mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Miscellaneous Math

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-08-09, 04:06   #23
retina
Undefined
 
retina's Avatar
 
"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

7·827 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
The original post does not indicate a number system explicitly.
Would that be natural numbers, all integers, all rationals?
Let's go with integers.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-08, 20:15   #24
ONeil
 
ONeil's Avatar
 
Dec 2017

11010 Posts
Thumbs up Retina is correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Every odd number is half of an even number.

Some even numbers are not double an odd number.

Therefore there are more even numbers than odd numbers.
I cannot disprove this statement with code from a range of numbers up to 5.
According to retina's rules from the above quote, his statement is correct when the range is set to an odd number!

Code:
evens = [x for x in range(5) if x % 2 == 0]
print(evens)
for number in evens:
    evens.append(number / 2)
    print(evens)
    break
odds = [x for x in range(5) if x % 2 != 0]
print(odds)
for number in odds:
    odds.append(number * 2)
    print(odds)
    break

Last fiddled with by ONeil on 2020-09-08 at 20:16
ONeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-09, 00:55   #25
baih
 
baih's Avatar
 
Jun 2019

1000102 Posts
w00t

Originally Posted by retina View Post
Every odd number is half of an even number.

Some even numbers are not double an odd number.

Therefore there are more even numbers than odd numbers.

True because

Even+even= odd
Odd+odd = odd
Only
Even +odd = even
baih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-09, 01:08   #26
tuckerkao
 
Jan 2020

11110002 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Every odd number is half of an even number.

Some even numbers are not double an odd number.

Therefore there are more even numbers than odd numbers.
I can totally understand this theory from the counting of base 5, 7 and 9. Any odd based counting will result in more even numbers.
tuckerkao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-09, 02:52   #27
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter
 
LaurV's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Thailand

8,837 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih View Post
Even+even= odd
Odd+odd = odd
Only
Even +odd = even

Haha, for some reason I can't stop laughing. Paraphrasing a famous person, "I know I am stupid, but when I look around, I get wings".

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2020-09-09 at 02:55
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-15, 08:53   #28
retina
Undefined
 
retina's Avatar
 
"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

7×827 Posts
Default

An odd number multiplied by an odd number produces an odd number.

An even number multiplied by an odd number produces an even number.

An even number multiplied by an even number produces an even number.

So there are more possible even number results.

Therefore there are more even numbers than odd numbers.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-15, 09:32   #29
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter
 
LaurV's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Thailand

8,837 Posts
Default

Grrr... You don't need to explain the joke again.
He used "plus" instead of "multiplication". Which makes not only one, but ALL his "equations" wrong. As wrong they are, they "prove" the contrary to your affirmation. But if they should have been right, witn "addition", they still prove your point. Lord's ways are complicate... That's why I couldn't stop laughing.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2020-10-15 at 09:41
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-15, 14:34   #30
kriesel
 
kriesel's Avatar
 
"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

19×241 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerkao View Post
I can totally understand this theory from the counting of base 5, 7 and 9. Any odd based counting will result in more even numbers.
Nope. Number base does not matter at all. 9 = 14 base 5 =12 base 7 = 10 base 9 =11 octal = 1001 binary is odd. They are merely representations of a count or value.

ooooooooo groups into pairs with one left over, a definition of odd.
oo oo oo oo o

Odd bases will however result in somewhat more rightmost even digits than odd rightmost digits, in randomly or uniformly distributed values.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-10-15 at 14:47
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Numbers sum of two cubes and product of two numbers of the form 6^j+7^k enzocreti enzocreti 2 2020-02-16 03:24
Devaraj numbers which act like Carmichael numbers devarajkandadai Number Theory Discussion Group 1 2018-07-30 03:44
Carmichael numbers and Devaraj numbers devarajkandadai Number Theory Discussion Group 0 2017-07-09 05:07
6 digit numbers and the mersenne numbers henryzz Math 2 2008-04-29 02:05
LLT numbers, linkd with Mersenne and Fermat numbers T.Rex Math 4 2005-05-07 08:25

All times are UTC. The time now is 03:25.

Thu Oct 22 03:25:59 UTC 2020 up 42 days, 36 mins, 0 users, load averages: 1.66, 1.82, 1.85

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.