mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Math

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-11-10, 13:20   #1
mattmill30
 
Aug 2015

4610 Posts
Default Compounding prime-numbers to create a unique identity of personas

I realise this is computer science related, and may be more appropriate in a cryptographic forum, but I'm hoping to establish a mathematical foundational knowledge of the subject before I then consider it's application.
I imagine the application would relate to something similar to: https://superuser.com/questions/8022...eople-into-one

My basic understanding of private/public key encryption is that two prime numbers are generated, one which enables encoding of data which the other can decode.

I'm wondering whether it is mathematically possible to create a keyring of multiple public/private keys, which can be derived from a single master key.

The rationale is that the different public/private key-pairs could then be associated to different personas for peer-to-peer social media or other uses. e.g. pre-teen me, teenage me, young-adult me, parent me, grandparent me, professional me, dating me, legal me.

These persona keys would be created from a master me key-pair, which is turn could be recoverable using something similar to a 24-word cryptographic recovery phrase.

The 24 words could then, for example, be held in a Will, or individually entrused to others.
It would be even better if the derived keys each in turn had their own 6 or 12 word recovery phrases, derived from the 24 words.
mattmill30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-10, 13:27   #2
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

1051210 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmill30 View Post
I realise this is computer science related, and may be more appropriate in a cryptographic forum, but I'm hoping to establish a mathematical foundational knowledge of the subject before I then consider it's application.
I imagine the application would relate to something similar to: https://superuser.com/questions/8022...eople-into-one

My basic understanding of private/public key encryption is that two prime numbers are generated, one which enables encoding of data which the other can decode.

I'm wondering whether it is mathematically possible to create a keyring of multiple public/private keys, which can be derived from a single master key.

The rationale is that the different public/private key-pairs could then be associated to different personas for peer-to-peer social media or other uses. e.g. pre-teen me, teenage me, young-adult me, parent me, grandparent me, professional me, dating me, legal me.

These persona keys would be created from a master me key-pair, which is turn could be recoverable using something similar to a 24-word cryptographic recovery phrase.

The 24 words could then, for example, be held in a Will, or individually entrused to others.
It would be even better if the derived keys each in turn had their own 6 or 12 word recovery phrases, derived from the 24 words.
Your basic understanding is profoundly wrong.

Hint: PK crypto need not use primes at all. Any group in which the discrete logarithm problem is hard will serve. I strongly recommend that you read and understand https://arxiv.org/pdf/0711.3941.pdf

Go away, learn more about PK crypto, and then rephrase your questions if you still have them.

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2020-11-10 at 13:28 Reason: Minor tweaks.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-10, 13:37   #3
mattmill30
 
Aug 2015

4610 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Your basic understanding is profoundly wrong.

Hint: PK crypto need not use primes at all. Any group in which the discrete logarithm problem is hard will serve. I strongly recommend that you read and understand https://arxiv.org/pdf/0711.3941.pdf

Go away, learn more about PK crypto, and then rephrase your questions if you still have them.
I will read the document you've attached.

Though could you confirm whether this document answers my question? And if so, which section addresses automatic generation/recovery of keyrings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmill30 View Post
I'm wondering whether it is mathematically possible to create a keyring of multiple public/private keys, which can be derived from a single master key.
Thanks
mattmill30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-10, 13:58   #4
retina
Undefined
 
retina's Avatar
 
"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

32·23·29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmill30 View Post
I'm wondering whether it is mathematically possible to create a keyring of multiple public/private keys, which can be derived from a single master key.
Mathematically, yes, of course, you can do whatever you want. But it would be weak and silly.

Practically, no. Keys should not be derived from some sort of master code, better that they are each generated randomly. There should be no master key, that would make them insecure.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-10, 14:28   #5
mattmill30
 
Aug 2015

2·23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Mathematically, yes, of course, you can do whatever you want. But it would be weak and silly.

Practically, no. Keys should not be derived from some sort of master code, better that they are each generated randomly. There should be no master key, that would make them insecure.
Since keys are generated by an algorithm, which can be brute forced with enough calculations, why would a master key be insecure?

The master key is what I'm describing as a compound key, so if there's 10 persona key pairs, the master key could be massive, and the recovery phrase could be hundreds of words.

Could you elaborate on your response?
mattmill30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-10, 16:33   #6
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

24×32×73 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Mathematically, yes, of course, you can do whatever you want. But it would be weak and silly.

Practically, no. Keys should not be derived from some sort of master code, better that they are each generated randomly. There should be no master key, that would make them insecure.
To be perhaps a little bit more precise: it would make them at most as secure as the master key.

Security is not a binary quality and it encompasses many more aspects than computational effort.

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2020-11-10 at 16:34
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-10, 16:46   #7
chris2be8
 
chris2be8's Avatar
 
Sep 2009

2·3·331 Posts
Default

A better way to do it is to generate several public/private key pairs, each independently generated from random noise. Then encrypt the private keys with a symmetric key generated from a secure passphrase.

That way the private keys all have the same (maximum) strength. And stealing one of them gives no help cracking the rest. As long as the master keyphrase is securely locked away and unguessable you are as secure as possible.

In practice you would need to keep a copy of the pair you are using now unencrypted (or encrypted with a different passphrase). That would be more vulnerable but there is no way round that.

Your first step should be to look for existing key management products that will do what you want. It's not easy to build a DIY system without making any mistakes. And read up on cryptography so you know what you are doing.

Chris
chris2be8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unique Groupings found in the first 49 mersenne numbers ONeil ONeil 27 2018-12-03 01:52
RDS's unique pedagogic ways R.D. Silverman Soap Box 137 2012-01-07 07:52
Factors for unique exponents? Dubslow Information & Answers 15 2011-10-17 02:53
A unique bug probably never before seen fivemack Msieve 1 2009-08-19 19:59
Unique Logic circuit grid. mfgoode Math 6 2006-10-03 17:10

All times are UTC. The time now is 03:58.

Sun Jan 24 03:58:13 UTC 2021 up 52 days, 9 mins, 0 users, load averages: 1.68, 2.28, 2.33

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.