Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2009-12-30, 03:46   #12
__HRB__

Dec 2008
Boycotting the Soapbox

2×5×61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
I do feel rather sorry for initiating this thread...

Par for this course, perhaps?
You're a newcomer, so I'll give you the advice I could have used when I clicked the Are you sure you want to spend significant time with a bunch of highly intelligent imbeciles?-button:

Immediately register a second account and set up an extra profile in FF to use a proxy. And use that account to post your opinion on politics and to tell people that the world would be a better place if they and their descendants had cancer, which is pretty much the same thing as politics. If you cannot keep that account in a Heisenbanned state, this means you're a very boring person and will live for another 120 years. This sounds good at first, but unfortunately it also means that you will be suffering from senile dementia for the next 120 years, too.

You might also want to think of using a third account, for your goofy personality. Imagine the fun you can have by starting posts with "Good news, everyone!", followed by very bad news or total non-sequiturs.

Narf!

P.S. Occasionally, having a good time is a zero-sum game, which makes having fun twice as valuable. So you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?
__HRB__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 03:53   #13
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

100010101110112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by __HRB__ View Post
A Bear and a rabbit were
I don't see how that work. If it doesn't stick to the bunny, then why would he make a useful tool?
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 05:06   #14
__HRB__

Dec 2008
Boycotting the Soapbox

2·5·61 Posts
Default Ask Dr. P.U. Pew about real shit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
I don't see how that work. If it doesn't stick to the bunny, then why would he make a useful tool?
What an interesting observation! Only because the answer is unexpected doesn't make something a joke, although non-sequiturs can be very funny, too.

But first, let me thank you for keeping the subject of shit alive, after all it is my bread and butter. As long as we use the word shit to describe actual poop we're not going to get moderated. We can prove this with the following very simple experiment:
  1. Holy shit, 2^127-1 is prime!
    (The term shit should be moderated).
  2. Holy shit is what you get when the pope squeezes a turd out of his ass-hole.
    (The term shit should not be moderated and neither should ass-hole).

Now in response to your question, apart from the obvious, we can also do away with the apparent contradiction with any of the following:
  1. The bear obviously had a problem with shit sticking to his fur, so the rabbit lied in a snobbish manure (sic) to piss the bear off and the bear simply didn't believe the Rabbit.
  2. Even if the bear did believe the rabbit, he only has to rub hard enough and the shit-proofing will eventually come off, in the same way the Teflon-coating will eventually come off a frying pan.
  3. It was implied that the rabbit didn't have a problem with HIS OWN shit sticking to his fur. Unfortunately bear and rabbit shit have very different characteristics. Rabbits are herbivores and the high fiber content makes their shit come in relatively firm pellets, whereas bears are omnivores so their shit will occasionally be soft and squishy if their diet was low in fiber.

Sincerely,

P.U. Pew, M.D.
Old 2009-12-30, 06:10   #15
Orgasmic Troll
Cranksta Rap Ayatollah

Jul 2003

641 Posts

Quote:
You realize that causing irritation is the whole point of trolling, yes?
So you're a meta-troll now? You're irritating me with how badly you're attention whoring trolling. It's like the internet coughed up 10 year old phlegm.

But no, y'know what? You go right ahead and tell yourself you're being an AWESOME little troll. Man oh man, you've really gotten under my skin! Gah! I will be up SO late tonight thinking about how you really zinged me or something.
Orgasmic Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 13:44   #16
jasonp
Tribal Bullet

Oct 2004

1101101000012 Posts

HRB, if you spent half as much effort actually writing code (not just test programs) as you do baiting strangers on the internet, we'd be a lot better off.
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 15:11   #17
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

6,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
I sometimes hear our (American) English idioms scrambled or intermixed. One prime example is when I heard someone say, "That's water over the bridge!"

I answered that they had described a flood. When they questioned, "What?" I explained that they had combined pieces of two separate idioms and went on to point out the two: "Water under the bridge" and "Water over the dam."

Although both refer to something of the past and mean the same, that meaning changes if parts are intermixed. Of interesting note, the new versions can also mean the same as each other:

Let "Water over the bridge" equal "flood"

Let "Water under the dam" equal "flood" (from erosion and destruction of the dam)

How about some idioms from other languages? Can they translate?

Ist gibt eine "Wasser unter der Brücke" auf Deutsch? (Please forgive me if I messed that up.)
If you are looking for an argument, you have come to the
right place.
It's £1 for five minutes and £5 for the full half hour.

David
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 15:15   #18
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

6,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonp View Post
HRB, if you spent half as much effort actually writing code (not just test programs) as you do baiting strangers on the internet, we'd be a lot better off.
I find him a breath of fresh air, if a bit long winded and perhaps in need
of some Listerine (and for all I know some Clearosyl). I assume he
already uses Brylcreem.

David
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 15:40   #19
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

23×3×5×72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieddy View Post
If you are looking for an argument, you have come to the
right place.
It's £1 for five minutes and £5 for the full half hour.
No it isn't.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 16:25   #20
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

2·7·13·19 Posts

Unfortunately, most of the above humor was already familiar to me from over thirty years ago. I also got a lot of mileage from it during those years. But, I am unfamiliar with hiding my identity to post things I wouldn't write as myself. I also am unfamiliar with emitting such on a forum open to all comers. Face-to-face and in small groups whose members are familiar, I am comfortable, and probably even "known" for old jokes of varied flavors.

Not to say I can't learn new tricks...
EdH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 19:23   #21
__HRB__

Dec 2008
Boycotting the Soapbox

2·5·61 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonp View Post
You're not going all Machiavelli on me in the futile attempt to prevent me from overusing the s-word?

So far, almost all of the test programs have failed to produce an edge to make writing a full program worthwhile. Don't get me wrong here, because I think that your all-integer FGT-program is really amazing, but IMO it would have sufficed to write code for a single split-radix butterfly to conclude that it will not be much more than a novelty item.

FYI, I'm currently trying to implement a length (2*k-1)*2^n auto-convolution using C++ templates. The idea is to perform an FFT of length 2^n and then do length (2*k-1) cyclic convolutions directly using Karatsuba. I believe all constants can be precomputed, and if k>=8 loading the constants should require less than 3% memory bandwidth, which is a possible bottleneck. My test routines tell me, that for k<=16 Karatsuba has a good chance of being faster than doing two transforms with dyadic multiplies. I'm able to get >0.5 addpd/clock split-radix butterflies using intrinsics.

At best I think I could draw even with msft's "Version H" 22ms 4096K transform using both cores of a 2.66Ghz C2D with sufficiently fast memory, but I wouldn't be surprised if "Version M" is 4x faster, so time is probably better spent writing small test programs for GPUs, to see what makes them tick.

How much slower are operations on GPUs modulo 64- or 62-bit primes of the form (2*k-1)*2^n+1 with n>32, if one uses 32-bit integer arithmetic? IINM, one can currently do 4-6 32-bit operations in the time required for a GPU to do a double precision float operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieddy View Post
I find him a breath of fresh air[...]
Where's a good fart-joke, when you need one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
No it isn't.
Yes it is.

(In the same way toddlers never get tired of the Teletubbies, I'll never get tired of this joke.)

Last fiddled with by __HRB__ on 2009-12-30 at 19:29
Old 2009-12-30, 19:32   #22
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

588010 Posts

Quote:
Yes it is.
Sorry, your times up. If you want to keep arguing, you'll have to pay.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote