Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > LaurV

Old 2012-07-23, 14:47   #12
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

100010001001102 Posts

@kladner: you are welcome

@chalsall: the right one! thanks (as I started it, I may post different cooling-related stuff in the future).

@xyzzy: may I request mod rights in this thread? Needs some remarks from where the posts were moved, otherwise the discussion about teams and ratings is on the air.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2012-07-23 at 14:52
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 15:02   #13
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

770410 Posts

Quote:
@xyzzy: may I request mod rights in this thread forum?
Sure!

BTW: http://www.mersenneforum.org/showpos...&postcount=189
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 16:23   #14
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2·3·31·47 Posts

Haha, I saw it when you posted it, no connection with the guy. And because a lot of people asked me about my avatar on PM (at least 5 people asked), I would reply here for all:

1. No, it was not assigned automatically, I chose it by myself.
2. No, I am not the famous American (or British??) stocks trader, and I never went to that forum. Didn't know him until I got the PM.
3. However, I am Forex trader, and I frequented a Romanian forum for Forex traders, where I have the same avatar, since more then 6 years.
4. No, I am not mersenneforum user Complex33, I had no idea about him, and no idea about his avatar till I got the PM. I saw no posts of Complex33 here since ever, and I believe he is not frequenting the forum anymore.
5. I don't know who has the copyright for the photo, if any, and I don't give a damn.
6. The source of the avatar is a very old electronic card which was very famous and in large circulation 10-12 years ago, it was a powerpoint (.ppt or .pps, can't remember, never used powerpoint, in spite of the fact ms office installs it every time, I only use Excel from all the suite). There was a first page like "imagine your boss comes in your office and says: there will be no salary increase this year, moreover the new year bonus will be cut, bla bla etc etc - boss going crazy like this for 10 or 12 rows of text. What your reaction will be?" and on the second page ("opening the card") was the photo with this chimp. I love it and used as avatar ever since, he looks a little bit like me, and in many situations, THAT would be my first reaction.

[edit PS: I edited post 8]

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2012-07-23 at 16:33
Old 2013-03-11, 15:35   #15
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2×3×31×47 Posts

As Redarm woke me up a bit with his Titan ekwb block, this is how the photo in post #3 looks now, there are two of those big radiators, with 6 pieces of 120mm silent, pwm fans, two pumps (one not shown there), a nice sus rack (a bit costly, but easy to mount or reconfigure, strong, very resistant to any weather and time wear, very handy, nice looking) mounted on the other side of the wall, in a shadowy place, and a lot of dust on it (at least cleaning is much easier than dismounting a cpu fan, but I am always a lazy guy as long as the temperature of the cores do not raise).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7622.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	9513

This whole spaceship cools a mobo, a cpu and three 580s now. Still cold here in the morning (like 16C-20C, in the midday it reaches over 30C) but April is on the way, when I will need to decrease the output, in spite of all this heavy-looking stuff. April is the hottest month here. Locals say that if the farang (foreigner) resists here in April, the rest of the year he will feel cold (which is indeed my case! an eternal source of fun for my family, they always laugh at me when I say I am cold, sometime in the morning when there are 16C outside).

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2013-03-11 at 16:03
Old 2013-06-10, 00:36   #16
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

3×5×23×29 Posts

Do you write your handle on your hand so you are not forgetting it?
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 12:16   #17
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2×3×31×47 Posts

Hehe, no, but people did not believe my photos are actually mine, when I was talking about my rigs the past, and accused me of fabricating the stories. Not that I would mind...
Old 2013-06-11, 14:16   #18
kracker
ἀβουλία

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

41658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Hehe, no, but people did not believe my photos are actually mine, when I was talking about my rigs the past, and accused me of fabricating the stories. Not that I would mind...
Photoshop to the rescue! Just kidding.
kracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 20:13   #19
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×4,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Locals say that if the farang (foreigner) resists here in April, the rest of the year he will feel cold (which is indeed my case! an eternal source of fun for my family, they always laugh at me when I say I am cold, sometime in the morning when there are 16C outside).
To relate... During the night it can drop to as low as 26C at night here. I sleep under a sheet, a comforter, and have another blanket available when it gets really cold. (And, for the record, while all my machines have Air Conditioning, I don't.)

Kinda funny for a guy who spent the first 17 years of his life experiencing -40C degrees a third or so of the year....
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 20:44   #20
kracker
ἀβουλία

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

1000011101012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
To relate... During the night it can drop to as low as 26C at night here. I sleep under a sheet, a comforter, and have another blanket available when it gets really cold. (And, for the record, while all my machines have Air Conditioning, I don't.)

Kinda funny for a guy who spent the first 17 years of his life experiencing -40C degrees a third or so of the year....
It got 33C the day before yesterday... that's really rare here. It is 15C here at the moment.
kracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 21:00   #21
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker View Post
It is 15C here at the moment.
Burrr....

I'm currently having to spend a lot of time in a server room which is kept at 20C. I'm wearing a thick shirt, and have a "fleece" and a "cap" in the room.

I'm regretting not bringing down my "long underwear" from Canada. I didn't imagine I would ever need them here in Bimshire....
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-13, 05:20   #22
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2·3·31·47 Posts

As said in this post, my main machine had a clogged water pipe, so i need to stop it for cleaning (2xgtx580 plus a titan). It will be back crunching tonight or tomorrow morning.

Long version: I saw temperatures rising, in spite that the weather didn't get hotter last week (still 30-35°C during the day, and raining almost every day a little bit or more). I checked the flow of the water (all covers for the blocks are transparent acrylic) and found lots of green stuff (a copper salt most probable, looks exactly like copper sulphate, but where the sulfur should come from?) everywhere between the fins of the blocks so I added a glass of toilet cleaner to the water (no joke!). In about 10 minutes, the flow of water reestablished, and the green stuff is gone. Then I had to run the pipes with clean water from the tap, all over the night, to get the acid of the toilet cleaner out of the installation.

I have to stop it and replace the tap water with the stuff I normally use (which is mainly distilled water and some antibacterial).

Funny thing, after (during?) all this cooking, some of the fins of the CPU block (massive copper) are coated in black. There is no water obstruction, and the cooling is very good, but the fins look like silver-coated, or platinum coated. This is only on the fins, no other place where the water touches the copper blocks. They look like platinum jewels, something that would make any lady die with envy

The only metal that the water touch and it is not copper in all the installation (I am aware about mixing aluminum, copper, etc, metals and electrolysis) are some nickel fittings on the big rack outside the house, so I assume that the coating is nickel. But still can't "scientifically" explain what happened, and if the process was due to the shits inside the toilet cleaner (this stuff is very acid, I assume hydrochloric acid is the main component, but this is only assumption, the bottle is written in Thai - and instantly dissolves the calcium stones due to stagnant water in the bathroom/sink/toilet/etc, as well as almost all salts I treated them with) or due to some chlorine in the (tap) water which ran through the hoses all the night.

Also, the mystery still standing about the fact that only the fins of the CPU cooler are affected, not all, not other parts of the CPU block, not at all on the graphic cards' blocks (this makes me believe it is not only electrolytic related, but also to the temperature, somehow). One explanation may be related to the fact that the water from outside (passing the nickel fittings) goes into the CPU block first, then into the graphic cards, so maybe the "nickel ions" are already depleted there. The "black patches" seem to follow some pattern on the fins, symmetrical to the input nozzle of the water.

Maybe some (real) chemist can shed some light.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2014-09-13 at 05:31 Reason: link, s/hosed/hoses/