mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2002-08-16, 00:54   #1
Stormblade

Aug 2002

A16 Posts
Default Couple of ideas/things to do

First, would anyone be interested in having a field where your team name (if you are on a team) would show up under your name when you post? or maybe just be in your profile, so people could look if they wanted.. (would be optional of course, for those of you who are paranoid)

Secondly, I think we need a sticky thread or something stating what rules and policys are currently in place on the forum, such as "sigs are discouraged" etc...

Ooo.. looky this board has polls!
(off to dream up some silly poll questions.. :D )
Stormblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-08-16, 01:42   #2
Tasuke

Aug 2002

23×32 Posts

Actually, if we can implement the name of the Participant and their ranking/total CPU time as a description of them (to the left under where the avatar goes)This may be an interesting feature. It is relatively easy to grab the top producers list off the Primenet page with a recurring daily script.
Tasuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-08-16, 02:07   #3
Lord_Humungous

Aug 2002

23 Posts

Is it possible to list the topic title at the top of the reply form? As I'm writing this I can see a topic review at the bottom of the page, but I don't see the actual title of the topic anywhere....
Lord_Humungous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-08-16, 03:35   #4
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

5×29×59 Posts

I just added a mod that displays some performance data at the bottom of each page... Please keep your eye on this and notify me if the forum seems to slow down...

I expect that we will encounter a steady increase in page generation times as the database gets larger... Right now the database is under one megabyte in size...

Keep the other ideas flowing... Remember that I am a very slow person, so mods will take some time... My biggest concern right now is reliability and limiting the bandwidth we use, until I have an idea what this board is going to need...

Note that all mods have to be screened by me, by hand, before I can include them... Since I have absolutely no idea what I am doing, this will take time...

Here is a list of some mods that are available...

http://www.phpbb.com/mods/downloads/
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-08-16, 05:31   #5
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

5·29·59 Posts
Default Re: Couple of ideas/things to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormblade
First, would anyone be interested in having a field where your team name (if you are on a team) would show up under your name when you post? or maybe just be in your profile, so people could look if they wanted.. (would be optional of course, for those of you who are paranoid)
There is an option for "Usergroups"... I am still reading the documentation on it...

http://www.phpbb.com/guide/phpBB_Users_Guide.html#section4_4
Old 2002-08-16, 18:56   #6
outlnder

Aug 2002

31810 Posts

I tried to click on the Mersenne.org address to go over there and it isn't linked.

How about setting up some links to our projects pages. Mailing list, overall assignment pages, most recent client. Put it on the main page in case people don't see the topics right away.
outlnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-08-16, 20:14   #7
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

5·29·59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlnder
I tried to click on the Mersenne.org address to go over there and it isn't linked.
Fixed...
Old 2002-08-17, 15:16   #8
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

216B16 Posts

As you can see, we now have avatars... I hope these will not eat up our bandwidth... There are several hundred to choose from... To choose yours, just go into your profile... The option will be at the bottom... If you are on dialup the avatar preview screen will take a while to load...

I did not enable remote or uploadable avatars... There are just too many headaches associated with those...
Old 2002-08-17, 18:01   #9
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

5×29×59 Posts

Okay... I just broke the avatars...

I will have the problem fixed as soon as possible... :)
Old 2002-08-19, 01:15   #10
Kevin

Aug 2002
Ann Arbor, MI

6618 Posts

How about instead of adding current ranking, P-90 years, etc. to the forum, just make a link that directs you a person's team account page. Something would have to be added to the page for rankings, but that seems like it would be easier than trying to integrate everything into the forum. You might also want to do something so people can link to the page without showing their password, for the paranoid and people who don't have a protected account.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-08-19, 06:13   #11
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

24·173 Posts

Linking to the complete stats page is bad. TPR was hit by an idiot who started unreserving our exponents since our password was public. Instead use the info from the the following URL

http://mersenne.org/cgi-bin/primenet_user.pl?UserID=youraccountID

You don't need passwd and you can get the basic stats!!

PS: BTW, are you the Kevin on TPR? If so hello and drop by the Ars forum. I am trying to beat you in LL years!! :)
garo is offline   Reply With Quote