Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > LaurV

Old 2018-05-25, 02:52   #1
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2·3·31·47 Posts
Default SSD vs HDD

We had a lot of arguments in the office today... hehe... younger people here are out to get me... Just kidding. But we had some friendly arguments indeed. New school versus old school.

I totally understand why somebody would buy an SSD for a laptop or portable device - mainly motivated by (1) the lower consumption, which translated to lower heat produced, and longer battery life, and (2) the "i don't care if you drop me down, but be warned that your screen may crack" policy.

But I can't understand what would justify the price difference when buying an SSD for a desktop or workstation or other non-portable toy, of course, except the case when the respective toy is part of an industrial line exposed to vibrations, magnetism, whatever.

I mean for a "normal" desktop computer, why would somebody buy an SSD?

Arguments? (we will try to combat them one by one!)

[edit: grrrr, what's happening with the forum formatting? it inserts few empty lines before all paragraphs, which looks quite ugly! is it something i have done?]

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2018-05-25 at 02:56
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 03:18   #2
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2×19×151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
I totally understand why somebody would buy an SSD for a laptop or portable device - mainly motivated by (1) the lower consumption, which translated to lower heat produced, and longer battery life, and (2) the "i don't care if you drop me down, but be warned that your screen may crack" policy.
IMO that is not even an argument for SSDs. My laptop has an acceleration sensor and parks the HDD heads on any fall event.

I think the only argument for SSDs is the higher data throughput and random access times. In every other aspect the HDDs win. Price, capacity, security, longevity, reliability, data integrity, recoverability, dependability, availability.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 04:25   #3
axn

Jun 2003

111318 Posts

Quote:
I mean for a "normal" desktop computer, why would somebody buy an SSD?
Faster boot times?
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 04:48   #4
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

23×3×79 Posts

A while back the IT at my work upgraded my PC. One improvement is it has SSD.
I regularly print 3-D AutoCAD drawings into PDF.

The process that took more than 20 minutes per page on the old system, now takes about 3 minutes.

Some ancient programs like AutoCAD rely heavily on page files (temp files) even if you have Terra-bytes of RAM.

But if you ask me it's time to redesign the whole PC architecture from scratch bypassing PC compatibility which is probably a major bottleneck in computer functionality. One major short coming is the HD interface speed limitation, which needs a complete from scratch redesign.

I had a related thread on this here:

http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=23068

Last fiddled with by a1call on 2018-05-25 at 04:51
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 05:13   #5
S485122

Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

2×787 Posts

Quote:
[edit: grrrr, what's happening with the forum formatting? it inserts few empty lines before all paragraphs, which looks quite ugly! is it something i have done?]
Could it be related to the your settings ? "Basic editor" versus "Standard editor" or even "Enhanced interface" ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
IMO that is not even an argument for SSDs. My laptop has an acceleration sensor and parks the HDD heads on any fall event.
Be careful : the acceleration sensor has a latency before tripping. I was told (or read in some technical paper) that it will not work in case of a short fall (short being less than half a metre or so.) In other words I would take the "any" in "any fall event" with scepticism. I can tell you that those people at work who always walk around with their HDD laptops without putting them in sleep mode or shutting them down have a high rate of hdd failure (and get an SSD as replacement :-)

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 07:06   #6
fivemack
(loop (#_fork))

Feb 2006
Cambridge, England

23·3·5·53 Posts

Quote:
But I can't understand what would justify the price difference when buying an SSD for a desktop or workstation or other non-portable toy, of course, except the case when the respective toy is part of an industrial line exposed to vibrations, magnetism, whatever.
An NVMe SSD is literally thirty times faster at reading and writing than a SATA hard disc; this translates to much faster boot and much faster application loads.

If you have any kind of network-attached storage, you don't need very much disc space in the computers, and so the limited size of SSDs is immaterial.
fivemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 07:53   #7
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

10110011010102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
Be careful : the acceleration sensor has a latency before tripping. I was told (or read in some technical paper) that it will not work in case of a short fall (short being less than half a metre or so.) In other words I would take the "any" in "any fall event" with scepticism.
I see many events recorded every day. Even a jolt to the table it rests on will trigger it to park the heads. It is very sensitive and very skittish IME.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 08:12   #8
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

5A116 Posts

I think both types have problems with secure deleting.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 10:10   #9
VictordeHolland

"Victor de Hollander"
Aug 2011
the Netherlands

23·3·72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I think both types have problems with secure deleting.
There is only one type of secure deleting and it involves a stroke with a big fat hammer.
VictordeHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 10:31   #10
axn

Jun 2003

111318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictordeHolland View Post
There is only one type of secure deleting and it involves a stroke with a big fat hammer.
I dont think that is particularly secure.
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 12:54   #11
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

B7C16 Posts

It is very common today in desktop computers as well to have a smaller SSD for operating system and important applications and then a large HDD for your main storage.

Even I have had this setup for several years now and I'm also pretty old (school).

What I do feel too old school for is those fancy NAS systems, which also seem very popular for home entertainment systems, but I never felt the need for it.
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote