chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·3·1,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBamberger View Post
Pardon me? (Sorry if I miss the point; but I honestly do.)
That's cool.

Some are comfortable pushing the envelope.

Other's? Not so much.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-01, 07:02   #255
DanielBamberger

"Daniel Bamberger"
Nov 2017
Marburg, Germany

110112 Posts
Default no harm intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Some are comfortable pushing the envelope.
See my edit (I honestly did not understand, sorry!).

Please, there's no need to fight over it. I think I made my point. Nobody needs to agree with it. If it contains any useful thoughts then good; if not then it's just that: My useless thoughts.
DanielBamberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-01, 07:06   #256
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

222728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBamberger View Post
Nobody needs to agree with it. If it contains any useful thoughts then good; if not then it's just that: My useless thoughts.
Only human.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-01, 07:37   #257
daxmick

Feb 2014

22·3·7 Posts

I agree with "timing" the release of the information. It is unfortunate that the discovery was during this time of year (sandwiched between arguably the 2 biggest holidays). Assuming that the M51 won't be during this week I'm guessing that only a few days will be needed to "hush" the information.

Personally I feel it is cool to be a part of the "elite" group of people searching for thlargest prime numbers and I'm willing to take on the responsibility of not publishing "insider" information before the official press release date. Thank you for letting me have some cool knowledge prior to the rest of the world! :-)

As an aside, I think we should do our best to get as much press out of these discoveries as we can. Hopefully it will bring in more compute to our cause and/or possibly some funding!

Keep up the good work guys! Let's find M51 in 2018!
daxmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-01, 08:16   #258
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

36758 Posts

Given that this thread has already been viewed more than 10k, indicates that it is being watched by a lot of outsiders, and I think if would be better if mods would clean some of the language on this thread.
Again just my 2 cents.
a1call is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-01, 12:55   #259
bgbeuning

Dec 2014

22×32×7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy235 View Post
Once it is verified, however, it should be communicated to the forum. If you want to, you can embargo the news and wait until the official announcement before giving any interviews to the press.
At one time finding primes had cash rewards.
The GIMPS project had a long debate on how to split the reward.
I think part of the reason for the disclosure rules is to make sure
someone does not try to "claim jump" a reward.
bgbeuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-01, 14:12   #260
pacionet

Oct 2005
Italy

5238 Posts

To have worlwide diffusion of the discovery, why don't we suggest Google to create a Doodle for the event?

I found this:

If you have a suggestion for a Google Doodle, you can email it to proposals@google.com
pacionet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-01, 14:14   #261
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

101001000000012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1call View Post
Given that this thread has already been viewed more than 10k, indicates that it is being watched by a lot of outsiders, and I think if would be better if mods would clean some of the language on this thread.
Again just my 2 cents.
It's educational.

It reminds the posters that they should think before posting, not afterwards, in case their language is subsequently taken to indicate their character and abilities.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-01, 15:24   #262
airsquirrels

"David"
Jul 2015
Ohio

11×47 Posts

It would seem to me that what is important here is what is best for the project. Not individual forum users or contributors who have FOMO, or those who want to jump in and claim credit. The wiki edit appears to be a user who wanted to be the first to blurt out the news, without consideration for the effects of his actions.

What is best for the project? The biggest press splash possible. A well timed well written Press Release. An air of formality to the whole thing. This has the best chance of attracting users, funding, and resources to the project, and ultimately benefits the search.

I operate a small/medium company and the same battle is regularily fought internally. Devs and sales want to toss a product out the moment it is ready. Even just to our “prized special customers”. Marketing forces everyone to slow down. They fact check everything, write up a release, line up multiple press publications, and drop the news ceremoniously to the press ahead of an embargo. Then at 10am EST on a Tuesday morning it goes out wide and press and social media have a volume behind it. There is another reason for this. Very often the press will not want to publish something that is old news, even by a few hours. If the number was creeping around the internet by way of this forum, many in the press would no longer consider it news worthy.

We’ve been through dozens of such information releases, and we have done it both ways. It really does make a big difference.

This is all IMHO, but the actions taken by George et al. really are looking out for the best interests of the project as a whole. As to the others, individual patience will go a long way.
airsquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-01, 16:13   #263
masser

Jul 2003
wear a mask

5F416 Posts

I think astronomy was mentioned earlier, but consider the 5 months between LIGO's first observation and the announcement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_...tational_waves

At eight days, I think George and company are doing pretty well.

Last fiddled with by masser on 2018-01-01 at 16:14
masser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-01, 17:02   #264
aurashift

Jan 2015

11×23 Posts

I only skimmed the thread (read:lazy). Want me to do a DC with mprime 29.4b5 on a 22 core with a 1600MHZ turbo boost and crank up the fans?

Last fiddled with by aurashift on 2018-01-01 at 17:03
aurashift is offline   Reply With Quote