mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Math

Old 2010-01-28, 14:55   #23
flouran

Dec 2008

14768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blob100 View Post
BTW: the way it is written in wikipedia it is Merssenne and not Merssen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersenne_numbers.
No, sadly you are wrong AGAIN. It is actually spelled "Mersenne". Furthermore, Wikipedia is not a good mathematical source, and I would not rely upon it too heavily.
flouran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 16:04   #24
blob100

Jan 2010

379 Posts

So what do you suggest as a good mathematical resource?

Last fiddled with by blob100 on 2010-01-28 at 16:14
blob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 16:35   #25
fivemack
(loop (#_fork))

Feb 2006
Cambridge, England

6,323 Posts

I usually recommend Davenport's _The Higher Arithmetic_, though I'm not sure if it's in print. Hardy&Wright is only for the very motivated.

The things that really got me into maths are the Martin Gardner books; Keith Devlin's collection of mathematics columns from the Guardian was an inspiration.
fivemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-29, 00:34   #26
__HRB__

Dec 2008
Boycotting the Soapbox

11428 Posts

@Tomer

One thing that Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Silverman, M.D., and winner of a AVN award (Bikers Babes do Mr. Inch), and I have in common is that we both believe in the right to make a fool of oneself. We are all descendants of monkeys, so don't let any verbal-poop-throwing-omega-male stop you from posting as many conjectures as you want to.

@Silverman

?werbeH rouy s'woH
__HRB__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-29, 07:05   #27
Damian

May 2005
Argentina

2728 Posts

Quote:
some days ago i tought about a new conjecture.
first of all im really new in the field of mathematics (im 14 years old).
my hobby is prime numbers and on my free time i work on it.
my problem is:
how to know if my conjecture didnt found before?
and how can i know if i should public it on the internet or just write a paper?

thanks tomer.
Hi Tomer,
Sometimes it's hard to know if some conjecture, proof, idea, etc, of your own is pretty original (new) or was discovered even hundred of years before you.
That said, I think the present "level" of mathematics is pretty high, in the sense that if you are just starting to learn things, it's pretty hard (though not impossible) to come with a new idea.
Every theorem that is teached at school is a special case of a general theorem that includes it as a trivial special case, wich also is included as a special case of yet another much more general theorem that... you know what I mean.
But my intention is not to frighten you (on the contrary), nothing can be better learned that by your own "research", so I would encourage you to keep working on your free time. I think you might be doing pretty good mathematics, and you are still very young.
With respect to publication on the internet, I would suggest you take the answers that best help you, and ignore the others (maybe most or even all) that doesn't help (happens often on the internet, sorry).
You will find people that knows *much* more than you, and also people that knows less than half that you do. You'll also find people willing to help you, and people hating you
Sometimes something that looks pretty interesting to you, is boring for the rest of the world, it can even happen that no-one replies, but don't take that as a bad sign, just keep your own research, reading a lot helps, you know when you are learning by your own.
Wikipedia, while not the best place for learning math things deeply, is pretty useful as a "first sight" on topics you know little about, and also for remembering formulas you don't work with long ago. Books and asking on forums are of great help for learning what is already known.
Everything here is of course my personal opinion, many will sure disagree.
I'd like to hear your conjecture pretty much.
(btw, there are infinite prime numbers if you were wondering just kidding)
Good luck.
Damian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-29, 07:26   #28
blob100

Jan 2010

379 Posts

HRB,
Thanks for answering my questions.
BTW: I didn't understand anything.
funny! :)

Last fiddled with by blob100 on 2010-01-29 at 07:44
blob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-29, 08:37   #29
Orgasmic Troll
Cranksta Rap Ayatollah

Jul 2003

641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouran View Post
No, sadly you are wrong AGAIN. It is actually spelled "Mersenne". Furthermore, Wikipedia is not a good mathematical source, and I would not rely upon it too heavily.
And everyone knows that it is impossible to do math without spelling everything correctly.
Orgasmic Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-29, 08:40   #30
flouran

Dec 2008

14768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgasmic Troll View Post
And everyone knows that it is impossible to do math without spelling everything correctly.
It is important that the OP has a good mathematical standing before attempting anything more complex. His misspelling of such a simple term (especially since the Wikipedia link explicitly spelled it correctly!) is strongly indicative of him lacking a good mathematical standing.
flouran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-29, 11:06   #31
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

26·113 Posts

Quote:
You peaple make me crazy, one says I need to write in capital letters, and a legal grammar, and learn to write merssen legal and you two tell me to relax!
So would you like to know whether your conjecture is already known?
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-29, 11:17   #32
wblipp

"William"
May 2003
New Haven

22·32·5·13 Posts

blob,

The mathematics you are learning now was probably leading edge 300 to 600 years ago. That's a lot of time for the brightest people to have been exposed to the same concepts, so the likelyhood that none of them have ever thought of your idea is small. However, I find that working out of new ideas (new to me) helps me understand a subject better and then finding out where other people have gone with the ideas gets me to interesting new (to me) ideas rapidly. So I encourage you to keep thinking about new ways to use the concepts you are learning and to ask about who has already done anything like this.

William
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-29, 15:51   #33
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

160248 Posts

Quote:
So what do you suggest as a good mathematical resource?
For an online resource, Mathworld at http://mathworld.wolfram.com/
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote