mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-12-10, 07:29   #1
Primeinator
 
Primeinator's Avatar
 
"Kyle"
Feb 2005
Somewhere near M52..

3×5×61 Posts
Default Old Computer

Hello,

I have started running Prime95 on my old laptop. It is running Windows7 Home Premium and has an Intel Core 2 T7200 2.0 GHz processor. I am currently running 2 LL tests in the 56M range; however, the per iteration times are very large... 190 to 300 ms. I was wondering if there was anything I can do to speed these times up. I do realize that the per iteration time is going to be larger on a slower processor and larger as the exponent increases in size. What I do not know is if something can be done to make it a little faster...Important to answering this question is I really only want to use this computer for Prime95. Thus, I am prepared to lose functionality if a significant speed boost can be attained. Thanks!

Kyle
Primeinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-10, 10:49   #2
ET_
Banned
 
ET_'s Avatar
 
"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

481210 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primeinator View Post
Hello,

I have started running Prime95 on my old laptop. It is running Windows7 Home Premium and has an Intel Core 2 T7200 2.0 GHz processor. I am currently running 2 LL tests in the 56M range; however, the per iteration times are very large... 190 to 300 ms. I was wondering if there was anything I can do to speed these times up. I do realize that the per iteration time is going to be larger on a slower processor and larger as the exponent increases in size. What I do not know is if something can be done to make it a little faster...Important to answering this question is I really only want to use this computer for Prime95. Thus, I am prepared to lose functionality if a significant speed boost can be attained. Thanks!

Kyle
Stop every unnecessary service and antivirus, sound card, even network card while running. Set the desktop to 16 colors to speed up screen refreshes, and make the mouse less responsive. Apart from this, I have no idea. It could be beneficial if you did double checks or P-1 work if the RAM aboard suffices...

Luigi

Last fiddled with by ET_ on 2011-12-10 at 10:49
ET_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-10, 11:23   #3
axn
 
axn's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

114628 Posts
Default

If you're running 56M exponents, and the iteration time is varying between 190-300, then that suggests that the laptop is throttling due to overheating. In fact, from the benchmarks page, your CPU should be doing 96.65 ms (or thereabouts) for a 56M test (slightly more, say 105ms or so, when running two).

So, you need to get the temp under control. Clean out the dust. Switch on the AC. Buy one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Noteboo...3515683&sr=8-1). Whatever! If you're able to reduce the temperature and get the nominal iteration time, you're mostly there.

Second thing you can do is switch over to 64-bit Prime95 (if you aren't already running it). For that you'd need a 64-bit OS. You can spend money on Windoze, or install linux 64-bit dual-boot and run mprime. Also, make sure that you're running the latest version (26.6).

I'll assume that overclocking is out of the question. If not, you can try that too.
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-10, 20:37   #4
Primeinator
 
Primeinator's Avatar
 
"Kyle"
Feb 2005
Somewhere near M52..

3×5×61 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
If you're running 56M exponents, and the iteration time is varying between 190-300, then that suggests that the laptop is throttling due to overheating. In fact, from the benchmarks page, your CPU should be doing 96.65 ms (or thereabouts) for a 56M test (slightly more, say 105ms or so, when running two).

So, you need to get the temp under control. Clean out the dust. Switch on the AC. Buy one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Noteboo...3515683&sr=8-1). Whatever! If you're able to reduce the temperature and get the nominal iteration time, you're mostly there.

Second thing you can do is switch over to 64-bit Prime95 (if you aren't already running it). For that you'd need a 64-bit OS. You can spend money on Windoze, or install linux 64-bit dual-boot and run mprime. Also, make sure that you're running the latest version (26.6).

I'll assume that overclocking is out of the question. If not, you can try that too.

Is there a specific way I should go about opening up my computer and cleaning out the dust? I don't want to damage my computer and I have never done that sort of thing.
Primeinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 06:00   #5
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
"Mike"
Aug 2002

175478 Posts
Default

We open the case, take it outside and use a leaf blower to blow it out.

It is most certainly the wrong thing to do, but the 90MPH "poof" of dust is worth it.

We do not recommend the leaf blower method but if you do try it make sure you do not aim the blower directly at any fans as they will spin too fast and possibly destroy the fan's bushing/bearing assembly.

Also note that gasoline-powered leaf blowers exhaust their engine through the air nozzle, spraying two-cycle oil and fuel droplets all over the place. (Ask us how we know!)

We use a cheap $30 electric leaf blower now.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 07:28   #6
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter
 
LaurV's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Thailand

33·347 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primeinator View Post
the per iteration times are very large... 190 to 300 ms
What do you mean 190 to 300 ms? Does it depends on what you do with the computer, or just when you stay and watch the P95's window? If you do nothing with the computer, just watching the P95 window, the times should be very stable. No matter if 190, or 300 (this highly depends of what hardware you have, like also memory, etc, not only the CPU), but it should be STABLE. If it varies so much, I think you have some "software scheduled" tasks that periodically gets on the way (like the task scheduler, antivirus, disk compression, search indexer) OR you have some "hardware scheduled" things, like heat problems, wrong ACPI settings. It is common on laptops to reduce the CPU frequency (cut the clock in two, three, or even more) when the box gets hot, it is called throttling, or when there is no user activity (like pressing keys, moving mouse) for a period of time (see your advanced control power settings). Generally, if the laptop is so old and it was never cleaned, I would put my money on heat problems.

edit: I swear I did not read axn's post :D
@xyzzy: "ask us how we know" wwaaaaahahahaahaaa! wonderful! 10 points!

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2011-12-11 at 07:31
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 19:15   #7
Primeinator
 
Primeinator's Avatar
 
"Kyle"
Feb 2005
Somewhere near M52..

3·5·61 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
We open the case, take it outside and use a leaf blower to blow it out.

It is most certainly the wrong thing to do, but the 90MPH "poof" of dust is worth it.

We do not recommend the leaf blower method but if you do try it make sure you do not aim the blower directly at any fans as they will spin too fast and possibly destroy the fan's bushing/bearing assembly.

Also note that gasoline-powered leaf blowers exhaust their engine through the air nozzle, spraying two-cycle oil and fuel droplets all over the place. (Ask us how we know!)

We use a cheap $30 electric leaf blower now.

That was a very entertaining read. I needed that while taking a finals study break!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
What do you mean 190 to 300 ms? Does it depends on what you do with the computer, or just when you stay and watch the P95's window? If you do nothing with the computer, just watching the P95 window, the times should be very stable. No matter if 190, or 300 (this highly depends of what hardware you have, like also memory, etc, not only the CPU), but it should be STABLE. If it varies so much, I think you have some "software scheduled" tasks that periodically gets on the way (like the task scheduler, antivirus, disk compression, search indexer) OR you have some "hardware scheduled" things, like heat problems, wrong ACPI settings. It is common on laptops to reduce the CPU frequency (cut the clock in two, three, or even more) when the box gets hot, it is called throttling, or when there is no user activity (like pressing keys, moving mouse) for a period of time (see your advanced control power settings). Generally, if the laptop is so old and it was never cleaned, I would put my money on heat problems.

edit: I swear I did not read axn's post :D
@xyzzy: "ask us how we know" wwaaaaahahahaahaaa! wonderful! 10 points!
While doing nothing. I think it is a heat problem as well. Times are usually 190 to 220 ms during the day when the lid is open and up to 300ms at night when the lid is closed. I will look up some ways to clean the fan and all that good stuff. Hopefully that will help.
Primeinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 19:51   #8
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

299416 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primeinator View Post
While doing nothing. I think it is a heat problem as well. Times are usually 190 to 220 ms during the day when the lid is open and up to 300ms at night when the lid is closed. I will look up some ways to clean the fan and all that good stuff. Hopefully that will help.
Leave the lid open 24/7?
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 21:29   #9
Primeinator
 
Primeinator's Avatar
 
"Kyle"
Feb 2005
Somewhere near M52..

11100100112 Posts
Default

Unfortunately this is not an option due to my current living arrangements. The only place I can have my computer is in my room and I'd rather not have the lid open during the night. Even dimming the screen puts off too much light.
Primeinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 23:27   #10
Chuck
 
Chuck's Avatar
 
May 2011
Orange Park, FL

2·443 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primeinator View Post
Unfortunately this is not an option due to my current living arrangements. The only place I can have my computer is in my room and I'd rather not have the lid open during the night. Even dimming the screen puts off too much light.
Can you use the screen saver option "blank screen"?
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 23:31   #11
Primeinator
 
Primeinator's Avatar
 
"Kyle"
Feb 2005
Somewhere near M52..

3·5·61 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Can you use the screen saver option "blank screen"?
I am amazed I did not think of that... Wow... To make myself feel better I am going to blame it on the stress of finals week...
Primeinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I Need Help to Add a New Computer gamer30 Information & Answers 3 2012-08-04 01:18
New computer ???s c10ck3r Hardware 12 2011-04-30 23:53
Not my computer RichardB Information & Answers 2 2010-09-04 03:21
New Computer Housemouse Hardware 16 2008-06-09 21:04
help ~ what's my computer doing! merlinh Software 2 2004-05-09 21:50

All times are UTC. The time now is 16:57.

Fri Apr 16 16:57:48 UTC 2021 up 8 days, 11:38, 0 users, load averages: 3.09, 2.87, 2.63

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.