mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-09-08, 16:16   #661
def
 
Sep 2014

216 Posts
Default

For a few days now I've been getting:
ERROR 2250: Server Unavailable
Tried searching for postings that might be relevant to this but not found anything. And I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or post in this one. I'm still runing version 24.14 of the software (2 instances on a dual core machne). If the solution to this is to upgrade, do the instructions to upgrade to a versions that can deal with multi-core still exist.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-08, 18:08   #662
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar
 
Madpoo's Avatar
 
Jul 2014

1100110011012 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
For a few days now I've been getting:
ERROR 2250: Server Unavailable
Tried searching for postings that might be relevant to this but not found anything. And I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or post in this one. I'm still runing version 24.14 of the software (2 instances on a dual core machne). If the solution to this is to upgrade, do the instructions to upgrade to a versions that can deal with multi-core still exist.
For a V4 migration, click here and follow the version 24 special instructions: http://www.mersenne.org/download/

I'm not sure why a v4 client would have errors... James or George might be able to shed some light.

There's a special handler on the website that takes traffic from old v4 clients and emulates what the old server side code used to do. Whenever possible, I'd recommend updating the client anyway. You'll benefit from any updates in the code itself whether it was fixing something or improving performance.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-08, 18:24   #663
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar
 
Madpoo's Avatar
 
Jul 2014

29×113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
For a V4 migration, click here and follow the version 24 special instructions: http://www.mersenne.org/download/

I'm not sure why a v4 client would have errors... James or George might be able to shed some light.

There's a special handler on the website that takes traffic from old v4 clients and emulates what the old server side code used to do. Whenever possible, I'd recommend updating the client anyway. You'll benefit from any updates in the code itself whether it was fixing something or improving performance.
FYI, it looks like other v4 clients are still connecting okay so it might be something else, possibly related to the change in IP address that took place last week.

Try to ping www.mersenne.org from the affected machine and make sure it comes up with the correct IP address of 107.155.126.203. Also make sure the old clients don't have any proxies configured that could affect how they communicate with the server. With a proxy, your machine might get the right IP address just fine, but the proxy could be hanging on to an old one.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-08, 20:45   #664
def
 
Sep 2014

2 Posts
Default

Tried ping'ing and it worked fine with the correct IP address. But the client still won't connect.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-08, 21:28   #665
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar
 
Madpoo's Avatar
 
Jul 2014

327710 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Tried ping'ing and it worked fine with the correct IP address. But the client still won't connect.
Is there anything holding you back from upgrading to the latest client, other than the time it takes for the steps involved?

I *think* the instructions are clear about how to do it. Create a new v5 account and use the v4 migration link to port your old v4 credits to the new login.

That should do it on the server side of things. Save your results.txt and your prime.spl file if it exists, since you haven't been able to communicate with the server lately. In fact, backup the whole old directory somewhere, just in case. For both of your Prime95 instances.

Download the new client and unzip into a new directory. You'll just want to merge the 2 different worktodo.ini files into a single file. And copy your in-progress files to the new directory.

Start up the new instance and you'll enter your new v5 user/password, set a machine name, etc.

If anyone has done one of these upgrades lately, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of that and we'll make sure we get the right steps listed.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-09, 08:54   #666
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter
 
LaurV's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Thailand

211728 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Tried ping'ing and it worked fine with the correct IP address. But the client still won't connect.
Check if you have any proxy settings in p95? (just an idea, forgive me if I may be in the weeds).
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-09, 13:46   #667
kladner
 
kladner's Avatar
 
"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

100110111111112 Posts
Default

Just for fun, I ran the ping, first with the address as given, then with 'mersenne.org' as the target. For some reason, it balked at the full address, though I copied and pasted it directly from the functional link.

Code:
C:\Windows\system32>ping http://www.mersenne.org/
Ping request could not find host http://www.mersenne.org/. Please check the name
 and try again.

C:\Windows\system32>ping mersenne.org

Pinging mersenne.org [107.155.126.203] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 107.155.126.203: bytes=32 time=49ms TTL=118
Reply from 107.155.126.203: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=118
Reply from 107.155.126.203: bytes=32 time=63ms TTL=118
Reply from 107.155.126.203: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=118

Ping statistics for 107.155.126.203:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 48ms, Maximum = 63ms, Average = 52ms
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-09, 14:03   #668
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×4,643 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Just for fun, I ran the ping, first with the address as given, then with 'mersenne.org' as the target. For some reason, it balked at the full address, though I copied and pasted it directly from the functional link.
A URL (or URI) is not (in and of itself) a domain (although it includes one) and thus can't be converted by the DNS system into an IP (which is what the ping targets).

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2014-09-09 at 14:03 Reason: Fixed broken quote.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-09, 18:52   #669
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar
 
Madpoo's Avatar
 
Jul 2014

29·113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Check if you have any proxy settings in p95? (just an idea, forgive me if I may be in the weeds).
That was my guess too.

If "def" wants to, PM me your IP address and I'll look in the server logs to make sure it's trying to connect at all and I can hopefully see what the problem is, assuming it's connecting at all.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-09, 19:01   #670
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar
 
Madpoo's Avatar
 
Jul 2014

29×113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
A URL (or URI) is not (in and of itself) a domain (although it includes one) and thus can't be converted by the DNS system into an IP (which is what the ping targets).
Yeah, what you said.

Pinging works on the FQDN (fully qualified domain name), not a URI with the http, ftp, whatever.

I was a little hesitant at first to even allow ICMP through to the new server when I was setting up the firewall, but in the end I did because it is a pretty good troubleshooting tool to make sure you can "see" the server at all.

ICMP isn't as bad as it used to be when there were all kinds of ways you could attack it like the ping of death, etc.

Anyway, besides pinging, you can also do a plain "nslookup www.mersenne.org" to check that it's looking up the right address. It's not foolproof though because nslookup will always do a fresh query of DNS, but by doing a ping it will use any cached IP it has on your OS.

And then you can do more fun troubleshooting like (on Windows):
nslookup -type=any www.mersenne.org

And then you see that "www" is really just a cname to the @ record. And doing the same -type=any for just plain mersenne.org gets you the real deal, an A record to the IP address.

Your DNS client does the cname->A-record lookups automagically, but hey, maybe I just blew some people's minds with that info.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-09, 20:26   #671
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,643 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
...but hey, maybe I just blew some people's minds with that info.
Yeah, maybe...
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official "Faits erronés dans de belles-lettres" thread ewmayer Lounge 39 2015-05-19 01:08
Official "all-Greek-to-me Fiction Literature and Cinema" Thread ewmayer Science & Technology 41 2014-04-16 11:54
Official "Lasciate ogne speranza" whinge-thread cheesehead Soap Box 56 2013-06-29 01:42
Official "Ernst is a deceiving bully and George is a meanie" thread cheesehead Soap Box 61 2013-06-11 04:30
Official "String copy Statement Considered Harmful" thread Dubslow Programming 19 2012-05-31 17:49

All times are UTC. The time now is 17:59.

Tue Oct 20 17:59:13 UTC 2020 up 40 days, 15:10, 1 user, load averages: 2.04, 2.21, 2.29

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.