mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2011-06-22, 23:11   #1
Unregistered

176078 Posts
Default prime95 on UNRAID/startup script

Has anyone setup prime95 on an Unraid box (slackware)? If so, do you have a script setup to restart on reboot?
I'd like to utilize some of those unused CPU cycles, but not sure how to keep the program running when closing SSH connection or rebooting the machine.
Thanks!
Old 2011-06-23, 00:40   #2
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

5·359 Posts

not specifically, but I think it's a unix distro, so getting the system to run mprime would be the same as getting anything else to run at startup...I think it goes in an rc.d type script. The command itself is trivial: /path-to-p95/mprime
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-23, 03:35   #3
Unregistered

22×52×83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christenson View Post
not specifically, but I think it's a unix distro, so getting the system to run mprime would be the same as getting anything else to run at startup...I think it goes in an rc.d type script. The command itself is trivial: /path-to-p95/mprime
Thanks for the reply. Since basic install is trivial I went ahead with it. The way the system is setup there is a 'go' file that runs bash commands on startup, so I put an entry '/path-to-p95/mprime -m' . I included the -m flag as it was suggested on the download/setup page (http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/). Unfortunately I didn't see a description of available command line arguments or what they do in any of the documentation, so a pointer to what this flag does would be appreciated.
Also, when starting the program through an ssh terminal it is necessary to choose option 4 to continue testing, and then 0 to start both workers/threads before testing continues. As I am trying to run this in a headless situation is it possible to pass these arguments via command line so that it *really* starts testing for primes?
Old 2011-06-23, 11:47   #4
markr

"Mark"
Feb 2003
Sydney

10001111012 Posts

You only need to use the -m option to interact with mprime, to set your id and preferences. Christenson's suggestion for the startup script is good. If you go in via ssh and want to start mprime and have it continue after you're done, '/path-to-p95/mprime &' works. Assuming the Slackware you have with is like other linuxes, that is.
markr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 22:18   #5
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

722110 Posts

So starting it without any options is equivalent to selecting 4, Continue? And I saw this in the Readme: "This program can be safely interrupted by using ^C or kill or shutdown to write intermediate results to disk. This program also saves intermediate results to disk every 30 minutes in case there is a power failure."

So I can shutdown my computer without directly closing the program and I will not lose progress, correct?
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 01:04   #6
KingKurly

Sep 2010
Annapolis, MD, USA

191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
So starting it without any options is equivalent to selecting 4, Continue?
Yes, I believe so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
So I can shutdown my computer without directly closing the program and I will not lose progress, correct?
Yes, I believe so... as long as you shut it down properly, and not just pull the plug or something. A proper shutdown should send signals to each running process that they need to terminate gracefully, then wait a few seconds before killing any processes that didn't obey.
KingKurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 01:16   #7
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3×29×83 Posts

Cool, thanks! Now, to make the startup script...
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 03:54   #8
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

70316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKurly View Post
Yes, I believe so.
Yes, I believe so... as long as you shut it down properly, and not just pull the plug or something. A proper shutdown should send signals to each running process that they need to terminate gracefully, then wait a few seconds before killing any processes that didn't obey.
My copy of P95 has also survived several crashes, losses of power, with minimal loss of progress...the key is that P95 keeps three separate backup files, and flushes them to disk when it is done. Not that I recommend that, it's just that, in running my computer for months at a time, these things are nearly inevitable.
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 04:04   #9
KingKurly

Sep 2010
Annapolis, MD, USA

19110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christenson View Post
My copy of P95 has also survived several crashes, losses of power, with minimal loss of progress...the key is that P95 keeps three separate backup files, and flushes them to disk when it is done. Not that I recommend that, it's just that, in running my computer for months at a time, these things are nearly inevitable.
Yes, true, in the default settings, even if you just pull the power plug out of the machine abruptly, you will not lose more than 30 minutes of work (unless the hard drive dies, for some reason). If you shut down correctly, you will not lose any work at all.
KingKurly is offline   Reply With Quote