov 25 00:41:03 UTC 2020 up 75 days, 21:52, 4 users, load averages: 3.23, 2.71, 2.56

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.