"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

941710 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
The Dutch public prosecutor has decided not to proceed against the Dutch hacker
who allegedly gained access to President Trump's twitter account in October.
They consider that he kept to the rules of responsible disclosure.
Press release (Dutch only): https://www.om.nl/actueel/nieuws/202...niet-strafbaar
At least it wasn't "12345".
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
Dutch prosecutors have found a hacker did successfully log in to Donald Trump's Twitter account by guessing his password - "MAGA2020!"
Earlier this year, Mr Gevers also claimed he and other security researchers had logged in to Mr Trump's Twitter account in 2016 using a password - "yourefired"
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55337192
Old 2020-12-17, 05:10   #629
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

22×5×307 Posts
Default MAGA2020!

Shows that after four years he is yet to MAGA and he knows it.

Perhaps the plan was to make it worse (so success there) and then bring it up slightly from there to "make it better"? On second thought, no, that would require advance planning and foresight.

Last fiddled with by retina on 2020-12-17 at 05:11
Old 2020-12-17, 06:24   #630
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

25·5·59 Posts

Google Translate does an unexpected VERY good job of that Dutch article.
Old 2020-12-17, 08:40   #631
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

7·239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Google Translate does an unexpected VERY good job of that Dutch article.
I think software translators these days are trained on EU documents (which get carefully translated into all official languages of the EU and then published freely online).
Old 2020-12-17, 13:20   #632
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

11AA16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Shows that after four years he is yet to MAGA and he knows it.

Perhaps the plan was to make it worse (so success there) and then bring it up slightly from there to "make it better"? On second thought, no, that would require advance planning and foresight.
[aside] For the umpteenth time, I repeat that, being a narcissist, Il Duce's behavior has been quite predictable. For the umpteenth time, I post the link to Coping with narcissistic personality disorder in the White House, of which I posted an extended passage here. I think the predictions therein have held up pretty well. I had posted the link previously here. [/aside]

Back to the 2020 election. A SC State Senator name Bob Steinburg got in the news recently for parroting a tweet by USAF General (retired) Thomas McInerney (see This article at The Hill. It was a rehash of the idea that El Jefe should declare the election he lost to be invalid, declare martial law, suspend the writ of habeas corpus, invoke the Insurrection Act so he could deploy the military on US soil, make mass arrests, and convene military tribunals for the "traitors." In other words, we have to destroy the Republic in order to save it.

I looked up what General McInerney had actually said, and it was even more thoroughgoing in its banana republican-ness: Government officials at all levels were in on "the conspiracy," and the courts "could not be trusted." State Senator Steinburg suggested that the Supreme Court had rejected the Texas lawsuit because someone had "gotten to" Chief Justice Roberts.

Naturally, I wondered about General McInerney, with whose name I was not familiar. Silly me, I just hadn't been watching Faux News these many years.

So I started digging. And I found something rather interesting: an article by a writer named Jack Murphy, General Thomas McInerney and the Military-Industrial Complex. One of the most interesting things was the date: Oct 6, 2014. This article is six years old. The passage that had me standing at attention was the following:

Quote:
He isn't a right-wing nut as people like Rachel Maddow would have you believe. If we were to take McInerney's word's at face value, the politics he endorses are actually divorced from any ideology in contemporary mainstream politics. Like Lyndon LaRouche, Thomas McInerney's politics are so far out there that it is disingenuous to describe them as right-wing, Republican, or conservative. But it is highly unlikely that McInerney actually believes silly stories about Flight 370, Iranian nuclear weapons, and birther conspiracies.

Far more likely, he says these things cynically for purely political purposes.

McInerney honorably served his country for many years, but contrary to the lapel pin on his collar, what he does today is far from patriotic. In fact, it is the exact opposite. Misleading Americans with alarmism and hyperbolic statements is deconstructing our political process. An informed public is an absolute necessity for a democracy to function. When retired generals leverage their credibility to mislead the public like a pied piper for political purposes, we are in serious trouble.

When they lend their name to conspiracy theories, it only contributes to polarizing American politics and driving wedges between the American people. When politicians see that the talking heads on television are saying something that does not match up with what our intelligence professionals are telling them, it is then seen as an intelligence failure.

Thomas McInerney is not alone. He is one member of a clique of retired generals, admirals, and CIA officers who have created an echo chamber in which they cite each other as sources and stir up the political fringe of America. They do this intentionally, knowing that their alarmist messages will be diluted by the time they make their way down to more reasonable people. But in the meantime, the damage done to American politics is impossible to calculate.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2020-12-17 at 13:21 Reason: xigfin sopty
Old 2020-12-17, 16:41   #633
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×7×17×19 Posts

This news story shows how Team Orange has tried to manufacture "evidence" of election fraud. It has an embedded video of a news report on the October 19 incident (which kicks off with obnoxious advertising I was unable to circumvent), which has the guy running the outfit that hired the "investigators," including the Houston cop who has now been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

The story also has an embedded PDF of the arrest affidavit, which was submitted to a judge on December 10, after a multi-week investigation. There is a direct link to the 4-page affidavit here. IMO it is a masterpiece of clarity, and the facts presented in it are absolutely damning, against both the suspect and the folks that hired him. I can only hope the other suspects can be brought to book. Perhaps charges of robbery and vehicle theft can be added...

The official satement from the Harris County DA's office is here.
Old 2020-12-21, 14:42   #634
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×7×17×19 Posts

From the Motion for Expedited Consideration of the Petition for a Writ of Certiorari, submitted December 20, 2020 to the US Supreme Court (Trump for President v. Kathy Boockvar, Secretary of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania et al, emphasis in original):
Quote:
Finally, if this matter is not timely resolved, not only Petitioner, but the Nation as а whole may suffer injury from the resulting confusion. Indeed, the intense national and worldwide attention on the 2020 Presidential election only foreshadows the disruption that may well follow if the uncertainty and unfairness shrouding this election are allowed to persist. The importance of а prompt resolution of the federal constitutional questions presented by this case cannot be overstated.
This looks like a threat of violence to me, if they don't get their way.

At the risk of being accused of "treason," I aver that the only "confusion" and "uncertainty" is due to Petitioners themselves, led by the Liar-in-Chief, and their unceasing repetition of their malicious public accusations of "election fraud" -- accusations they have declined to repeat in courts of law, due to legal technicalities about perjury and disbarment.

Unfortunately, there is AFAIK no legal means to compel them to abjure their own lies, which would be necessary (though not sufficient) to stop the "uncertainty and unfairness shrouding this election" from persisting.
Old 2020-12-22, 13:29   #635
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·7·17·19 Posts

Following up on my mention of Daniel "El Jefe" Ortega's repression in this post and this post, plus something I apparently failed to mention, as described in this AP story about Nicaragua's oldest newspaper La Prensa finally getting its newsprint and ink, after the government had been holding it for 18 months in Customs without explanation, thanks to intervention by the Vatican, we have this:

Nicaragua essentially bans opposition from 2021 elections
Quote:
MANAGUA, Nicaragua (AP) — Nicaragua's ruling party-dominated Congress passed a law Monday that would essentially ban opposition candidates from running in the 2021 presidential elections.

The law gives the government of President Daniel Ortega the power to unilaterally declare citizens "terrorists" or coup-mongers, classify them as "traitors to the homeland" and ban them from running as candidates.

Given that Ortega has already applied those terms to virtually the entire opposition and the leaders of massive 2018 protests against his regime, the law approved Monday appears aimed at sweeping aside the last roadblock to Ortega's continuing his near-perpetual rule over the Central American nation.

The law bans candidates "who lead or finance a coup ... encourage foreign interference, ask for military intervention ... propose or plan economic blockades, applaud and champion the imposition of sanctions against Nicaragua or its citizens."
<snip>
I haven't heard any comment from Republicans, but it seems to me that this is exactly the kind of "democracy" they want. Except, instead of only allowing members of their party to run for office, the Republicans want to go full "Democratic Peoples' Republic," and only allow members of their Party to vote.
Old 2020-12-22, 21:43   #636
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×7×17×19 Posts
Default The Lincoln Project is at it again...

The following video seems to have gotten under you-know-whose skin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxBPqCHFCcc

Apparently, he's going into total meltdown:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1777757.html

Imagine if he tries to order someone to do something illegal, and they say, "Go yourself, LOSER!"
Old 2020-12-22, 22:11   #637
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

9,547 Posts

Thank you good Dr for posting that.
I think that MP might be absent from school that day and let the class VP take care of the job.
Old 2020-12-22, 22:37   #638
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·7·17·19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Thank you good Dr for posting that.
I think that MP might be absent from school that day and let the class VP take care of the job.
More on VP presiding over senate at Politico. It links to an Axios article on the Great Leaver turning on everyone who isn't a dead-ender. This is IMO better than the article I linked to before.

Curiously, it doesn't mention that incumbent VP (and losing VP candidate in the1980 election) Walter Mondale presided over the counting of the electoral votes on January 6, 1981, as documented here (see "AFTER RECESS" in the middle column at the bottom of page 192).
Closed Thread