mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2016-04-13, 15:39   #1
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

2×467 Posts
Default Limit on TF assignments?

I just went into mersenne.org to replenish my store of manual TF assignments, and ran into an odd problem.

Because I have a couple of moderately capable GPUs, I request assignments in large batches -- up to 1000 at a time. The batches are done in a week or two, and then I go back in to get new batches; while I'm there I look around to see who's moving up or down in the rankings. It's an organic, built-in way to stay in touch with the GIMPS project.

Today, though, PrimeNet refused to provide more than 50 assignments at a time.

The layout of the assignments page seems to have changed along with the apparent introduction of this limitation.

There's a notice that says,

Quote:
For best results, select no more than a combined 50 assignments at once.
The wording would seem to imply that the 50 figure is a request, but it appears to be actually a hard limit.

As they say, is this limit a "bug" or a "feature"?

Rodrigo
Rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-13, 17:22   #2
airsquirrels

"David"
Jul 2015
Ohio

20516 Posts

If you use GPU72.com you should be able to request those large batches and will get TF work that is more relevant to the LL wave front than what mersenne.org hands out.
airsquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-13, 18:20   #3
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

37×89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
I just went into mersenne.org to replenish my store of manual TF assignments, and ran into an odd problem.

Because I have a couple of moderately capable GPUs, I request assignments in large batches -- up to 1000 at a time. The batches are done in a week or two, and then I go back in to get new batches; while I'm there I look around to see who's moving up or down in the rankings. It's an organic, built-in way to stay in touch with the GIMPS project.

Today, though, PrimeNet refused to provide more than 50 assignments at a time.
Yeah, there's a pretty bad inefficiency in how manual requests are fetched, which results in the page basically locking up for a really long time if too many exponents are requested.

In the past this caused all kinds of fun because someone would request a thousand or so and then when it looked like the page had died (it wasn't, it was just taking a REALLY long time), they would try again... and again... and again. Ultimately the user would wind up with several thousand assignments but never knew about it because they just closed the page after giving up. It also made the Primenet server struggle for long periods of time in the process...

All in all, it was doing bad things.

For large TF work, as AirSquirrels suggested, use GPU72 to coordinate work... they have a bunch of stuff pre-checked out.

In the meantime, I added the limit to the manual page a while back and finally made that change go live recently. Ultimately I'd like to see the assignment flow, internally, get streamlined so large #'s of assignments can be made without the hassle, but until then...

Sorry for the inconvenience.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, you *can* say you want work for 12 cores and still pick 50 assignments per core. That's a max of 600. It'll tell you that it takes ~ 3 minutes to generate that many, so just sit tight if you do that. You were probably used to it taking a really long time if you requested as much as 1000 at a time previously.

Last fiddled with by Madpoo on 2016-04-13 at 18:23
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-13, 19:12   #4
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

740310 Posts

Or try http://mersenne.org/manual_gpu_assignment

It gets the exponents to TF in one SQL query, but still registers them one at a time. I'm not sure how much that lessens the load on the server, but it should help a little.
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-13, 21:15   #5
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

16468 Posts

Thanks @airsquirrels, @Madpoo, and @PrimeNet for the background info and the good advice.

I had indeed noticed that there was a delay in displaying the new assignments, although I figured that it was due to the sheer number of exponents requested. Even so, it never did take more than a few seconds for the list to show up.

Will play around with the various options you've presented.

Rodrigo
Old 2016-04-13, 22:16   #6
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

292910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Or try http://mersenne.org/manual_gpu_assignment

It gets the exponents to TF in one SQL query, but still registers them one at a time. I'm not sure how much that lessens the load on the server, but it should help a little.
I've gotten a thousand assignments out of there before and it's always been reasonably quick.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-14, 02:12   #7
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

329310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
I've gotten a thousand assignments out of there before and it's always been reasonably quick.
Hmm... weird. I may need to revisit it. There was a specific instance where we encountered the issue where some user really was requesting it over and over, perhaps thinking the page wasn't working. It bogged down the server and made things unavailable for quite a while.

In my own testing I saw an average of 1/3 second per exponent, on average... not huge, but if doing 1000 at a time it sure adds up fast.

Maybe something changed... that'd be nice.
Old 2016-04-14, 03:23   #8
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

29×101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
Hmm... weird. I may need to revisit it. There was a specific instance where we encountered the issue where some user really was requesting it over and over, perhaps thinking the page wasn't working. It bogged down the server and made things unavailable for quite a while.

In my own testing I saw an average of 1/3 second per exponent, on average... not huge, but if doing 1000 at a time it sure adds up fast.

Yeah, I just now grabbed 1000 assignments from the manual_gpu_assignment page and it took less than 5 seconds.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-14, 04:31   #9
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

11101001102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post

This afternoon I played around with this a little and, curiously, was able to get more than 1000 assignments "the old-fashioned way" via Internet Explorer 8, whereas, less than a minute before, Firefox 43 and Pale Moon 26 both gave me the stop sign as described above. It took only a few seconds for the list of assignments to display.

Rodrigo
Old 2016-04-14, 11:20   #10
bayanne

"Tony Gott"
Aug 2002
Yell, Shetland, UK

3·107 Posts

Unable to get any manual assignments at the moment, is the server down?
bayanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-15, 04:51   #11
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

37×89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
Yeah, I just now grabbed 1000 assignments from the manual_gpu_assignment page and it took less than 5 seconds.
That page gets assignments different... much faster. That's how GPU72 grabs them.