Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > LaurV

Old 2018-08-25, 04:50   #1
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

100010001001102 Posts
Default Endorsement Thread...

Now, you know us, and you know that there are more chances that we would criticize before we praise, hehe, our RDS side is stronger than (feel in the forum member here, I was thinking to Brian or Nick for a while, but I am undecided yet, and I have few other candidates too) side.

But we would really like to "endorse", or at least "recommend" this series about complex numbers. Brian (that is another Brian, not the one on our forum , I assume from his age), or how he calls himself, BriTheMathGuy, really makes a great job on that series, and he has a very nice style to present the stuff, clear speaking, etc, and he made our jaw drop few times along that series - once in the very beginning, when we saw him writing upside down on the glass, you expect him to turn the back to you to write on the whiteboard, but when he does not, you brain is really playing tricks on you! You realize that he is writing on the glass, but then immediately you think "wow" when you diode blinks in your brain telling you that, in fact, for you to see it normal, he has to write right to left.. Then you jaw drop for few seconds, until you again realize that he in fact writes normal, but just flipped the video, a lot of tools can do this now.

But is still odd to see him doing that, haha...

Also, you can see that the videos are "worked", he edits them to cut out parts, and skips (fast fwd) the uninteresting parts where he erase the board, etc., if something bothers me on youtube teaching videos, that is when I must watch the so called "teachers" wiping the board or playing with neighbor's cat for half of the video.

Back to the course, the introduction is a bit boring, but you have to understand that the course is not done for mathematicians, it is done for high school students, or technicians who want to listen and learn, not guys like us who want to listen just to be able to spot mistakes and throw them in your face

So, bear with him for a while, until he moves to more interesting things. I must recognize that I stayed the first minutes because I was intrigued by him writing right-to-left on my monitor, it looks like he was writing on the inside face of my LCD, haha... but bear with him, do not skip parts. Anyhow, very few people listen with the intent to understand, most people listen with the intent to reply... (who is the famous guy who said that?). He immediately moves to more interesting things, and we also learned few things we didn't know before! (seriously!)

A lot of people talk here about multiplication, and FFT and understanding what it does, etc, but to really understand that, you must start by understanding polynomials and complex numbers first.

And BTW, about correcting mistakes, Brian is very open and prompt too, we signaled a mistake in one of his videos (not related to the Complex Numbers Theory series) and he promptly took it down in less than a week (our comment about 3 weeks ago, and his reply, are still visible in the comments section of the episode 3 of the complex number series).

Meantime, we are still watching his last episodes today (we were quite busy at job during the week).

Have fun!

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2018-08-25 at 05:53 Reason: GRRRR!! the CR/LF issue is still killing me.. Mike?
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-25, 05:28   #2
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2·19·151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
... writing upside down on the glass ... he is writing right to left..
In the spirit of "spot[ting] mistakes and throw them in your face": I think you mean back-to-front writing, or mirror writing.

Hehe, normally I don't care about these trivial things, but you started it ...

And, of course, if I made any mistake in this posting feel free to correct me also. I like to learn.

Last fiddled with by retina on 2018-08-25 at 06:15 Reason: OMG, I made a mistake!
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-25, 05:45   #3
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2·3·31·47 Posts

Haha, retina, why did we expect somehow that you be the first to comment, and say something similar?

Technically, he writes right-to-left (not back to front ) and we edited the post to fix it in one place, but let it "upside down" in another place, it is called "poetic style", hehe (it was, there, not here, a tentative of humor). (we also fixed a couple of "it" into "he", our native language has no distinction, and we mess them in English sometimes).

we also don't care about these things, and contrary to what comes out of our mouth, we like the fact that we are getting your attention from time to time, with comments as you did, this is the salt and pepper of being on this forum, with all these good people here... and this is how we all learn

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2018-08-25 at 05:51 Reason: spacing...
Old 2018-08-25, 06:08   #4
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2·19·151 Posts

Well one of my minions already noticed one mistake in the fifth video @ 1:22

He states that "the modulus of the sum has to be less than the length of the sum of the two individual vectors."

Should be "the modulus of the sum has to be less than or equal to the length of the sum of the two individual vectors."
Old 2018-08-25, 10:10   #5
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

222616 Posts

Nitpicker!

( we didn't spot that, but of course you are right, OTOH, he was speaking "intuitively", he didn't write down anything wrong )

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2018-08-25 at 10:11 Reason: that space!
Old 2019-10-12, 14:08   #6
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2·3·31·47 Posts

Very nice new video from 3B1B, thematic for us (collective us).

Old 2019-10-12, 16:15   #7
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2·19·151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Very nice new video from 3B1B, thematic for us (collective us).

Very nice graphical presentation. They must have spent a lot of time on that.
Old 2019-10-13, 05:00   #8
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2×3×31×47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Very nice graphical presentation. They must have spent a lot of time on that.
Indeed, 3B1B is one of the best presenters of math on youtube, and their videos are always easy to understand and follow, because he/she/they put a lot of efforts on making the presentations. I follow them for quite a long time, and I also provided Romanian translations for few of the the "Linear Algebra Series" episodes (which is not easy, you need a person who knows well English and Romanian, and be a math graduate, to avoid torturing all the math terms as I have seen in almost all translations on the web, movies included, and most of all, to have the will and the time to make the translation). For some reason (maybe he and his team do(es) not revisit old videos) my translations didn't make it into the caption lists, which are still missing Romanian, but 3B1B videos are so good he/she/they deserve forgivenes for everything else they do or don't do
And with or without proper Romanian translation, the Linear Algebra series is really worth a look (caution: is catchy and addictive ). Do not let the pompous math titles to scary you, the videos are really easy to understand for everybody.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2019-10-13 at 05:09