Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-14, 05:34   #35
tuckerkao

Jan 2020

157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Do you know what that signifies?
So I don't get the wrong testing result. I always make sure to let my computer rest after certain amount of hours of continuous testing.

Last fiddled with by tuckerkao on 2020-10-14 at 05:34
tuckerkao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-14, 08:49   #36
Viliam Furik

"Viliam Furík"
Jul 2018
Martin, Slovakia

52×13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerkao View Post
So I don't get the wrong testing result. I always make sure to let my computer rest after certain amount of hours of continuous testing.
Not exactly, Jacobi error check is not 100% bulletproof. AFAIK, there is a 2% chance of error on an average test (not taking machine reputation into account). If your machine is problematic (multiple errors in each test), it will most probably be caught by the error check. If it's only slightly problematic (very occasional problems, e.g. 1 error per 5 tests), it might not be detected.

And regarding the "resting", well, a computer is, as my IT teacher would say, "quick but dumb". It can perform many billions of operations per second, but if you program it incorrectly, it will do it as you said it should do it. That's the main way of explaining the phrase. Another way is, that computer being "dumb" means it can work non-stop until it wears out (silicon degradation). It won't get tired, perhaps only hot, if not properly cooled.

In my opinion, if the CPU is properly cooled, and components are not flaky (e.g. AliExpress PSU), it should be able to work without rest, at least for some period of time.
Viliam Furik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-14, 13:22   #37
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

918110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viliam Furik View Post
Not exactly, Jacobi error check is not 100% bulletproof. AFAIK, there is a 2% chance of error on an average test (not taking machine reputation into account).
And since it is a Jacobi error check and not the Gerbicz, tuckerkao is also running an LL and not a PRP. The PRP has error testing that allows it to recover from errors. So, the error percentage is reduced to less than 0.1%
Old 2020-10-14, 14:18   #38
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

29·167 Posts

LL: Bad choice for first primality test, don't run it any more after this exponent. ~2% error rate of completed test despite great programmers' best efforts at error detection and correction. Always requires a double check, sometimes requires a triple check or more. Wasteful choice. Don't do it if the hardware can run PRP instead. (Any modern cpu and OS will be able to run PRP instead. Even ancient Windows Vista.)

PRP without proof: Less-bad choice for first primality test, use PRP not LL whenever possible as the primality test. Observed PRP with GEC error rate ~0.013% on 30,000 samples. Still double checked. Most of the 0.013% error rate was due to programming errors that have been corrected, so estimated current error rate is <0.005%.

PRP with proof: Best choice for first-primality-test. Available in prime95, mprime, and gpuowl very recent versions, V30 and V6.11-3xx or later, respectively. Same excellent low error rate as PRP without proof, plus provable correctness at ~1% as much effort as a traditional double check. So in effect, twice as fast as LL, less than 1/100 the error rate.

Most importantly, RESERVE ASSIGNMENTS, don't step on others' work in progress, that's wasteful.

Please RTFM, either (or better, all of) the already posted links, the prime95 included documentation starting with readme.txt, https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=24607

"Suggested reading for new participants begins with the new participant reference thread immediately following, continuing through at least post 5 of the Mersenne Prime GPU computing reference material thread, and for cpu application to GIMPS, both https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=23900 for prime95/mprime and https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=23427 for mlucas (far down this page in both cases).

New participant reference thread https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=24588"

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-10-14 at 14:25
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-14, 17:16   #39
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

11FD16 Posts

Quote:
Solids expand when they heat, and shrink when they cool. By "resting" your machine every day after some hours of computation, you are expressly avoiding a steady-state existence and forcing cycles of expansion and cooling.

By running computation 24/7, one avoids thermal expansion & cooling, and quite possibly extends the life of the components. It's pointless to "rest" a desktop machine for the machine's sake. One might "rest" a machine because of heat load on one's air conditioning, or to avoid peak-power-rate charges, but it's folly to think you're preserving your computer. If you want to do computation, do it. If you are afraid it's getting too hot, buy better cooling.
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-14, 22:21   #40
tuckerkao

Jan 2020

157 Posts

What range of exponents should I enter for the PRP test during the first time?
https://www.mersenne.org/manual_assignment/

Running 1 LL shouldn't be too long, I won't know what's going on or what is doing until 1 full cycle completed.
Old 2020-10-14, 22:34   #41
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

9,181 Posts

Quote:
What range of exponents should I enter for the PRP test during the first time?
If you are trying to test specific exponents the best way to get them assigned to you is not with that form. Again, you should respect any current assignments and obey the assignment rules.

By asking about the range to enter it shows that you don't understand what you are doing.
Old 2020-10-14, 23:40   #42
tuckerkao

Jan 2020

157 Posts

I'm seeing a list of active assignments, how did they start the PRP on their specific exponents?
https://www.mersenne.org/assignments...&exp1=1&extf=1

Quote:
If you are trying to test specific exponents the best way to get them assigned to you is not with that form. Again, you should respect any current assignments and obey the assignment rules.
What's the best way and which webpage or form should I be on?

Will it work if I insert "PRP = 1, 2, 103374163, -1, 74, 2" to my worktodo.txt?

Last fiddled with by tuckerkao on 2020-10-15 at 00:02
Old 2020-10-15, 00:04   #43
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

9,181 Posts

Quote:
I'm seeing a list of active assignments, how did they start the PRP on their specific exponents?
They just set-up their software and let PrimeNet assign them what ever exponent. Most people don't try to test an exponent of their choosing. Those that do and register them know what they are doing.

Quote:
What's the best way and which webpage or form should I be on?
If you want to do a specific exponent, examine the links that have been provided in this thread and read all of the documentation files that came with the software that you plan to use.
Old 2020-10-15, 01:12   #44
tuckerkao

Jan 2020

157 Posts

Quote:
If you want to do a specific exponent, examine the links that have been provided in this thread and read all of the documentation files that came with the software that you plan to use.
[Worker #1]
AdvancedTest=103374163
PRP=N/A,1,2,103347613,-1

If I swap the 2 lines, then Prime95 will perform the other task first, at least I got my PRP Test functioning and able to pause and rerun, but I still cannot register them.