mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2009-10-09, 11:35   #1
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

1010110001012 Posts
Default Obama's Performance (was "wins Nobel Peace prize")

I had to check the date on this one. I'm sure it will generate lots of comment so might as well open the thread. All our problems are solved now so let us go home.

Last fiddled with by garo on 2009-12-30 at 10:46
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 12:15   #2
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

5·1,249 Posts

From this article I see this comment:

Quote:
"So soon? Too early. He has no contribution so far. He is still at an early stage. He is only beginning to act," said former Polish President Lech Walesa, a 1983 Nobel Peace laureate.
"This is probably an encouragement for him to act. Let's see if he perseveres. Let's give him time to act," Walesa said.
and then we see this:

Quote:
Archbishop Desmond Tutu of South Africa, who won the prize in 1984, said Obama's award shows great things are expected from him in coming years.
I also see this:

Quote:
The award appeared to be a slap at President George W. Bush from a committee that harshly criticized Obama's predecessor for his largely unilateral military action in the wake of the Sept. 11 terror attacks.
and this:

Quote:
Obama ordered 21,000 additional troops to Afghanistan earlier this year and has continued the use of unmanned drones for attacks on militants in Afghanistan and Pakistan, a strategy devised by the Bush administration. The attacks often kill or injure civilians living in the area.
I voted for Obama because I did not trust the Bush administration and the Bush wannabes, but this is over the top. We have two former winners state that the award is being used to prompt Obama into action. We then have the author state how this is a "slap in the face" to Bush, yet Obama has continued many of Bush's policies.

I'm curious who on this forum thinks that he deserves the prize, considering that he has done so little. He hasn't been president for even a year yet and has not resolved the nuclear proliferation issues, namely North Korea and Iran. Doesn't anyone see that the possibility of going to war with Iran is fairly high during his presidency?

Last fiddled with by rogue on 2009-10-09 at 12:18
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 13:06   #3
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

3·919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garo View Post
I had to check the date on this one.
That it wasn't April 1st.

rogue, it would be quite an irony if Obama goes to war with Iran after having won the Nobel peace prize. The prospect of that happening is still non-zero.
Old 2009-10-09, 13:35   #4
Fusion_power

Aug 2003
Snicker, AL

7×137 Posts

He is so far a do little president with a habit of talking when he should be listening.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 15:56   #5
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I'm curious who on this forum thinks that he deserves the prize, considering that he has done so little. He hasn't been president for even a year yet and has not resolved the nuclear proliferation issues, namely North Korea and Iran. Doesn't anyone see that the possibility of going to war with Iran is fairly high during his presidency?
I am a strong Obama supporter. I do not believe that he deserves the prize at all.

As previously stated, he has no track record.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 16:06   #6
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

3×919 Posts
Default Linky dinks

http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2009/...ins-nobel.html

http://blogs.ft.com/rachmanblog/2009...l-peace-prize/
Old 2009-10-10, 01:21   #7
David John Hill Jr

Jun 2003
Pa.,U.S.A.

19610 Posts
Default 'Laudo' decision.

While the transgression to Lincoln was obnoxiuos, along party lines,
the connection to the Nobel prize via Jane Addams (my cousin down the road),
is not. Jane received the prize for her work in Hull House Chicago.The President from the beginning of his Chicago career was focusing along similar lines, with a difference: he took it to a higher level,the presidency.
Beyond that I will not comment, for there are objectionable proceedings.
Jane's father was a co-founder ,with Lincoln of the Republican party.She claimed a connection to John Quincy, which in my opinion could date back to 1809 and the naval blockade, when Quincy Adams took off .(Long before the current political setup)
David John Hill Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-12, 04:12   #8
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

3·53·73 Posts

LOL@Mankiw ... I disagree with him on many things economic, but at least he has a keen wit.

The wonderful German expression 'Vorschusslorbeeren" seems apt. This announcement could well have gone into the "news that makes you go WTF?" thread. Seems the Norwegians have been smoking the same Hopium as the economists who think that except for those pesky millions of jobless folks and a couple tens of trillions of $ in debt overhang, the recession is over.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-12, 04:41   #9
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

24×11×53 Posts
Default Vorschusslorbeeren, ja-ja

Not only apt, but that's exactly what comes back as one of the top hits
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-12, 04:49   #10
Zeta-Flux

May 2003

7×13×17 Posts

I seem to share the opinion of Bill O'Reilly. While I understand why some might think that Obama doesn't deserve the award, I for one congratulate him. Furthermore, I think the award recognizes that Obama's rhetoric regarding peace represents the hope of most Americans; we are a country that desires and works for peace in the world.
Zeta-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-12, 08:10   #11
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

3·3,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta-Flux View Post
Furthermore, I think the award recognizes that Obama's rhetoric regarding peace represents the hope of most Americans; we are a country that desires and works for peace in the world.
"We come in peace, shoot to kill".

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote