mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Hobbies

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-09-22, 06:54   #1
lavalamp
 
lavalamp's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
London, UK

22×3×109 Posts
Default Raspberry Pi

Wheee! Just ordered myself a Raspberry Pi, should arrive within a week or so.

Thought I might have a go at writing an implementation of the prime counting function for it so I can get my self-referential kicks. After that, I don't know...

Has anyone else here toyed with these?
lavalamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-24, 22:44   #2
lavalamp
 
lavalamp's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
London, UK

24348 Posts
Default

Well that arrived much sooner than I expected. Now begins the tinkering.
lavalamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-24, 23:57   #3
kladner
 
kladner's Avatar
 
"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×3×1,667 Posts
Default

Do keep us posted!
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 11:54   #4
BudgieJane
 
BudgieJane's Avatar
 
"Jane Sullivan"
Jan 2011
Beckenham, UK

5·47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavalamp View Post
Well that arrived much sooner than I expected. Now begins the tinkering.
Only one?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05...ry_pi_cluster/
BudgieJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 13:36   #5
bsquared
 
bsquared's Avatar
 
"Ben"
Feb 2007

63428 Posts
Default

A friend of mine got his to play old arcade games using the GPIO to connect a joystick. You may want to search around a little more but I believe he followed something like this.
bsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 22:21   #6
lavalamp
 
lavalamp's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
London, UK

51C16 Posts
Default

Heh, yes Budgie, just the one.

I'm not much of a hardware tinkerer, so I'll probably be leaving the GPIO pins untouched, however I did buy a book that teaches programming on the Pi, specifically in Python which I've heard is all kinds of sexy. Figured I'd get a feel for the device and learn a new language at the same time.
lavalamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 23:38   #7
henryzz
Just call me Henry
 
henryzz's Avatar
 
"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

5·31·37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavalamp View Post
Heh, yes Budgie, just the one.

I'm not much of a hardware tinkerer, so I'll probably be leaving the GPIO pins untouched, however I did buy a book that teaches programming on the Pi, specifically in Python which I've heard is all kinds of sexy. Figured I'd get a feel for the device and learn a new language at the same time.
You might be interested in experimenting with programs like msieve that compile with pure c if necessary.
henryzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-22, 02:55   #8
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
República de California

22·31·79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
You might be interested in experimenting with programs like msieve that compile with pure c if necessary.
Does the latest version of Pi run the ARM Neon? I'm currently in the process of porting my Mlucas 128-bit SIMD assembler macros to that architecture, using an Odroid C2. Hope to have that releasable sometime this Fall.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-26, 15:35   #9
henryzz
Just call me Henry
 
henryzz's Avatar
 
"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

5×31×37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Does the latest version of Pi run the ARM Neon? I'm currently in the process of porting my Mlucas 128-bit SIMD assembler macros to that architecture, using an Odroid C2. Hope to have that releasable sometime this Fall.
I think that would depend on the operating system used. I think the default raspbian is still 32-bit.
henryzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-14, 21:07   #10
kwalisch
 
kwalisch's Avatar
 
Sep 2015

22×5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Does the latest version of Pi run the ARM Neon? I'm currently in the process of porting my Mlucas 128-bit SIMD assembler macros to that architecture, using an Odroid C2. Hope to have that releasable sometime this Fall.
Yes, I have a Raspberry pi 3 and I have installed openSUSE 64-bit (AArch64) on it in order to test the ARM Neon popcnt algorithm used in my libpopcnt.
kwalisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-16, 00:37   #11
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
República de California

22·31·79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalisch View Post
Yes, I have a Raspberry pi 3 and I have installed openSUSE 64-bit (AArch64) on it in order to test the ARM Neon popcnt algorithm used in my libpopcnt.
Good to know - I will announce any beta code release in the Software -> Mlucas subforum. Based on my progress rate so far, late September looks like it will the absolute earliest possibility for such. Speaking of which, back to work...
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
raspberry pi3 and srxsieve speed pepi37 Hardware 6 2018-03-20 18:01
Runs Prime95 on Raspberry Pi primeawesome Hardware 6 2018-02-14 08:19
Which SIMD flag to use for Raspberry Pi BrainStone Mlucas 14 2017-11-19 00:59
Raspberry Pi sloppyonefoot Software 1 2017-07-02 08:48
Raspberry Pi xilman Hardware 126 2017-06-01 14:42

All times are UTC. The time now is 20:18.

Fri Oct 30 20:18:08 UTC 2020 up 50 days, 17:29, 1 user, load averages: 2.79, 2.29, 2.10

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.