Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > LaurV

Old 2019-05-14, 14:01   #12
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

23×3×5×29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
LaurV wants us to figure out what he means by "computational proofs" and exclude those; apparently this result is considered such.
Kummer showed that FLT was true for "regular" primes p. Regularity can be established computationally. There is also a computational method of proving FLT for a given irregular prime p related to the Kummer-Vandiver conjecture. It is described (briefly) just before the Acknowledgements in the paper here. (I know, this is a post-FLT proof paper, but had the merit of being easily available. It basically extends the computations of the previously-referenced paper.)
Quote:
Historically, this test was devised by Vandiver, building on Kummer’s results on cyclotomic fields, in connection with Fermat’s last theorem: Vandiver proved that Fermat’s last theorem is true for p if there is a prime q less than p2 − p such that the above criterion is true for all irregular pairs (p, t) for the given prime p.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-15, 04:01   #13
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2×3×31×47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukerichards View Post
English pedantic correction: Sir Andrew.
Thanks. (I didn't know! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Kummer showed that FLT was true for "regular" primes p. Regularity can be established computationally.
We are clear up to here. Not only, but also for irregular pairs, which is a much MUCH stronger condition. But after that, you lost me. I think I have to put my nose into those papers...

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2019-05-15 at 04:01
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote