Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Data

Old 2021-11-25, 02:32   #936
masser

Jul 2003
Behind BB

3·17·37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gLauss View Post
Unfortunately, axn poached that list of P-1 on at least one exponent 5547953. So I will stop working on any exponents for now, please "unreserve" everything. I probably work to irregularly and am not contributing much anyway with my laptop - so I will work on whatever I like, but only on ranges where there has been no progress for at least some time and make sure to report my results timely.
Careful with that p word there. We actually blundered into axn's range a little recklessly. It was gracious of him to accept that you would be working in that range after I picked those candidates for you. There's a chance he had already completed a few of the assignments by the time I came up with that list.

It's going to become more difficult to avoid toe-stepping as the number of available ranges and the amount of work for a given work type decreases. We should all continue to avoid others ranges and communicate our intentions. We should also be prepared for occasional accidents too. Let's be kind and have fun.
masser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-25, 03:39   #937
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

3×11×157 Posts

Quote:
Unfortunately, axn poached that list of P-1 on at least one exponent 5547953. So I will stop working on any exponents for now, please "unreserve" everything. I probably work to irregularly and am not contributing much anyway with my laptop - so I will work on whatever I like, but only on ranges where there has been no progress for at least some time and make sure to report my results timely.
Sorry that happened.
However, you will notice that in post 842 (5 few hours after masser gave you the 5.5 list) that I did indicate that axn was working on 5.5 and 5.6 range and offered you some in the 6.5 range.

That range is still open if you choose to try again.
Thanks
Wayne
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-25, 03:41   #938
petrw1

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

3·11·157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masser View Post
It's going to become more difficult to avoid toe-stepping as the number of available ranges and the amount of work for a given work type decreases. We should all continue to avoid others ranges and communicate our intentions. We should also be prepared for occasional accidents too. Let's be kind and have fun.
I'm going to look into expanding the list in Post #1 of this thread to include all active ranges....that it may be a little harder to keep accurate as I have noticed some transient work over the years.
Old 2021-11-25, 11:48   #939
axn

Jun 2003

5·29·37 Posts

Quote:
Unfortunately, axn poached that list of P-1 on at least one exponent 5547953.
Quote:
Originally Posted by masser View Post
Careful with that p word there. We actually blundered into axn's range a little recklessly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
Please feel free to crunch them. When I get to these sub ranges, I will be sure to exclude them from my list.
Unfortunately, in this case, the blunder was all mine. My dumbass totally forgot that I was supposed to skip those. Sorry! :-(

From the project's perspective, 5.5 is complete, so I'm no longer doing any other work there. I, unfortunately, did all those in the 5.54xxxx range. 5.55xxxx is untouched, but, again, they're not needed from project's perspective.

Once again, my sincere apologies -- you did nothing wrong.
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-25, 22:42   #940
gLauss

Nov 2014

2716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
Unfortunately, in this case, the blunder was all mine. My dumbass totally forgot that I was supposed to skip those. Sorry! :-(
Once again, my sincere apologies -- you did nothing wrong.
Don't worry, I "wasted" only a few of them, i.e. less than 10 GHzd. Consider it as P-1 doublecheck. The laptops mainly do "useless" stuff anyway, such as trying to finally find a factor for 20825573 :)

I think I will do some P+1 testing in some of the smaller ranges. I think half of the B1 bound for P-1 should be a good bound, but only if reasonable P-1 was done. Larger B1 is not useful (because one should do P-1 first).

It won't have large chances (similiar to a single ECM curve with that B1) but at least I will not bother anyone of you while being able to contribute and if I am lucky I will find one or a few factors.
gLauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-25, 23:35   #941
lisanderke

"Lisander Viaene"
Oct 2020
Belgium

109 Posts

New factor found! :D

lisanderke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-26, 04:10   #942
petrw1

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

3·11·157 Posts
Default @Luminescence .... you downed a big one!!! 27.2M

Crossing my fingers you will take another.

Thanks
Wayne
Old 2021-11-26, 17:17   #943
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

28DA16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Thanks everyone! You've given me several bugs to hunt down.
Thanks, George. This is going to be absolutely amazing!!!

I will never get this this level of coding (let alone Maths), but as a tiny contribution I've added a column to the To Below Two Thousand Unfactored Candidates report: "Avg B2".

This should allow us to better observe the P-1 work being done, and also better inform us where some additional (even if expensive) TF'ing should be done.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-26, 19:36   #944
Luminescence

Oct 2021
Germany

22×52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
Crossing my fingers you will take another.

Thanks
Wayne
Feeding 26.5M to the beasts...
Luminescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-26, 19:42   #945
masser

Jul 2003
Behind BB

3·17·37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
I will never get this this level of coding (let alone Maths), but as a tiny contribution I've added a column to the To Below Two Thousand Unfactored Candidates report: "Avg B2".

This should allow us to better observe the P-1 work being done, and also better inform us where some additional (even if expensive) TF'ing should be done.
Thank you! This will be a useful diagnostic.
masser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-26, 20:13   #946
Flaukrotist

Sep 2020
Germany

4310 Posts
Default I will take 8.1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
I've added a column to the To Below Two Thousand Unfactored Candidates report: "Avg B2".

Thanks for that column. I have started working on 8.1M with P-1, B1=5M, B2=180M (determined with the methodolgy of Wayne) with 2 Colab instances. I will get an assignment for all exponents that I will work on. I've already done 100 exponents with 7 factors found. And now I can see the B2 value climbing up in that report with every new test. Amazing
Flaukrotist is offline   Reply With Quote