mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2020-11-17, 16:39   #4104
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2·5·619 Posts

Here is something that is curious. I posted my 2013 MacBook Pro on craigslist and someone not in my area willing to buy at $50 over what I asked. I haven't had that happen before, but since a number of people have shown interest, I accepted. They sent me a cashier's check, which I prefer to a personal check for this type of transaction. I just received the check and ran into a problem. The check is for far more than the I asked and far more than what the laptop is worth. I have not cashed the check nor do I intend to. It seems to me that this person might be trying to launder money or worse yet get my banking information if I try to refund the over payment.
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-17, 16:49   #4105
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

174128 Posts

It is very easy to write bad cashier's checks and money orders.

Edit: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cashiers+check+scam
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-17, 17:27   #4106
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

25×131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
Here is something that is curious. I posted my 2013 MacBook Pro on craigslist and someone not in my area willing to buy at $50 over what I asked.
As soon as I read this, I immediately thought, "Walk away." I don't do online selling, but even I've heard of this sort of thing.

A helpful link to how scams using overpayment offers actually work, has already been posted.

Since you've got the check, I'd suggest explaining your suspicions to the cops. They might be able to use the check as evidence and build a criminal case.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-17, 17:55   #4107
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

619010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
It is very easy to write bad cashier's checks and money orders.

Edit: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cashiers+check+scam
I submitted a complaint to the FTC. Hope they nail him (if he is guilty if a crime).
Old 2020-11-17, 18:31   #4108
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

619010 Posts

I received a mystery package today. It was a bottle of beer from Craftshack, which I had never heard of before. I had assumed that this was from a co-working paying a debt, but I was wrong. I have no idea who sent it. I've sent an e-mail to Craftshack hoping that they will enlighten me. At least this doesn't appear to be a scam and I fully intend to enjoy the beer later.

[Edit]I found the person who sent it. That mystery is solved.

Last fiddled with by rogue on 2020-11-17 at 18:40
Old 2020-11-17, 21:23   #4109
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

106016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I submitted a complaint to the FTC. Hope they nail him (if he is guilty if a crime).
You might also go to your bank, bring the check, and tell them you suspect it's bogus, or part of a scam. They might be able to evaluate the check, and point you in the right direction if it looks like the "buyer" is up to no good.

If the check is good, it might be (as you suspect) a scheme to get your account info. Perhaps the bank and the cops could devise a sting operation to nail the perps.

If the check is bogus, since the offer to buy came online, that would probably earn the "buyer" a charge of wire fraud.
Old 2020-11-18, 11:17   #4110
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

217118 Posts

Don't listen to these guys, hehe, just do absolutely nothing. Don't go to the police or bank, don't send out any goods. If contacted later by the sender, tell him that you understand, everybody makes mistakes, and ask him politely to wait till the money are physically deposited in your account and everything is cleared.

You guys don't know how to deal with these people...
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-18, 22:47   #4111
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

22×32×167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Don't listen to these guys, hehe, just do absolutely nothing. Don't go to the police or bank, don't send out any goods. If contacted later by the sender, tell him that you understand, everybody makes mistakes, and ask him politely to wait till the money are physically deposited in your account and everything is cleared.
Sure, but the US is "special" when dealing with banking.

The funds show up in the account very quickly, BUT they still haven't been cleared. So now you think you have the funds, but actually you don't have them yet, and the bank can remove it later if the check is bogus.

Plus some other problems with giving out the account number can actually allow others to withdraw from it.

Banking is the US is weird, and not very friendly IMO.

Last fiddled with by retina on 2020-11-18 at 22:49
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-18, 23:18   #4112
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

22×31×59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
The funds show up in the account very quickly, BUT they still haven't been cleared. So now you think you have the funds, but actually you don't have them yet.
This lets the bank charge you a hefty fee for depositing a bad check and then several more hefty fees for insufficient funds on the the checks you write.

From the banks point of view, what's the problem?
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-19, 07:58   #4113
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

217118 Posts

Do you mean if we open an account with $1 in it and somebody sends us a million bogus money, we can take the million in cash and go to bora-bora, before the bank clears the whole story with the sender?
And if we don't know about it, and don't touch the million in the bank, the bank will ask us to pay ten grands for "storage" when they find out the benjamins are fake?

Strange world...
(preparing right now to send you all some millions bogus money, so you will pay tax to the bank...)

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2020-11-19 at 08:02
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-19, 13:28   #4114
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

419210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Do you mean if we open an account with $1 in it and somebody sends us a million bogus money, we can take the million in cash and go to bora-bora, before the bank clears the whole story with the sender?
<snip>
No. When you make a deposit, the receipt has a disclaimer that the funds will not be available for a while. With a large deposit -- say over $10,000,00 -- additional rules kick in. A portion of the funds may take longer to become available.

A practice called "floating a check" is -- or at least used to be -- quite common. You could write a check on an account with insufficient funds, provided the account was going to get a big enough deposit to cover the check before it cleared. Someone "living paycheck-to-paycheck" might do this at the end of the month, when their account was nearly tapped out, just before they got their next paycheck. It depended on the (then) fact that it took days for a check to go through the mill.

When I was on jury duty, one of the other jurors worked at a bank. They were a teller -- a peon. They told the story of a woman living on a fixed income whose monthly (pension or Social Security) check didn't get automatically deposited as it should have. As a result, her account had insufficient funds to cover her subsequent checks.

The checks didn't bounce, because her account had "overdraft protection." But that meant she got hit with a bunch of "overdraft protection fees." Naturally, she asked the bank to waive the fees, since they had been incurred because the bank had failed to record the deposit of funds due her in a timely manner. The "suits" refused to do the right thing. But the peons got together and made those fees go away.

A previous time I had been summoned (but wound up not serving) the panel got a lunch break. I went out to buy something but, checking my wallet, found the only cash I had was my "emergency C-note." So I looked for somewhere to break it. There were plenty of banks around, so I went in to one and walked up to a teller.

ME: Could you please you break this bill for me?

TELLER: Do you have an account with us?

ME: No.

TELLER: Sorry, I can't help you.

So, I walked into another bank -- it was a bank for businesses, not a personal bank -- and, of course, it was lunch hour, so the place was almost empty. I walked up to the teller.

ME: Could you please you break this bill for me?

TELLER: Of course. (takes hundred, give me 5 twenties)

ME: You know what happened when I tried this in that bank? (I tell him.)

TELLER: That's ridiculous!

Apparently, nowadays most if not all banks will refuse to break bills for people who don't have accounts with them.