retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2×17×193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
If Chess games were shorter maybe the rule could be that you can never leave the table. Then you wouldn't have to worry about those pocket-computers-masquerading-phones.

And if you have some medical condition that precludes such stretches without cubicle relief then wear a catheter.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-14, 14:36   #68
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

100111000111112 Posts

Quote:
I have seen it on the news site "ages ago" and was waiting "with the claw on my throat" agadmator's reaction on his youtube channel ever since. Thanks for reminding me, I will post a comment there too.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-14, 19:21   #69
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

3·7·13·43 Posts

Quote:
I wonder where on his person he was hiding the contraband ... I'm guessing it was one of those slimline waterproof models. Talk about pulling moves out of one's butt!

I predict this will inspire a movie: Searching For Body Fissure.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-15, 13:48   #70
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

22×1,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
The computer portion of the GM takes about 20-25W, almost all of it to drive the sodium pumps.

Yes, an amazingly large fraction of the human energy budget is used in the brain.
Almost 20% of the basal metabolic rate (when resting, in little use). Second only to the liver. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-15, 13:55   #71
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

150248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpertron View Post
That grandmaster needs 2000 kcal/day = 23.15 cal/sec = 96.9 J/s = 96.9 W

So the power consumption is a little less than 100 W.
That's a good way to get at an order of magnitude. But that is the daily average rate, including hours of low usage during sleep or other inactivity. Actively-engaged rate is higher than the daily average. Medical imaging shows localized variation in brain metabolic activity depending on the mental activity type. A person doing logic, visualization, etc. to compete probably engages more brain volume and has higher energy dissipation, like doing sprints with your brain. I wonder what the instantaneous peak power is of a good competitor. It's surely significantly higher than the daily average.
Old 2019-07-15, 14:10   #72
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

22·1,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...mo/coobod.html

For air conditioning purposes 100W per person is a good rule of thumb. Often it may be needed to pre-chill a space (get the air, walls, and furnishings a few degrees colder than the normally desired temp.) to handle the sudden heat load when a crowd shows up. I have done this before for weddings. A sudden onset of 125 bodies at 100W each (carrying in June air and slightly high body temps and motion) into a space will heat it noticeably. Not good to have the bride sweat.
I've had 25 guests in my home for a party in Wisconsin midwinter. It was necessary to open the dining room patio door to manage the overheating.
The family dairy barn in Wisconsin was unheated, except by the occupants, and was generally comfortable in winter, in shirtsleeves, if ventilation was managed properly. That's with nothing between the interior and exterior but a solid stone wall and single-pane glass windows; soil below concrete floor; hay above ceiling, but the pipes never froze, even when the ground outside would open up a deep crack from contraction. In summer it could be miserably hot in the barn during milking even with a large ~1/2hp window fan running, and most of the animals were put outside for most of the day.
Old 2022-08-01, 23:20   #73
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

2,477 Posts

Levy Rozman (GothamChess) has posted a video on how he identifies cheaters in online chess: https://youtube.com/watch?v=l5MD6hn5PgI
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote