Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Forum Feedback

Old 2005-10-14, 11:02   #1
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

205210 Posts
Question Multiple quotes

I am at a loss as to how to quote a particular post in Parts i.e using mutliple quotes and getting it appropriately framed as it is done at present.
Will someone kindly explain.
Thank you
Mally
mfgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-14, 11:31   #2
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

2×74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgoode

I am at a loss as to how to quote a particular post in Parts i.e using mutliple quotes and getting it appropriately framed as it is done at present.
Will someone kindly explain.
Thank you
Mally
If you want to quote a part of a message, all you have to do is using this template:

Code:
<open square bracket>
<write "quote">
<write "=">
<write the name of the quotee>
<close square bracket>
<copy the section you want to quote>
<open square bracket>
<write "/quote">
<close square bracket>
HTH

Luigi

Last fiddled with by S485122 on 2007-06-28 at 10:57
ET_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-14, 13:17   #3
fetofs

Aug 2005
Brazil

2×181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_
If you want to quote a part of a message, all you have to do is using this template:

Code:
<open square bracket>
<write "quote">
<write "=">
<write the name of the quotee>
<close square bracket>
<copy the section you want to quote>
<open square bracket>
<write "\quote">
<close square bracket>
HTH

Luigi
"/quote", not "\quote"!
fetofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-14, 14:18   #4
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

2·74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetofs
"/quote", not "\quote"!
Yes, you are right. [/QUOTE]
ET_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-14, 17:28   #5
Numbers

Jun 2005
Near Beetlegeuse

18416 Posts

If you see anything on the forum and ask yourself “How did he do that?” you can just click on the quote button and it will show you how he did it.
Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-14, 18:18   #6
Peter Nelson

Oct 2004

232 Posts

I had the same question as mfgoode but was afraid to ask.

I have been impressed by the way cheesehead and numbers use this facility.

However, the technique described to do it still looks a little like hard work to cut/paste formatting etc its unfortunate that it is not quicker and simpler to achieve these results. I don't think I'm competent enough so will probably continue to limit myself to one or two quotes per posting.
Peter Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-14, 18:30   #7
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

22×33×19 Posts
Talking Multiple Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nelson
However, the technique described to do it still looks a little like hard work to cut/paste formatting etc its unfortunate that it is not quicker and simpler to achieve these results. I don't think I'm competent enough so will probably continue to limit myself to one or two quotes per posting.
I completely agree with you. Yes cheesehead and numbers dont seem to have any trouble using it and do it pretty well.
Mally
P.S. I will take up Numbers' hint
mfgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-14, 20:39   #8
wblipp

"William"
May 2003
New Haven

3×787 Posts

Quote:
However, the technique described to do it still looks a little like hard work to cut/paste formatting etc
When making multiple small quotes from the same message, I start with the quote button. That gives me a reply box with a full quote box. I then copy and paste the quote box several times. Then I delete the parts I don't want from each quote box and add my own text between the boxes.

When I want quotes from multiple messages, I usually hit the quote button in a separate tab (IE users would need to use a separate window), then copy the box from that window to the one where I am composing a message. Occasionally it's easier to build the other box from scratch, and then I use the method described in this thread.
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-15, 18:34   #9
Peter Nelson

Oct 2004

232 Posts

Yes wblipp I understand the technique you are using.

This is not so bad if the original post you are quoting from is short.

If it is a LONG post, clicking quote is ok, but then when you copy/paste you make multiple copies of that long message to begin your edit.

Yes most of this will get hacked away with delete key, but in the meantime it is a bit unweildy to scroll up and down through, particularly when you're trying to think of which particular sentences you are commenting on.

If it WERE possible, a nicer way would be highlight a portion of a post, click "quote button" which would then place a new partial quote into your currently editing new post. I know it doesn't yet work that way but it would be more user friendly for these kind of multiple quotes, and allow people to grab quote snippets from more than one source post.
Peter Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-15, 19:12   #10
Unregistered

F3916 Posts
Default B74F

I'd say, the simplest way to break up a single quote into several passages is to write
"[/QUOTE]
"
in front of the quote, copy the
"[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=xyz]"
part and insert it between the snippits, eventually replacing unnecessary passages. Delete the initial
"[/QUOTE]"
and you're done.

Benjamin

Last fiddled with by S485122 on 2007-06-28 at 11:04
Old 2005-10-15, 19:13   #11
wblipp

"William"
May 2003
New Haven

3×787 Posts

Quote:
If it is a LONG post, clicking quote is ok, but then when you copy/paste you make multiple copies of that long message to begin your edit.
True. In that situation I first think hard about whether it's worth responding, as this medium is not conducive to cogent multi-threaded argumentation. If I go ahead anyway, I make the first short quote and duplicate that several times. Then I scroll down to the original text and grab the short quote I really want and place it in each of the successive boxes. I probably use this method more often than the one I described because I often don't know that I want more quotes until after I've started the response.
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote