mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Forum Feedback

Old 2007-10-02, 01:07   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

DB116 Posts
Default Whose bright idea was this stupid feature?

The shortest communication ever was achieved by two men many, many years ago. One dude wanted to know how their jointly owned company was doing, so he sent a telegram:
Quote:
?
The response:
Quote:
!
This leads me to my question. What is the point of forcing people to put stuff in the message body when one sends a PM?

I understand that Xyzzy probably has no control over this feature, so this is simply an OCD rant.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 02:40   #2
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

79×101 Posts

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	post.png
Views:	190
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	1951  
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 09:29   #3
Mr. P-1

Jun 2003

116910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
The shortest communication ever was achieved by two men many, many years ago. One dude wanted to know how their jointly owned company was doing, so he sent a telegram:
I heard the same story about a correspondance between Victor Hugo and his publisher over how well hs book "Les Miserables" was doing.
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 09:41   #4
hhh

Jun 2005

373 Posts

I always wonder why when I enter a password, it shows up as ******, instead of being readable. This leads me not to pick things like $%&"! in the password, cause I never know if I get them right on a different languages keyboard.

In linux, once it even didn't show up at all. Hence every newbie in the pool room was desperate.

Only once I saw an intelligent design of a login feature: a small box you could check to get the *****, or to turn them of, don*t know anymore.
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 11:10   #5
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

295B16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh View Post
I always wonder why when I enter a password, it shows up as ******, instead of being readable. This leads me not to pick things like $%&"! in the password, cause I never know if I get them right on a different languages keyboard.

In linux, once it even didn't show up at all. Hence every newbie in the pool room was desperate.

Only once I saw an intelligent design of a login feature: a small box you could check to get the *****, or to turn them of, don*t know anymore.
To stop by-standers from reading your password off the screen.

Pau
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 13:26   #6
hhh

Jun 2005

373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
To stop by-standers from reading your password off the screen.

Pau
Ok, very funny. How often do you read mersenneforum with curious readers standing by? And care?

H.
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 14:14   #7
Spherical Cow

Nov 2004

22×33×5 Posts

Reminds one of the groaner blonde joke...she and a co-worker need to get on the boss's computer. "But it's password protected," one dismays.

"That's OK," the other replies. "I saw him type it in one day. It's really easy to remember: just five asterisks."

Norm
Spherical Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 16:25   #8
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2·7·829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh View Post
I always wonder why when I enter a password, it shows up as ******, instead of being readable.
I just use all-asterisks for my passwords - that way I am guaranteed to get what I see. "Ah!" You say - "but since you're only hitting one key, it would make it trivial for a would-be over-the-shoulder password-snoop to see what you're doing!" Not so - I have my keyboard customized so when I hit the secret "go into password mode" hotkey combination, every key except <enter> is aliased to *, so I can enter a random key combo, I just need to remember the length of the password in question. It's all very sneaky and devious, and I'm going to have to ask you all to forget you ever heard about it. "About what?", you say. "Exactly," I reply.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 16:41   #9
bsquared

"Ben"
Feb 2007

D2B16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
I just use all-asterisks for my passwords ...
For some reason this reminded me of an anecdote of Richard Feynmann's, when he was working at Los Alamos on the Manhattan project (from the book, "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynmann" - which I highly recommend).

He was a notorious safecracker, and so was asked to open a large safe for which the combo or key had been lost/forgotten. He tried and tried and eventually failed, so they called up a professional safecracker with a large drill. Before he started drilling, the pro decided to fiddle with the combo lock, and within a few seconds, opened it! Feynmann was awestruck, and demanded to know the technique. So the guy revealed, "well, this particular model of safe always comes from the factory with a pre-set combination, so I just tried it out". And it was guarding nuclear secrets!
bsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 16:44   #10
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

79·101 Posts

http://www.bash.org/?244321
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 16:52   #11
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

23·569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
This leads me to my question. What is the point of forcing people to put stuff in the message body when one sends a PM?
I ran across this for the first time yesterday ... I was able to enter ONLY a smiley, though
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote