mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2016-04-22, 20:06   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

66618 Posts
Default Xyzzy, the man, the myth, the surprising but not disappointing reality

We met at Chik-Fil-A, because he wanted to keep to his diet. Not really sure how Chik-Fil-A ties into any respectable diet, but I'm assuming there are items I'm not familiar with, maybe the salads are super awesome for health conscious people.

My dad took me there and then abandoned me, so the whole,"Hang out with me so my nervous disorder doesn't go haywire," was either totally forgotten about or...I don't know.

Turns out I did okay. Hard to be nervous with someone who has a cracked larynx, especially when they could pass for a college professor. He came bearing gifts, those pinon buttons you see sometimes, in this case 4 of them, with the 4 highest known primes on them, in equation form. All Mersenne primes, and all GIMPS primes.

We talked a bit about everything and nothing, mfgoode and his post count, the whole concept of being in the top-10 in post count and how different people have different reasons for posting stuff. I suggested that someone should make a script to run on the server, or with permission, remotely. Probably best to run it locally on the server, even if Xyzzy doesn't write it. And now my silly brain remembers remote login, so I'm an idiot.

Never talked about math, except to say, with my dad there(when he showed up later) that not everybody on the forum is a mathematician. When my dad showed up, the talk turned to the Army and bikes. Lance Armstrong, Greg Lemahn(probably spelled wrong) and doping practices. They both agreed certain drugs "work"(with the word "work" having a very complex and both positive and negative connotation). We talked about the high crime rate in Wynne, Arkansas without invoking any stereotypes that I could see. (RAISE DA ROOF!!!)

Oh, and I forgot to shave. When I left the bathroom at home, the mirror was foggy. And I didn't carve those shapes into my facial hair. He didn't ask about it, but I'll mention it here so my brain will leave me alone about it. My right cheek(specifically on MY right) has a 4-leaf clover that looks like it was added on with an electric razor that very morning. If it was intentional, it means there are beings that we have no solid knowledge about watching us. Not saying Jesus is a thing, just saying if it wasn't natural causes that put it there, it was supernatural causes. My left cheek has a couple Nike swoosh looking things. I like to say my right cheek is because I'm a lucky guy, and my left cheek is my fast mind, even though I have ADD.

When me and my dad left, we went to look at Mike's motorcycle, a Harley Davidson. Very fancy and comfortable looking, though, as he said, not very fast. Said he can't ride in cars because of an injury, which now reminds me that we talked about car seats and how they might be changed to accommodate him.

All in all, an awesome afternoon. My dad said he was a legit nerd, meaning not a faker, which would look awesome on a resume seen by anyone who knows my father.

Can't come up with a good way to end this, so, um...Bye.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-22, 20:18   #2
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×3×1,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Can't come up with a good way to end this, so, um...Bye.
Perhaps Xyzzy should be thanked for letting people who wish to express themselves honestly the opportunity to do so.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-22, 23:34   #3
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

100011111010102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
We met at Chik-Fil-A, because he wanted to keep to his diet. Not really sure how Chik-Fil-A ties into any respectable diet, but I'm assuming there are items I'm not familiar with, maybe the salads are super awesome for health conscious people.
Thanks for this most interesting post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Perhaps Xyzzy should be thanked for letting people who wish to express themselves honestly the opportunity to do so.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-23, 07:31   #4
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

2×11×192 Posts

It was really cool to meet someone from the forum.

The food was good, the conversation was interesting and the weather was beautiful.

What more could a person ask for?

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-24, 14:47   #5
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

23BB16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Did I hear something about ye coming to Thai?
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-24, 15:16   #6
Spherical Cow

Nov 2004

22×33×5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post

The food was good, the conversation was interesting and the weather was beautiful.

What more could a person ask for?

If you're putting together your first (last?) World Concert Tour with the gerbils, trolls, and other assorted roadies, please include Tucson on list!! I'd actually buy the commemorative T-shirt for this one!!

Norm
Spherical Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-26, 22:41   #7
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Cow View Post
If you're putting together your first (last?) World Concert Tour with the gerbils, trolls, and other assorted roadies, please include Tucson on list!! I'd actually buy the commemorative T-shirt for this one!!

Norm
T-shirt? All I got was buttons, lol.

Now I get to try to explain to people that primes don't automatically prefer to be next to powers of 2, it's just those numbers are easiest to test relative to their size.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote