mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Languages -- Ancient & Modern, Human & Machine

Old 2021-12-06, 17:48   #1
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

141D16 Posts
Default Anyone know Quechua?

I have a CD, Music of the Andes (Volume One) by Inkari. The last song, Tata Quillacas, intrigued me. You can listen to it here.

I had absolutely no idea what it was about. I also wasn't sure what language it was in, but I think it's Quechua.

I found the following on Google Books, from Latin American Peasants edited by Tom Brass:

Quote:
Santuario de Quillacas is a municipality of principally Aymara-speaking subsistence farmers and pastoralists located on the Southern Bolivian altiplano at an altitude of 3,800 metres (12,500 feet) in the Southern Bolivian Department of Oruro. As is evident from the name itself, the community of Santuario de Quillacas is known to Bolivians not only as a small municipality but also as a major religious sanctuary. Each year on 14 September, people from all over the Bolivian Highlands and from as far away as northen Argentina and Chile descend on the municipal capital of Quillacas, on pilgrimage to celebrate the feast of Señor de la Exaltación. The local image of Christ Crucified, known as Tata Quillacas, is held to be a miraculous suma miriku, or a doctor with exceptional curative powers.
So at least I have some idea what the song is about.

I found a transcription of the first verse (which is repeated) here. I made a correction, changing "Ñanitay" to "Ñañitay."
Chayanta chaya sumpuni
Tata Quillacas mampuni
Ñañitay pahuancuspa
Tata Quillacas mampuni
Can any of you linguists translate the lyrics into English?

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2021-12-06 at 22:51 Reason: xinfig topsy
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-06, 18:04   #2
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

1103710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
I have a CD, Music of the Andes (Volume One) by Inkari. The last song, Tata Quillacas, intrigued me. You can listen to it here.

I had absolutely no idea what it was about. I also wasn't sure what language it was in, but I think it's Quechua.

I found the following on Google Books, from Latin American Peasants edited by Tom Brass:

I found a transcription of the first verse (which is repeated) here. I made a correction, changing "Ñanitay" to "Ñañitay."
Chayanta chaya sumpuni
Tata Quillacas mampuni
Ñañitay pahuancuspa
Tata Quillacas mampuni
It is possible that I may be able to help.

One of my friends is trying to learn a Mesoamerican language. Unfortunately I don't know whether that is Quecha or Mayan or something else.

I will contact her.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-06, 18:07   #3
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

3×13×283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
It is possible that I may be able to help.

One of my friends is trying to learn a Mesoamerican language. Unfortunately I don't know whether that is Quecha or Mayan or something else.

I will contact her.
Mail sent.
Old 2021-12-07, 00:42   #4
rudy235

Jun 2015
Vallejo, CA/.

22×257 Posts

I would try these people. https://amlq.org.pe/

If you can write a decent Spanish I suggest you write them in Spanish.
rudy235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-08, 10:51   #5
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

2B1D16 Posts

Quote:

Chayanta chaya sumpuni
Tata Quillacas mampuni
Ñañitay pahuancuspa
Tata Quillacas mampuni
My friend replied:

yes, this is Quechua. I learned it in University when I studied American history, for awhile. But I forgot almost all of it. Still have a textbook.

She did not give a translation, sorry, but I will try asking again.
Old 2021-12-08, 13:37   #6
rudy235

Jun 2015
Vallejo, CA/.

22·257 Posts

“Tata” in Quechua is father, high priest, or male with a family.
rudy235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-08, 14:11   #7
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

19·271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy235 View Post
“Tata” in Quechua is father, high priest, or male with a family.
That makes perfect sense. It corresponds to the Spanish El Señor de Quillacas. The quote I posted earlier said the Tata Quillacas was the Image of Christ Crucified in the church at Quillacas.

I also found a Spanish-language opinion piece about the Quechua expression Ñañitay, but my Spanish is quite limited, so it's been slow going.

I have not as yet been able to transcribe the other verses of the song (each sung twice), but they all contain the line
Ñañitay pahuancuspa
There is also one line that is spoken once rather than sung. I've gotten nowhere with that one.
Old 2021-12-08, 14:54   #8
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

3·13·283 Posts

Quote:
I also found a Spanish-language opinion piece about the Quechua expression Ñañitay, but my Spanish is quite limited, so it's been slow going.
Does Google Translate help?
Old 2021-12-08, 15:05   #9
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

10100000111012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Does Google Translate help?
Yes.