Sep 2002
Barbados

28CA16 Posts
Default Shocking developments

Moderator note: Spun off bird-related thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
A duck paradise?
Here's what at least one geek immediately sees...

Hmmm... It looks like there are four (4#) wires for high-voltage Transmission. Weird. Normally there are three. Or six.

The lower run of cables looks like three-phase Distribution (there will be a transformer in the circuit somewhere nearby, out of frame).

The pole placement and cabling (Layers 0 and 1) look sub-optimal for the Distribution, despite the "tap-off" observed on the shorter pole.

That is meant to be funny, and serious, at the same time.

Mike... When it stops raining... That infrastructure deployment doesn't make sense to me.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2022-01-12 at 00:35
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-11, 22:33   #2
sdbardwick

Aug 2002
North San Diego County

2·3·112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Here's what at least one geek immediately sees...

Hmmm... It looks like there are four (4#) wires for high-voltage Transmission. Weird. Normally there are three. Or six.

The lower run of cables looks like three-phase Distribution (there will be a transformer in the circuit somewhere nearby, out of frame).

The pole placement and cabling (Layers 0 and 1) look sub-optimal for the Distribution, despite the "tap-off" observed on the shorter pole.

That is meant to be funny, and serious, at the same time.

Mike... When it stops raining... That infrastructure deployment doesn't make sense to me.
You already know some of this, but others might not...
Topmost wire on the taller poles is the static wire. It is grounded, and thus doesn't carry power; job is to dissipate static after/before lightning strikes. The lines below it are the primary power lines - note they have insulators while the static line does not. Those look like regional distribution lines - maybe 115KV estimating from size of insulators. The lines below the primaries are no surprise, the secondary lines, probably around 5KV that connect to the transformer that outputs the household supply - 240V split phase in US (each split is 120V, out of phase with the other, so voltage across splits is 240V). Looks like there might be a 4th wire in the secondary as well, which would be the grounded neutral line. Not an uncommon wire arrangement in US.
Source: conversation with San Diego Gas and Electric (SDGE) senior lineman friend years ago.

Last fiddled with by sdbardwick on 2022-01-11 at 22:42
sdbardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-11, 22:53   #3
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·23·227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbardwick View Post
You already know some of this, but others might not...
Thank you for that. Sincerely.

T&D is a problem space few appreciate. Our configuration here in little Bimshire is, let's just say, somewhat different... And don't even get me started on what I have seen in some other places...

Edit: Ah... You guys protect your Transmission lines with lightning mitigation, not just your Distribution lines. Smart.

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2022-01-11 at 23:07 Reason: Just realized the obvious! Thanks.
Old 2022-01-11, 23:13   #4
sdbardwick

Aug 2002
North San Diego County

72610 Posts

Lineman also speculated that it serves as support when a car takes out a pole; static lines attached more tightly to poles and prevents the revenue lines from going out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hangon.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	26393  

Last fiddled with by sdbardwick on 2022-01-11 at 23:24
sdbardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-11, 23:24   #5
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·23·227 Posts

Quote:
Lineman also speculated that it serves as support when a car takes out a pole; static lines attached more tightly to poles and prevents the revenue lines from going out.
LOL... And, I hear you.

Very few appreciate just how hard the Lineman (Line-persons?) work. Dealing with something invisible that could kill them instantly if they don't do everything ***exactly*** correctly every time they work with it.

This has helped me with something I'm currently working on. Thank you for that.
Old 2022-01-12, 00:46   #6
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

204038 Posts

There are no lines coming from those towers to our house so they must be buried.

Compared to where we last lived we experience fewer power outages. Well, we get more outages <5s but fewer long outages.

Our neighbor is a lineman for the electric company and the substation is up the road about 2 miles.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-12, 01:17   #7
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

132038 Posts

Quote:
Holy-moly! That pole got snapped off way up! Just below the lowest wire, it looks like. Must have been some car!

The static line surely helped keep the top of the pole in place. The fact that the severed pole stayed suspended in mid-air is proof that the lines are quite strong, and securely fastened to the pole. Are any of the lines supported by additional cabling that is fastened to the pole?
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-12, 01:39   #8
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

7·1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Dealing with something invisible that could kill them instantly if they don't do everything ***exactly*** correctly every time they work with it.
Don't we all?
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-12, 01:46   #9
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

7×1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
The fact that the severed pole stayed suspended in mid-air is proof that the lines are quite strong
Well, what do you expect, that is thick and hard metal bars braided inside. On the way to work, we have seen repeatedly a guy hanging on the 60k lines, together with something that looks like a small car - no idea what they were doing, maintenance, repairing, whatever, it looked like "cleaning the wires" (albeit, there is no ice here, year around). The wires cross the highway at more than 15 or 20 meters height, and can be seen for a long distance on both sides.

Edit: I had to google that, could not rest my OCD, haha. Here is something very interesting, except, there is no car, those guys have helicopters. What I have seen was like a cable car. I think, when there is no helicopter available, they use a plastic wire to lift themselves (and the toolbox = car) to the wires. But this is only a guess. I have seen this more than 5 or 6 times in 20 years. Watch the video to the end, the end is brilliant.

Edit 2: More comprehensive (albeit it seems a bit old, it explains a lot of things).

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2022-01-12 at 02:24
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-12, 18:52   #10
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

33×313 Posts

Closer pictures of the wires in front of our HQ:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	26402   Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	26403  
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-12, 18:57   #11
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×23×227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Don't we all?
All those with SWMBOs, definitely...

"Was my tone OK? Could there be any possible misinterpretation of the words used? Could my words possibly be taken as a slight upon anyone? Do I currently carry a penis? Balls?

My apologies for that bit of creative writing... It was meant to be funny, and serious, at the same time. No disrecpect intended towards any sentient entity. Now, or any time in the future.