mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Archived Projects > NFSNET Discussion

Old 2004-03-25, 22:56   #1
_ArJaN_

Mar 2004
Enschede, The Netherlands

3 Posts
Default Running the client under OpenBSD 3.3

Hello,

I have a problem with running the client under OpenBSD 3.3. I have the libraries redhat_base-8.0p2 and freebsd_lib-4.0
installed, but i'm not able to boot the client.

When i try the Linux client i get the following error:
./nfsnetinit: error while loading shared libraries: libgcc_s.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I looked, but the file is also not on the system.

When using the FreeBSD version 4 i get the following error:
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.3: Undefined symbol "__ti9exception"
That file does exist on the system in the directory /usr/local/emul/freebsd/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1, but i have no idee how
i can fix this problem.

Anyone who managed to run it under OpenBSD?
Old 2004-03-26, 01:48   #2
junky

Jan 2004

7·19 Posts

i've never run OpenBSD, so i can't help ya, sorry.

Gonna try to find a version somewhere, and see whats wrong.
Old 2004-03-26, 18:15   #3
TauCeti

Mar 2003
Braunschweig, Germany

2×113 Posts

The same problems exist with OpenBSD 3.4. I have worked with Richard to build native clients on OpenBSD but we are not finished with the siever so far.

I have no access to a redhat installation so i was not able to add libgcc_s.so.1 to the emulation in the /emul/linux tree.

But i think i have found a way to extract a rpm with OpenBSD now *redface* and will try if that solves the problem on monday (i have no access to the test-system right now)

Regards,

Lars
Old 2004-03-28, 12:53   #4
_ArJaN_

Mar 2004
Enschede, The Netherlands

3 Posts

Great, a working OpenBSD client means about 2 to 3 more machines in my hurd :)
Old 2004-03-29, 09:50   #5
TauCeti

Mar 2003
Braunschweig, Germany

E216 Posts

I got the linux emulation to work today on OpenBSD. It seems to work well but there may be a slight problem with the GUID determination (not sure). I need to check that with Richard before i post detailed instructions for the setup here.

Stay tuned ;)

Lars
Old 2004-03-30, 08:33   #6
TauCeti

Mar 2003
Braunschweig, Germany

22610 Posts

If you want to run the client with linux-emulation on OpenBSD, there are two problems right now:

a) The detection of the GUID with OpenBSD does not detect the hardware-based MAC-adress, so you will get a random GUID assigned.
b) you may not be able to trun the client silently in the background because a) produces some error messages. Of course using a virtual console works.

But if a) and b) don't bother you on your system, you should be able to use the client.

It hope it should not be too difficult to fix a) and b) but i did not succeed with a quick hack and have to queue the problem right now.

To get it to work with linux emulation, i did the following:

1. Installed the ports tree on the OBSD box (i used cvs)
2. enabled linux-emulation in sysctl.conf (do this before you do step 3!)
3. installed the /emulators/redhat port
4. downloaded the libgcc-3.2-7.i386.rpm from the web (multiple sources with google)
5. tried for 30 minutes to figure out how to extract rpms in OpenBSD with rpm2cio *redface*. Then i used 7-zip (http://www.7-zip.org/) on my windows box for the extraction (btw: awesome packer tool)
6. copied the lib to /emul/linux/lib on the OBSD box
7. created a libgcc_s.so.1 symlink to the library

I think you are stuck at step 4. If you want, i can also send you the library via email (sned the request to lars.fricke@web.de please)

Have fun,

Lars
Old 2004-05-05, 10:41   #7
koekie

Dec 2002
Amsterdam, Netherlands

22×19 Posts

I just installed sprime on my freshly installed OpenBSD box and I used the FreeBSD static linked one version 23.5. Only have to give to following command before I run the client:
sysctl kern.emul.freebsd=1
and it works right away. Didn't noticed any problems so far.
Old 2004-05-05, 13:38   #8
smh

"Sander"
Oct 2002

22458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koekie
I just installed sprime on my freshly installed OpenBSD box and I used the FreeBSD static linked one version 23.5. Only have to give to following command before I run the client:
sysctl kern.emul.freebsd=1
and it works right away. Didn't noticed any problems so far.
They were talking about the NFSNET client and not sprime.

See the title of this forum.
Old 2004-05-05, 13:42   #9
koekie

Dec 2002
Amsterdam, Netherlands

22·19 Posts

Ooops :surprised sorry, didn't noticed that since I came to the post by searching for OpenBSD. I had some problems in the past with it and now I got it to work thought maybe someone else can use it also. So sorry I will have a closer look at the forum title in the future