"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

19·232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskull View Post
What is the meaning of life for you?

Attachment 25917

Try to express it in just three words...
To post on MersenneForum.

Ah wait, this is for you.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-12, 20:41   #24
greenskull
Xebeche

Apr 2019
๐ŸŒบ๐Ÿ™๐ŸŒบ

5×89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
To post on MersenneForum.

Ah wait, this is for you.
mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge
What is the contradiction?
greenskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-12, 20:49   #25
greenskull
Xebeche

Apr 2019
๐ŸŒบ๐Ÿ™๐ŸŒบ

5·89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruoli View Post
According to Gรถdel, this is simply not possible in general. For simple questions, it might well be. You are seemingly looking for a "greater truth" or at least a truth that is not based on commonly accepted axioms. Then you would at least have to take a look at the incompleteness theorems.
Please read my very first post in this thread and pay attention to the words "for you".
We are not looking for absolute truth here. We are just exchanging points of view. To enrich our point of view with additional degrees of freedom.

Last fiddled with by greenskull on 2021-10-12 at 20:49
Old 2021-10-12, 21:11   #26
Viliam Furik

"Viliam Furรญk"
Jul 2018
Martin, Slovakia

79210 Posts

Quote:
Your thoughts, even if they are not written down, they determine your behavior, your choice of decisions, which, of course, also affects the life of you and everyone around you.

Some are weak, others are strong, and still others are dramatic or, if you like, epic.

You've read Bradbury, haven't you?
As I said, even if some specific thoughts have affected my behaviour, it does not matter on the scale of the universe. It changed something here, on the planet we call Earth, but it changed basically nothing in any galaxy far far away.

I did not read any book from anyone named Bradbury. I assume you meant Raymond Douglas Bradbury, whom I had to search for to know the name.
Viliam Furik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-12, 21:14   #27
Viliam Furik

"Viliam Furรญk"
Jul 2018
Martin, Slovakia

11000110002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruoli View Post
According to Gรถdel, this is simply not possible in general. For simple questions, it might well be. You are seemingly looking for a "greater truth" or at least a truth that is not based on commonly accepted axioms. Then you would at least have to take a look at the incompleteness theorems.
I like that there is someone else who applies Gรถdel's incompleteness theorems also in a philosophical context.
Old 2021-10-12, 21:37   #28
slandrum

Jan 2021
California

10058 Posts

Quote:
The value in the scale of Universe.
That's easy. 0.00000000000000000....
slandrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-12, 22:10   #29
greenskull
Xebeche

Apr 2019
๐ŸŒบ๐Ÿ™๐ŸŒบ

5·89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viliam Furik View Post
As I said, even if some specific thoughts have affected my behaviour, it does not matter on the scale of the universe. It changed something here, on the planet we call Earth, but it changed basically nothing in any galaxy far far away.

I did not read any book from anyone named Bradbury. I assume you meant Raymond Douglas Bradbury, whom I had to search for to know the name.
In connection with Bradburry, I will say two things:
1) Life is a non-ergodic process
2) Butterfly effect

And I repeat again - your even not written down thought predetermines your choice, which affects the rest of the world.
Sometimes it is enough to clap your hands for an avalanche to fall from the mountain and completely paralyze traffic on the road. The ambulance will not arrive on time, the person will die.
Reflect on this topic.
Old 2021-10-12, 22:27   #30
Viliam Furik

"Viliam Furรญk"
Jul 2018
Martin, Slovakia

23·32·11 Posts

Quote:
In connection with Bradburry, I will say two things:
1) Life is a non-ergodic process
2) Butterfly effect

And I repeat again - your even not written down thought predetermines your choice, which affects the rest of the world.
Sometimes it is enough to clap your hands for an avalanche to fall from the mountain and completely paralyze traffic on the road. The ambulance will not arrive on time, the person will die.
Reflect on this topic.
And I repeat again also... I agree it will change something here, on Earth, but on the scale of the universe, it DOESN'T MATTER. Or do you want to say, that avalanche on Earth caused any change somewhere in a galaxy that is billions of light-years away from us? And did you even read what you were quoting? I specifically wrote: "It changed something here, on the planet we call Earth, but it changed basically nothing in any galaxy far far away." - changed something, something can be anything, however small or large. I did not say it couldn't cause an avalanche. I said that even if it caused the annihilation of this planet, the effect of it would diminish quickly as we would move further and further from where the planet was.
Old 2021-10-13, 09:39   #31
greenskull
Xebeche

Apr 2019
๐ŸŒบ๐Ÿ™๐ŸŒบ

5·89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viliam Furik View Post
And I repeat again also... I agree it will change something here, on Earth, but on the scale of the universe, it DOESN'T MATTER. Or do you want to say, that avalanche on Earth caused any change somewhere in a galaxy that is billions of light-years away from us? And did you even read what you were quoting? I specifically wrote: "It changed something here, on the planet we call Earth, but it changed basically nothing in any galaxy far far away." - changed something, something can be anything, however small or large. I did not say it couldn't cause an avalanche. I said that even if it caused the annihilation of this planet, the effect of it would diminish quickly as we would move further and further from where the planet was.
Everything matters. Just to each their own.

Remember, every forest is based on one small seed, which was once accidentally brought here by the wind.

Last fiddled with by greenskull on 2021-10-13 at 09:42
Old 2021-10-13, 12:46   #32
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

184116 Posts

Quote:
What would you call the universal equivalent of value in the scale of Universe?
Nonexistent.

Notions of "value" relevant to humans in the material world pertain to subjective notions of worth or utility, e.g. the "value" of money, jewels, time, diligence, patience, etc. There is no "universal equivalent" of such things.

The more esoteric notion of the "intrinsic value of life" refers to the capacity of humans to experience life and appreciate the experiences (as opposed to just physically being alive). Again, there is no "universal equivalent."
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-13, 12:55   #33
greenskull
Xebeche

Apr 2019
๐ŸŒบ๐Ÿ™๐ŸŒบ

6758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Nonexistent.

Notions of "value" relevant to humans in the material world pertain to subjective notions of worth or utility, e.g. the "value" of money, jewels, time, diligence, patience, etc. There is no "universal equivalent" of such things.

The more esoteric notion of the "intrinsic value of life" refers to the capacity of humans to experience life and appreciate the experiences (as opposed to just physically being alive). Again, there is no "universal equivalent."
You should have said instead of - does not exist - I am unable to designate.

Someday I hope we will talk about this topic. It has nothing to do with esotericism.
Now, for reasons of humanity, I will refrain from developing this topic here.

Last fiddled with by greenskull on 2021-10-13 at 12:58