Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > LaurV

Old 2021-01-08, 04:19   #1
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

100100001100102 Posts
Default Duolingo talking about American elections

Yep, I am learning German for a while. About 25 years, more exactly, since working in German companies in Asia, but I only can say "Hallo" and few other phrases, because my talent at learning languages is most probably MIA. But that's another story.

Duolingo has a nice application where you can learn many languages, if you want and if you are committed to it. Quite easy and entertaining, and better than watching cats and dogs doing funny things on youtube. You can also learn directly from the browser if you go to duolingo.com, but the app is what I want to talk about. The app has a series of animated character-persons that jump around the screen when you do well. Or, of course, they also behave sad when you miss the right answer. They are meant to motivate you to learn more, do more lessons, contribute with money (there is a "pro" feature which is not free, but you don't really need it, unless you want to be altruistic and support their efforts, which I do sometimes, but now I am not on a pro account). They appear in a random fashion. Some of them look like celebrities.They are all very funny. Something like the old paperclip office assistant.

That's what I got today, and I think Duo knows about American elections (yeah, these Owls* know everything!) and it just wanted to tell me its opinion about the Capitol "gathering" (see the two or three other threads here, related to elections, supreme commander, etc., see posts around this date - in case you read this in the future - I am too lazy to look for links).

Click image for larger version

Name:	trump no banana.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	24135

----
* Duolingo mascot is an owl called Duo

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2021-01-08 at 04:25
LaurV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-08, 06:48   #2
moebius

Jul 2009
Germany

22316 Posts

even the color is right....
moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-08, 07:20   #3
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

220628 Posts

Yes, , I was thinking about, and I have to confess that I re-did the lesson 3 or 4 times to catch it again and answer deliberately wrong (like saying kein instead of keine, for example, most people won't know anyhow, haha, and the green bar would also be red and the dialog would look like "I am not a banana", "you are wrong".

But I only got the same sentence once, during those trials (each lesson selects many sentences random, and according with your progress) and it was another "assistant", so I gave up (the assistant changes randomly with every sentence too, you can't control it).

But I may try again in the future. OCD in action .

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2021-01-08 at 07:29
Old 2021-01-08, 10:08   #4
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

24·101 Posts

In Germany, many foreign films are dubbed with a new German soundtrack.
So you could watch a film you already know but with all the speech in German instead.
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-08, 12:37   #5
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

295B16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
In Germany, many foreign films are dubbed with a new German soundtrack.
So you could watch a film you already know but with all the speech in German instead.
Here is a news site I sometimes visit

https://www.rtve.es/noticias/ to practice my Spanish comprehension when not in La Palma.

I am guessing that German equivalents exist.

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2021-01-08 at 12:40
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-08, 12:41   #6
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

136758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
In the UK a fair number of DVDs are dubbed into a number of European languages.

No idea whether they are readily available in Thailand.
They would also be region coded for Europe, so even if they are available outside of Europe (highly unlikely) LaurV would need an unencumbered player to play them.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-08, 13:24   #7
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

3×3,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
They would also be region coded for Europe, so even if they are available outside of Europe (highly unlikely) LaurV would need an unencumbered player to play them.
True, but such appear to be universally available. I have only had such types for years now.

Most anything can be bought from most anywhere in these days of Amazon and eBay.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-08, 16:26   #8
dleclair

Mar 2003

7·11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
I am guessing that German equivalents exist.
Langsam gesprochene Nachrichten
The Slowly Spoken News Reports

https://www.dw.com/de/deutsch-lernen/nachrichten/s-8030
dleclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-14, 10:23   #9
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2·41·113 Posts

The idea of the thread was the trump joke, and it wasn't my intention to make a language learning thread from it (for which we have different section in the forum), but I do appreciate all the (past and future) links to such resources. Thanks. The struggle with learning languages is mine, only, hehe. I told stories about it, in the past.
Old 2021-01-14, 14:34   #10
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

10DC16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
The idea of the thread was the trump joke, and it wasn't my intention to make a language learning thread from it (for which we have different section in the forum), but I do appreciate all the (past and future) links to such resources. Thanks. The struggle with learning languages is mine, only, hehe. I told stories about it, in the past.
The joke obviously is based on the quote I mentioned in this post about JFK's "Let them come to Berlin" speech.

WRT the Tyrant-Wannabe-in-Chief, there was a propaganda piece by RT News accusing Der Spiegel of calling him "the DEVIL" in a cover cartoon showing him sitting in the WH holding a lit match, while riots raged outside.

RT based its contention entirely on a mistranslation of the German word Feuerteufel, for which they used a literal translation of its component words Feuer (fire) and Teufel (devil) as the entire basis of its assertion that Der Spiegel had called him "the devil."

In fact, Feuerteufel actually means "firebug," a pyromaniac or arsonist.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2021-01-14 at 14:39 Reason: Forgot to capitalize German nouns
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-15, 01:59   #11
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2×41×113 Posts

You think too deep
Obviously there is a base/context in the forum, because without you guys talking so much about the orange guy I wouldn't know much about, and I wouldn't see much of a resemblance in the picture and text, but from here to some JFK talk which probably I didn't read, there is a long way. I was just thinking along the lines "I am not a banana, I am an orange"