mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > LaurV

Old 2018-05-25, 13:33   #12
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

23×32×107 Posts

We have less than 1GB in personal files. The OS takes a few GB. We don't need a huge HDD, so a cheap SSD works great and is very fast. Even with a 20GB game installed we use much less than 40GB overall. All of our personal files are synchronized with Dropbox as well.

This was/is kinda cool, though:https://inhabitat.com/earthquake-det...a-seismometer/
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 16:27   #13
danaj

"Dana Jacobsen"
Feb 2011
Bangkok, TH

5·181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
But I can't understand what would justify the price difference when buying an SSD for a desktop or workstation or other non-portable toy, of course, except the case when the respective toy is part of an industrial line exposed to vibrations, magnetism, whatever.

I mean for a "normal" desktop computer, why would somebody buy an SSD?
My son has his computer in his room. He had a 750GB spinny drive that ran out of space (he has a *lot* of games and replays them). Since he runs Windows, it is constantly plucking away at the drive. 24 hours a day: "click buzz, click click, whirr,whirr". It's not *that* loud, and gives you an audio indication the computer is alive. But it is obnoxious to me.

He got a 2GB SSD (half his money, half Christmas present). Quiet. Fast. Big. Nice for his Steam gaming. Not cheap though.

We could have done the smallish-SSD and big (4-12TB) spinny drive idea, but I didn't want to fight with Steam. Easier to just get the bigger SSD. Plus arguably faster for some games.

My daughters have used 128GB SSD hand-me-downs. My oldest was in tears earlier this week because she bought a new game and it wouldn't fit on her drive. Never underestimate the motivating power of a young girl sobbing. I grabbed a hand-me-down 512GB SSD I had planned on putting in my "new" build (quotes because I got everything for Christmas 2016 and still haven't even opened the box the case is in). Macrium Reflect clone drive, expand volume, happy daughters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictordeHolland View Post
There is only one type of secure deleting and it involves a stroke with a big fat hammer.
I tried a drill once. They use some *@#$&$ hard metal. Didn't work nearly as well as I hoped. A good drill press would be more like it.

Last fiddled with by danaj on 2018-05-25 at 16:27
danaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 18:27   #14
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

37·233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaj View Post
I tried a drill once. They use some *@#$&$ hard metal. Didn't work nearly as well as I hoped. A good drill press would be more like it.
A crucible works best.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 18:33   #15
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

B7C16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
The OS takes a few GB.
I'm sure that must be Linux then. "c:\Windows" folder on my Windows 7 is 41 GB and on Windows 10: 32 GB, and on top of that comes what is installed automatically in "C:\Program Files" and "c:\users" and all the temporary files accumulating when using Windows.

Basically these days 128 GB SSD for Windows drive is very very small, and you can have very little else installed on that drive.
My OS drive is 512 GB SSD (498*10^9 bytes, not old school GB), and I have lots of games installed on another hard disk anyway.
ATH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 19:30   #16
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2×11×269 Posts

I prefer SSDs for the following reasons:
  1. quieter
  2. smaller form factor
  3. no extra heat
  4. speed
  5. reliability

Although SSDs haven't been around as long as HDDs, I've never had an SSD fail, but I have had many HDD fail.

I can understand that if someone has multiple TB of images, movies, files, etc, that there is definite value to use HDD, but I don't need that kind of storage space.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 19:37   #17
M344587487

"Composite as Heck"
Oct 2017

631 Posts

The only good thing about a HDD is capacity and I don't need it. Look at these two options, a 120GB M.2 SSD for Β£32.39 and a 500GB HDD for Β£31.79 (the budget choices, I have the former in a build). The M.2 is not the best performance by any stretch, but it doesn't require a sata cable or sata power, takes up virtually no space as it runs parallel to the motherboard and it performs much better than the HDD. Even without the much better form factor, I can justify Β£0.50 for a vastly superior boot drive.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/500g...rpm-32mb-cache
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/120g...545mb-s-retail
M344587487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 19:42   #18
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2·23·223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I prefer SSDs for the following reasons:
  1. quieter
  2. smaller form factor
  3. no extra heat
  4. speed
  5. reliability

Although SSDs haven't been around as long as HDDs, I've never had an SSD fail, but I have had many HDD fail.

I can understand that if someone has multiple TB of images, movies, files, etc, that there is definite value to use HDD, but I don't need that kind of storage space.
My house everything-server has a SSD to hold the OS and regular spinning disks for everything else. One of its roles is to hold the backups for the rest of the machines on the home network, which necessitates large but not necessarily fast storage.

When a single FITS image takes 12MB and a night's data can easily run to 200 images, a terabyte doesn't last that long when subsequently processed output is taken into account. I'd like a petabyte of storage but until that becomes economically feasible I need to pay attention to house-keeping duties.

My email archive, going back 30 years or so, is well in excess of 2GB...
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-26, 00:47   #19
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

3·5·227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
I'd like a petabyte of storage but until that becomes economically feasible I need to pay attention to house-keeping duties.
One can set up a R-pi (3B+) with 4x 4 TB disks quite cheaply -- less than Β£400 -- as a NAS with OMV (Open Media Vault). Other NAS software is available.

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2018-05-26 at 00:50
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-26, 06:42   #20
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2×23×223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
One can set up a R-pi (3B+) with 4x 4 TB disks quite cheaply -- less than Β£400 -- as a NAS with OMV (Open Media Vault). Other NAS software is available.
Indeed. However a petabyte requires at least 256 such disks, more if they are to be RAIDed for resilience.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-27, 16:04   #21
bhelmes

Mar 2016

22·67 Posts

I have one room which i share with two computers which run 24h the day for Gimps. I choose two small ssds for the linux operation systems and i enjoy the silence in the night.

By the way, the shutdown of the computers is significant faster.

Last fiddled with by bhelmes on 2018-05-27 at 16:04
bhelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-28, 07:17   #22
knoc

May 2018

110 Posts

Apart from the speed, data security is the main concern, and so SSD comes....
knoc is offline   Reply With Quote