mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2010-02-18, 22:21   #1
RhymeBomb

4,909 Posts
Angry Something is very wrong...

Hello everyone. In my hours of searching for a solution to a problem that's been building up over the past few months, I've managed to find this site, and this program. I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but I'm out of ideas and extremely desperate for a resolution.

My problem started about a few months ago, and continues today. Games downloaded through Steam, or files downloaded via a torrent program, almost invariably end up corrupted to some degree.

There is no sure way to fix this. In utorrent I can force check the corrupted file(s), and it always ends up finding something wrong which prompts it to redownload some of the torrent. The exact same thing happens with Steam when I verify a game's integrity. It will find an error and redownload sections of the game. If I check the game's integrity immediately afterward, it will do it again. It will do this as many times as I press the button. This has become a major annoyance as games aren't functioning properly and torrented files are corrupted to the point of uselessness.

However, it isn't just a downloading issue. I have some program backups saved on DVDs that I tried using, and most of them wouldn't work either. This is especially true for any program zipped up in a fragmented .rar.

I asked around and it was suggested it might be a problem with my hard drive. I have three hard drives on this computer, so I booted up another hard drive to see if the same thing would happen. It did. It was then suggested that it could be a problem with my RAM...which led me here.

The first time I ran Prime95, I got this a few seconds in:

[Thu Feb 18 15:00:23 2010]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

I don't know what this means, but I have a feeling it isn't good.

I am looking for any assistance. I'm sorry if I've provided too much (or too little) information, but I'm at wit's end right now and am one corrupted file away from taking a sledgehammer to this cursed piece of machinery.

My specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
8 gigs Corsair DDR2 RAM
GTX 285
Q6600
Old 2010-02-19, 08:56   #2
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

3·3,109 Posts

8Gb of memory is frequently picky. You may have something just with that. Don't take for granted that 2 pairs of 2Gb, all rated at 1066MHz will work off the bat (the m/b manufactureres always put a line that 8Gb is only guaranteed to work at 800MHz). But don't give up, you may tune it with some (maybe significant) work.

First, try to identify the problematic element - could be RAM, could be the CPU, could be the north bridge, or m/b, or combinations. To see if it is RAM (or memory controller), try memtest86+ . Could be overheating (and a separate problem is to find what is overheating), - get CoreTemp or similar. Try SuperPi or other similar tests (you already tried Prime95).

Second line of action, try to fix. Check some other forums - google the keywords of your problem. Slow memory is better than broken memory; - change memory frequency to a more conservative and retry the tests (memtest and Prime95). Try to go down to 4Gb (first one half, then another; different slots, too, but consult the m/b manual).

That's all just scratching the surface.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 18:17   #3
Unregistered

C5A16 Posts

I've managed to locate the problem...it was one of my memory sticks. I used that Windows memory diagnostic tool to test each one at a time. Now I have another, probably much more serious problem with either my video card or my power supply. One thing after another...

Thanks for your help!
Old 2010-02-20, 06:43   #4
NBtarheel_33

"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

5·223 Posts
Lightbulb Once you get things patched up...

...please consider joining us at GIMPS! That machine would be a welcome addition, especially with 8 gigs of RAM - that would help out immensely with P-1 factoring work. I think I also remember reading something about 64-bit boxes having an edge over 32-bit boxes in LL testing, and especially in trial factoring. So if you have spare cycles, please consider us !
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 15:40   #5
joblack

Oct 2008
n00bville

52×29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBtarheel_33 View Post
...please consider joining us at GIMPS! That machine would be a welcome addition, especially with 8 gigs of RAM - that would help out immensely with P-1 factoring work. I think I also remember reading something about 64-bit boxes having an edge over 32-bit boxes in LL testing, and especially in trial factoring. So if you have spare cycles, please consider us !
I've got 8 GB Ram, too. No biggy, I catched cheap noname memory before the RAM bubble started ^^ ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 23:41   #6
BlackOmega

7×17×37 Posts

This is just an FYI: RAM is the only thing that can cause write errors (unless the HDD is bad). I have yet to see even a failing cpu, produce write errors.
Old 2010-02-27, 06:22   #7
lfm

Jul 2006
Calgary

52·17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOmega View Post
This is just an FYI: RAM is the only thing that can cause write errors (unless the HDD is bad). I have yet to see even a failing cpu, produce write errors.
Write errors could also be caused by motherboard failures and even power supply problems.
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 09:53   #8
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

3·3,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfm View Post
Write errors could also be caused by motherboard failures and even power supply problems.
You would be amazed at how many ways a computer sub-system can go wrong. (Actually, I find it amazing that they work at all!)

Another few possible culprits: damaged cable between disk and motherboard. Damaged connector on disk and/or mother board. Wrongly seated disk cable at either or both ends.

I'm sure you get the idea by now.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote